McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 26, 2008, 10:36:24 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 26, 2008, 09:50:00 PM
I know it's only January and blah blah but this Down side were as fit and as hungry as I've seen from a Mourne team in a decade.

Agree with you there. They appear to be doing and saying the right things and they have a freshness about them. Like all the good Down sides in the past if they continue to improve under their current management they might just prove difficult to beat as the year progresses.
I agree.  I watched them tonight in Casement and was very impressed with them
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

KIDDO

PSNI were  operating a speed camera on the motorway  last night , no doubt trying to nab motorists on their way to CasementPark ,this would hardly happen in Cavan, Omagh, Newry, orClones , while  at the venue ,  after enduring a long delay at  one of the turnstiles, spectators were then told  by the operator he had no change , but that they could go to another turnstile, no change for such an important game,  but again this is the  body that managed to lose  the entire takings  for the Monaghan v Derry tie last summer. Abody that then had the audacity to award the man who lost this money, an award at the Ulster gaa dinner in November , incompetance still runs rife in the Ulster council

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: dundrumite on January 26, 2008, 10:00:11 PM
Quote from: Estimator on January 26, 2008, 08:41:37 PM
Is there any point catching the ball in midfield??

Terrific point. One of the skills of our game is being wiped away. When a player plucks the ball out of the sky more often than not he is surrounded by the opposition and generally gets blown up for over carrying. Had this discussion before and a compromise suggestion being introducing the mark rule from a kick out??? I think it would be a great rule to introduce.

As far as I can see Gordon is of the few midfielders who cannot move when he hits the ground, he lands static explaining why he getting surrounded so often by the opposing team. There are not many other midfielders playing who get tied up after making a great catch, so i don't think we need to change the rules to help one player who lands statically instead of landing on the move,i.e. Fergal Doherty, I have never seen him being bottled up after a catch in my life time watching him

Quote from: KIDDO on January 27, 2008, 12:50:55 AM
PSNI were  operating a speed camera on the motorway  last night , no doubt trying to nab motorists on their way to CasementPark ,this would hardly happen in Cavan, Omagh, Newry, orClones , while  at the venue ,  after enduring a long delay at  one of the turnstiles, spectators were then told  by the operator he had no change , but that they could go to another turnstile, no change for such an important game,  but again this is the  body that managed to lose  the entire takings  for the Monaghan v Derry tie last summer. Abody that then had the audacity to award the man who lost this money, an award at the Ulster gaa dinner in November , incompetance still runs rife in the Ulster council

Thats an awful mouthful...how can one man who got a kicking, doing what he was asked to do by the ulster council have so little respect from KIDDO...twat. It was the Ulster council systems that were to blame. Asking one man to transport £20,000 odd thoausand in the back of his car, an excerise that was routinely done after games in the north shows how stupid some of the peole we have running our games.

armaghniac

QuotePSNI were  operating a speed camera on the motorway  last night , no doubt trying to nab motorists on their way to CasementPark

What's the problem with this, exactly?  is it OK for people going to Casement to speed in a way that it is not OK if they are going to work, going to the cinema etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on January 27, 2008, 12:46:20 PM
QuotePSNI were  operating a speed camera on the motorway  last night , no doubt trying to nab motorists on their way to CasementPark

What's the problem with this, exactly?  is it OK for people going to Casement to speed in a way that it is not OK if they are going to work, going to the cinema etc.
Exactly - well said.  And a touch of paranoia from the first poster perhaps. Surely the police have speed cameras out every Saturday night, no?

orangeman

Dwon were brilliant last night and fair dues to them - but I think the captain went over baord a wee bit with the speech - don't get carried away with the win -

But again fair dues to them.

dundrumite

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 27, 2008, 11:12:51 AM

Terrific point. One of the skills of our game is being wiped away. When a player plucks the ball out of the sky more often than not he is surrounded by the opposition and generally gets blown up for over carrying. Had this discussion before and a compromise suggestion being introducing the mark rule from a kick out??? I think it would be a great rule to introduce.

As far as I can see Gordon is of the few midfielders who cannot move when he hits the ground, he lands static explaining why he getting surrounded so often by the opposing team. There are not many other midfielders playing who get tied up after making a great catch, so i don't think we need to change the rules to help one player who lands statically instead of landing on the move,i.e. Fergal Doherty, I have never seen him being bottled up after a catch in my life time watching him

I think your slightly off the mark (excuse the pun ) here Max, It happens up and down the country at all levels off football where a player maks a catch, and upon landing either has his momentum halted by being pushed back or as you say gets surrounded by landing static. Either way one of the finer skills of gaelic football almost being punished. Added to this the introduction of a mark rule may see teams trying to concentrate on catching kickouts as opposed to stopping the opposition from catching. Just a suggestion I feel that may be worth a try

jodyb

Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2008, 10:27:34 PM
I think we were maybe getting a bit carried away a hiding like that will hopefully waken a few boys up for the Mayo match... season starts next Saturday!
Additionally screenexile, you're talkin about a far from full strength Derry side (as you'd probably expect for mckenna cup). With Doc, Sean Marty, Mc cloy from the start, mark Lynch, Michael Mc Goldrick, G O Kane, big Diver etc they're a completely different proposition. I'd be happy for them just to stay in Div 1. Any word on Paul cartin? is he back on the panel? I thought he was big loss last year.

never kickt a ball

The 2008 McKenna Cup Final can now be watched on the following link:

http://www.tg4.ie

jodyb

Once watchin it was quite enough thank you

orangeman

Derry with their starting back six will be very difficult to break down - I thought young Enda Lynn was playing ok but was taken off early on - others who didn't seem to be doing that well were kept on - any thoughts ?? Derry's forwards looked very lightweight last night -

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Leo on January 25, 2008, 10:01:08 AM
Quote from: ExiledGael on January 24, 2008, 11:38:07 PM
Cameras all lined up at the back of the stand beside press box. Looks like a good enough facility on the opposite side of the firld in Omagh.
IF they had any interest in the real promotion of our games, or IF the GAA would use their brains and order them to do so, it would surely have been possible to film from that side of the ground and show the few thousand that attended as well.

I wrote to TG4 about this lat year and got a wooly reply about resources etc.
Three recet games at Esler Park where the purpose built gantry opposite the stand is has power, ducting etc in place - unused because aan amateur camera crew want to be beside their mates from the print media in the press box.
My main point is that the GAA are at fault.

Credit where it's due Leo. TG4 walked across the pitch to broadcast the final with the crowd in the background - something beyond the UTV cameras tonight  ::) Maybe your letter had the desired effect.

Leo

I have been banging on about this for years and cant understand why team managers as a group or some of the GAA "think tanks" dont address it properly.

First of all in most of the incidents you will see immediate and constant physical contact with the player as he comes to ground and forcing him into an unplayable situation. This a foul on the player in possession.

Secondly it doesnt take a mark to be introduced - a simple common sense approach from referees giving a player who fields a ball above his head a fair opportunity to play it once he comes to ground. If he overstes this then penalise but give the poor bugger a fighting chance and stop the ugly mauling that he is currently subjected to.

If I was Donal Gordon I would prefer the full forward role!
Fierce tame altogether