McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 18, 2009, 06:39:39 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 18, 2009, 06:25:28 PM
Any one know tyrone team and scorers from today?

18 Jan 2009

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Rd 3

Tyrone 1-18 Monaghan 0-17

Tyrone - J Curran, M McGee, Joe McMahon, P Jordan (Captain), D Harte, P Donnelly, M Swift, E McGinley (1-1), A Cassidy, R Mellon, T McGuigan (0-1), R Mulgrew, G Devlin (0-2), S Cavanagh (0-7), S O'Neill (0-7)

Monaghan - P McBennett, D McArdle, M McNulty, G McEnaney, V Corey, J Conlon, C McManus (0-1), D Clerkin (0-1), P Finlay (0-1), K Hughes, S Smith, D Freeman, C Hanratty, B McKenna, T Freeman (0-10)

http://www.tyronegaa.ie/county/football/news/story.jsp?newsid=739
Monaghan's scores don't add up to 0-17 - i don't think subs have been included. Didn't Dessie Mone put one over? Can't recall who else.

Schkite

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 18, 2009, 06:54:06 PM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 18, 2009, 06:39:39 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 18, 2009, 06:25:28 PM
Any one know tyrone team and scorers from today?

18 Jan 2009

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Rd 3

Tyrone 1-18 Monaghan 0-17

Tyrone - J Curran, M McGee, Joe McMahon, P Jordan (Captain), D Harte, P Donnelly, M Swift, E McGinley (1-1), A Cassidy, R Mellon, T McGuigan (0-1), R Mulgrew, G Devlin (0-2), S Cavanagh (0-7), S O'Neill (0-7)

Monaghan - P McBennett, D McArdle, M McNulty, G McEnaney, V Corey, J Conlon, C McManus (0-1), D Clerkin (0-1), P Finlay (0-1), K Hughes, S Smith, D Freeman, C Hanratty, B McKenna, T Freeman (0-10)

http://www.tyronegaa.ie/county/football/news/story.jsp?newsid=739
Monaghan's scores don't add up to 0-17 - i don't think subs have been included. Didn't Dessie Mone put one over? Can't recall who else.

Yep Dessie scored one, as did Paul McGuigan and Paul Meegan scored 2.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 18, 2009, 06:46:00 PM
7 points again for O'Neill.  From waht I;ve seen so far he's improved even further from his 2005 form.  Scary!

McKenna Cup alert!! McKenna Cup alert!!

pintsofguinness

For God sake, I could score 7 points in the McKenna cup.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The GAA

ah now pints. not after thon burger....

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The GAA on January 18, 2009, 07:16:29 PM

ah now pints. not after thon burger....
Nonsense, I could eat that burger at half time and go out and kick another 7.

cadhlancian

Quote from: downgirl on January 18, 2009, 06:21:47 PM
Will the final be in Casement again?  Or does it depend on who gets through?  Have flights booked home for next weekend anyway so fingers crossed!!  ;D
please tell me you didnt book flights home for a McKenna cup final ::)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 18, 2009, 07:25:56 PM
Quote from: downgirl on January 18, 2009, 06:21:47 PM
Will the final be in Casement again?  Or does it depend on who gets through?  Have flights booked home for next weekend anyway so fingers crossed!!  ;D
please tell me you didnt book flights home for a McKenna cup final ::)
Why wuoldnt she? Sure it's like an All Ireland Final for the down ones. 

downgirl

No no had them booked in November...then Aer Arann went and changed their Belfast - Cork Sunday night flight time from 8.10pm to 4.10pm.  Not a happy bunny!!

Ah now pints its not like an All Ireland Final to us...just the Ulster Final  :P

Redhandfan

I have to agree with the others on this board who braved the conditions in Omagh to see this game.....feck, that was one bitterly cold day in Healy Park.  I wonder if our beloved county board or even Club Tyrone might consider raising a few bob to get some heaters placed in the stand!!!

Given the very heavy underfoot conditions and time of year, this was fairly entertaining stuff.  Fair play to both teams for doing their best to put on a show.  Thirty six scores aint half bad, although one wonders if the new rules that prevent defenders from making any kind of a tackle contributed to this scoring spree.  It really will be interesting to see how these new rules go down in the forthcoming N.F.L. when the ante is upped somewhat and things become a bit more 'physical'.

Anyhow, that is for another day.  I was quite pleased with the Tyrone effort today....the two previous games with Down and St Mary's had obviously brought the team on quite a bit.  The players looked so much sharper and the football produced was a lot more fluent.  For the month of January, it was great to see the appetite shown by some of our more established players like McMahon, Jordan, McGinley, Mellon, Cavanagh and O'Neill.  3 All-Irelands have clearly not diluted their interest in any way!  I also feel a good bit more confident now about taking on the Dubs in a fortnight's time.

Today's game was further proof that guys like Swift, Cassidy and Devlin would all be worthy additions to this season's N.F.L. and Championship squads.  Who makes way for them, however, is the burning question.  Swift seems certain to take over from the injured Damien McCaul but I reckon Mickey will want to have Cassidy and Devlin on board as well.  Both men did all that was asked of them in their two outings against Down and Monaghan.   O'Donnell and McAnulla also impressed when given the chance against St Mary's but both are still U-21 and it will be interesting to see if Mickey decides to hold on to them.  The other newcomers will do well to break on to the NFL squad at this stage, although I am sure there are plans for a couple of in-house trial games to see if they can still force their way into contention.

I believe there is talk of the Armagh v Donegal McKenna Cup semi-final being played in Omagh this coming Wednesday.  I just wonder of the Healy Park pitch will be fit to hold it.  The field was so heavy today that there was little or no bounce whenever the ball hit the ground.  The weather forecast is also terrible for the next few days, so the pitch is not likely to get any better.  

tyroneman

Excellent performance today, thought Cassidy did very well in MF, took the wrong option a few times but more often than not was very positive, at least now we will have some decent competition in the MF (what age is he BTW?).

Mulgrew had some nice touches but overall was not doing nearly enough to warrant a starting place. Shame really as the fella has skill to burn but seems to lack confidence.

SON was excellent. Can be very hard on himself if things don't go right and in the first 15min I was bit worried that his head would maybe drop when whatever he was trying just wasn't coming off. One sublime point from the left and that all changed...excellent from thereonin.

Cavanagh..no more needs said - an 8/10 performance form a man who didn't need to slip out of 3rd gear. Always there to make the block, make the pass, make an interception (in his own full back line when required)

Defence played ok but still conceded a lot of scores. Admittedly the ref did all he could to put them over himself but that's another story.

Enda, Tommy looked sharp enough. Davy very steady, always there to take the sensible ball out.

Main Street

An entertaining enough game in the poor conditions.
Tyrone back line were good and swallowed up most of the high balls lobbed their way with ease.
Not bad for the AI champions to have a Stephen O'Neill to return to strengthen the team even more.

ziggysego

SoN was superb. Some of his touches on the ball were outstanding and showed he's lost none of that magic. Early days yet, but it's looking good in the Tyrone camp for the year ahead.
Testing Accessibility

thejuice

Tyrone and monaghan were in great form today. the 2 month lay-of wasnt so bad was it. Good game for this time of year.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

corn02

Great game today considering the time of the year. O'Neill probably just about deserved man-of-the-match but McGuigan can't have been too far behind. Clerkin was very good for Monaghan, was funny watching him flinging Cavanagh around a few times near the end, Clerkin is a beast of a man. Cassidy impressive and McGinley, as usual, was very good.