McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Down 3-16 0-10 St Mary's

Down began the defence of their Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup title with a thumping 15-point win over St Mary's at Pairc Esler in Newry. The students had led 0-8 to 0-7 at half-time with Barry McGoldrick landing five of their points, but Ross Carr's Down dominated in the second half. Cathal Magee scored from a penalty in the first minute after the restart after he had been fouled. Magee scored another goal 10 minutes later with John Fagan adding the third. St Mary's did not score in the second half until 10 minutes from time when CJ McCourty pointed. Down had two players yellow-carded and they had to be replaced under the new rules. Aidan Carr came on for John Boyle while Stephen Kearney was replaced by Michael Magee.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7808533.stm

never kickt a ball

Armagh 0-12 0-10 Antrim

Armagh had just two points to spare over Antrim in their Gaelic Life McKenna Cup opener. They led 0-6 to 0-3 at half-time but Antrim, in their first match under new manager Liam Bradley, fought back to level at seven points each. Armagh pulled away with four straight points scored by Malachy Mackin, Brian Mallon, J P Donnelly and Conor Clarke. Antrim pair Conor McGoldrick and Aiden Gallagher had to be replaced after picking up yellow cards.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7810664.stm

Have you ever seen a more miserable report?

never kickt a ball

UUJ 0-13 3-14 Donegal

Three second-half goals gave Donegal victory over the students in the Gaelic Life McKenna Cup opener at Ballybofey. Donegal led 0-9 to 0-5 at half-time before captain Brian Roper, Stephen Griffen (pen) and Ross Wherrity added the goals. Griffen top-scored with 1-7 although UUJ's Ciaran Donnelly also shone with eight points, all from frees. Raymond Sweeney made his first appearance for Donegal in two years as a substitute in the second half. UUJ pair Stephen McAleer and Kieran Nolan, along with Donegal's Paddy McDaid, were dismissed and replaced after receiving yellow cards.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7810705.stm

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Doire abú on January 04, 2009, 04:08:54 PM
Who is the Jones that scored a point for Derry?

Michael Jones is a Fermanagh man. Either he scored an own point, Derry have made a transfer coup from Wales GAA or the BBC have fucked up a report
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

never kickt a ball

Quote from: whiskeysteve on January 04, 2009, 06:11:41 PM
Quote from: Doire abú on January 04, 2009, 04:08:54 PM
Who is the Jones that scored a point for Derry?

Michael Jones is a Fermanagh man. Either he scored an own point, Derry have made a transfer coup from Wales GAA or the BBC have fucked up a report

Fermanagh squad : Hugh Brady, Chris Breen, Pat Cadden, Ryan Carson, James Connolly, Enda Ferris, Rory Foy, Ronan Gallagher, Shane Goan, Michael Jones, Paul Johnson, Raymond Johnston, Damien Kelly, Ryan Keenan, Daniel Kille, Niall Leonard, Shane Lyons, Eamon Maguire, Liam McBarron, Shane McDermott, Ciaran McElroy, Tom McElroy, Martin McGrath, Darren McQuaid, Shane O'Brien, Ciaran O'Reilly, Seamus Ryder, James Sherry, Peter Sherry, Paul Ward.

He might have got a point for Fermanagh then.

J70

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 04, 2009, 06:04:02 PM
UUJ 0-13 3-14 Donegal

Three second-half goals gave Donegal victory over the students in the Gaelic Life McKenna Cup opener at Ballybofey. Donegal led 0-9 to 0-5 at half-time before captain Brian Roper, Stephen Griffen (pen) and Ross Wherrity added the goals. Griffen top-scored with 1-7 although UUJ's Ciaran Donnelly also shone with eight points, all from frees. Raymond Sweeney made his first appearance for Donegal in two years as a substitute in the second half. UUJ pair Stephen McAleer and Kieran Nolan, along with Donegal's Paddy McDaid, were dismissed and replaced after receiving yellow cards.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7810705.stm

Nice to see Raymond Sweeney back in the fold. Hopefully he's good enough to stay there, as we could have used him over the past few seasons. Class footballer.

Stephen Griffin is flying the flag well for my own club - hopefully he'll make the grade: we haven't been exactly overburdened with intercounty players over the years (they all seem to crop up across the parish border, with Four Masters), while Donegal could do with another scoring forward!

never kickt a ball

Quote from: cavan4ever on January 04, 2009, 05:40:40 PM
When next round?

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Section A

Team 1   Team 2   Venue                  Date                   Time      
Derry    U.U.J    Ballinascreen   11/01/2009                 14:00   
Donegal    Fermanagh Ballyshannon   11/01/2009           14:00   

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Section B

Team 1   Team 2   Venue                                Date           Time   
Monaghan    St. Marys    Emyvale                           11/01/2009   14:00   
Down    Tyrone    Pairc Esler Newry Down      11/01/2009   14:00   

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Section C

Team 1   Team 2   Venue                                        Date            Time   
Antrim    Cavan    Casement Park Belfast Antrim   11/01/2009   14:00      
Queens University    Armagh    Davitt Park, Lurgan   11/01/2009   14:00   

haranguerer

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 04, 2009, 03:36:06 PM
Fermanagh are useless f**kers.
:P :D

Thats the most one sided draw I've seen in my life - if you'd been at it nail you'd have had the money spent with ten min to go. Still, I'm sure come championship time we'll have learnt to take our scores and close out matches... :-\

Who was 13 for Derry? Looked good, but about as sharp as you'd expect for this time of yr. Any new defenders for Fermaangh did well, thats each defender now covered about 4 times over, new forwards didn't do anything to suggest they'll have influence in the summer,Carson will be there though, and O Brien too, tho he didn't get much chance today. Shudda been him taking that last free to win it.

screenexile

Ginger haired fella? I think it was probably Seamus Bradley, if not it was Paul Bradley. Heard Derry showed plemty of rustiness today but I would expect a comprehensive victory over UUJ judging by what I heard today against Donegal they sounded keek!

whiskeysteve

Screenexile would love it to have been Seamus  ;)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Baile an tuaigh

Very convincing win for the Down men today. They proved they can mix it with the big boy's after defeating the All-Ireland champions in Ulster last year. I have a gut feeling they won't be that far away this year.

David McKeown

Time for my annual moan and whinge about prices for games at this time of year again.  This year there was again no student fee at a match (Armagh v Antrim) in a competition that involves universities.  I would like to see some consistency and common sense on this issue form the GAA.

Any one know of student rates at any games?

End of rant
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

never kickt a ball

Quote from: David McKeown on January 04, 2009, 07:55:20 PM
Time for my annual moan and whinge about prices for games at this time of year again.  This year there was again no student fee at a match (Armagh v Antrim) in a competition that involves universities.  I would like to see some consistency and common sense on this issue form the GAA.

Any one know of student rates at any games?

End of rant

What annoys me is the secrecy surrounding the admission cost to GAA games. Most people never know the price (unless it is all ticket) until they turn up at the gate. That has to be wrong.

oakleaf stateside

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on January 04, 2009, 03:39:39 PM
Thay led the whole way til the last 5!  >:(
its not over till the fat chicks sings ;)u should no carmen
Dont Do It

oakleaf stateside

derrys no.13 was joe diver.bumble was 15
Dont Do It