McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornerback

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 11, 2009, 06:44:36 PM
Derry 0-10 0-13 UUJ

UUJ beat Derry 0-13 to 0-10 in Sunday's Gaelic Life McKenna Cup Section A game at Ballinascreen.Derry led 0-7 to 0-4 at half-time but UUJ fought back to win and put a major dent in Derry's hopes of making the semi-finals of the competition.Ciaran Donnelly scored eight points from frees for UUJ, three in the first half and five in the second period, and they next play Fermanagh on Wednesday. Seamus Bradley top-scored for Derry with three frees. The Oak Leafers drew their opening game against Fermanagh last week and now face Donegal next Sunday with only one point from their opening two fixtures. Adrian McGuckin's UUJ side lost to Donegal last week but still have a chance to qualify as they prepare to head to Enniskillen on Wednesday night.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7823093.stm

Well that isn't right either, he did get three frees but he also scored two from play

nrico2006

Previously MH would have played alot of the bigger Tyrone players and this has came back to haunt Tyrone throughout the season with lots of the key players picking up injuries etc.  In 2006 and 2007 Tyrone were flying in the McKenna Cup but seemed to go downhill as the season wore on - it could be a coincidence, or maybe not.  I'm not saying that the McKenna Cup is entirely responsible, but there is enough football to be played with the league and its important to rest a certain number of key players when the chance is there.  Its a good opportunity for MH to run his eyes over fringe players or newcomers also and give returning players like SON some valuable game time.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

downredblack

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 12, 2009, 09:15:39 AM
Good to see Tyrone back in action, although not much was expected of a team made up largely of fringe players and most of whom were only back from the team holiday.  In particular, brilliant to see SON back in action and scoring against a Down side with many championship regulars.    I am glad lessons have been learnt from the past few years with regard to how MH views the McKenna cup.

Harte started 7 or 8 established county players and brought on a few more ,  Probably the same as Down .

lfdown2

Mickey Harte called on 11 of the all-ireland winning side according to RTE, of Down's 15+ yesterday about 9 played championship football last year (open to correction)

Orior

Quote from: lfdown2 on January 12, 2009, 11:08:32 AM
Mickey Harte called on 11 of the all-ireland winning side according to RTE, of Down's 15+ yesterday about 9 played championship football last year (open to correction)

Did Michaela get a run out?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

timmyot501

Monaghan 1-10  1-13  St Marys

B Mullan, M Digney, C McElhone, K O'Boyle, S O'Neill (0-1), J McMahon (0-1), B Óg Maguire (0-1), G O'Neill, M McKenna, B McGoldrick (0-2), K Niblock, N McSherry, C McGourty (1-6), J Kelly, M Pollock (0-2).
Subs - M Murray for Digney, J Cunningham for McSherry, P Carvill for Niblock.

P McBennett, G McEnaney, JP Mone, Edmund Lennon, D Clerkin, D Mone, K Hughes, Eoin Lennon (Capt., 0-1), B McKenna, M McNally (0-1), M Downey (0-1), C McManus (1-1), R Woods, S Smyth (0-1), P Meegan (0-1).
Subs - P Finlay (0-2) for Woods, J Conlon for D Mone, T Freeman (0-1) for McNally, S Gollogly (0-1) for Meegan, M McNally for JP Mone

cavan4ever

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 12, 2009, 10:26:17 AM
Previously MH would have played alot of the bigger Tyrone players and this has came back to haunt Tyrone throughout the season with lots of the key players picking up injuries etc.  In 2006 and 2007 Tyrone were flying in the McKenna Cup but seemed to go downhill as the season wore on - it could be a coincidence, or maybe not.  I'm not saying that the McKenna Cup is entirely responsible, but there is enough football to be played with the league and its important to rest a certain number of key players when the chance is there.  Its a good opportunity for MH to run his eyes over fringe players or newcomers also and give returning players like SON some valuable game time.

That doesn't make sence resting players at the start of a season after the majority haven't played for over 2 months.

uselessfootballer

O'Neill didn't get 7 pts, he got 5 (3 from frees), Cavanagh, Mulgrew, Devlin and McGuigan got a point each

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Rois

Quote from: cavan4ever on January 12, 2009, 11:49:38 AM

That doesn't make sence resting players at the start of a season after the majority haven't played for over 2 months.

I would disagree, the chances of a key player picking up an injury are greatly increased if they play competitive county football for 9 months of the year, rather than coming in towards the latter stages of the league.  A break of two months is hardly a lifetime away from the game.  Some of the older players need a bit of time out so I'm with nrico on this one.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Rois on January 12, 2009, 12:21:44 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on January 12, 2009, 11:49:38 AM

I would disagree, the chances of a key player picking up an injury are greatly increased if they play competitive county football for 9 months of the year, rather than coming in towards the latter stages of the league.  A break of two months is hardly a lifetime away from the game.  Some of the older players need a bit of time out so I'm with nrico on this one.

We don't have that luxury in cavan :(

Rois

Quote from: cavan4ever on January 12, 2009, 12:23:48 PM
We don't have that luxury in cavan :(

Well, learn from the master, have your major players rest during the McKenna Cup  :P

Big Mickey

Queens lineout vs armagh

1. f.Murphy (fermanagh)
2.L. Howard (Down)
3. N.mcgovern (fermanagh)
4. H.gallagher (tyrone)
5. R.Dillion (derry)
6. D. O'Hagan (antrim)
7. J.Crozier (Antrim)
8. P.Courtney (armagh)
9. C.vernon (armagh)
10. B Mcardle (down)
11. C. Mcginn (down)
12. SL Mcgoldrick (derry)
13. J.Keilt (derry)
14. S. Oneil (tyrone)
15. K. leonard (fermanagh)

If queens beat antrim on wednesday then they should be the first university team to qualify for the mckenna cup semi finals

The GAA

Quote from: downgirl on January 11, 2009, 05:31:46 PM
Glad to see we can STILL beat the All-Ireland champions  :P

When did you last beat all ireland champions?

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: The GAA on January 12, 2009, 01:02:19 PM
Quote from: downgirl on January 11, 2009, 05:31:46 PM
Glad to see we can STILL beat the All-Ireland champions  :P

When did you last beat all ireland champions?

Yesterday.