McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Lynch set to lead UUJ into battle
Mark Lynch will have the added responsibility of leading UUJ when they face Donegal in the McKenna Cup in Ballybofey on Thursday (2000 GMT). The Derry utility star, now in his third year at Jordanstown, stands in for Peter Donnelly who is out with a broken arm. Following QUB's win over Monaghan at the weekend, the Jordanstown students will be keen to follow suit. Donegal will be without key defenders Karl Lacey and Barry Dunion.

Gaelic Life McKenna Cup fixtures
Thursday, 3 January, Section B: Donegal v UUJ, Ballybofey (2000 GMT)
Saturday, 5 January, Section C: Queen's University v Antrim, Casement Park (1800)
Sunday, 6 January, Section A: St Mary's v Fermanagh, Lisnaskea (1400); Section B: Armagh v Derry, Lurgan (1400); UUJ v Tyrone, Omagh (1400); Section C: Cavan v Monaghan, Breffni Park (1400).

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7166631.stm

never kickt a ball

It's one game at a time for Harte

Mickey Harte will urge his squad to take one game at a time rather than focus their attention on winning the McKenna Cup for a fifth successive time this year. Ahead of his side's opener in the competition this weekend against UUJ, Harte says getting through to the penultimate round of the competition is his priority. "The aim is not to retain the cup, but firstly to qualify for the semi-final," Harte declared. "It gives us two angles, it keeps us in the competition, and it gives us a further competitive match in January, which is very important as we prepare for the league. "That's the most important thing, to try and make the cut for the semi-finals and try and get the fourth game. "We have players in the squad now, and we have to make decisions on the squad, and those decisions are better made based on competitive matches rather than anything else."
http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=87275

Seany

Mickey Harte is the best manager in Ireland by a country mile.  I respect him 100% and wish him well as a true GAA man. His own son mark is as good as most of the players on that list btw...

new devil

Zapatista

Anyone now if which games are on the box?

Muzz

Quote from: Armagh Exile on January 01, 2008, 07:24:48 PM
TG4
QuoteGAA Beo
Live coverage of Armagh v Derry in the first round of the Gaelic Life Dr. McKenna Cup at Oliver Plunkett Park in Crossmaglen and full deferred coverage of Dublin v Wicklow in the O'Byrne Cup from Parnell Park. Presented by Gráinne McElwain with commentary by Mac Dara Mac Donncha.

loughshore lad

Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2008, 04:12:04 PM
There was more to it than that. A bit of an argument led to his omission from the squad. His inclusion in 2008 may mean Mickey is burying hatchets.

Maybe so but he wasnt good enough back then either so I dont really see how he has improved that much since, cant see him making the grade to be honest.

Deal_Me_In

Quote from: Muzz on January 03, 2008, 08:38:48 AM
Quote from: Armagh Exile on January 01, 2008, 07:24:48 PM
TG4
QuoteGAA Beo
Live coverage of Armagh v Derry in the first round of the Gaelic Life Dr. McKenna Cup at Oliver Plunkett Park in Crossmaglen and full deferred coverage of Dublin v Wicklow in the O'Byrne Cup from Parnell Park. Presented by Gráinne McElwain with commentary by Mac Dara Mac Donncha.

Thought this game was being played in Davitt Park in Lurgan, has it been changed or am i wrong to begin with?

Our Nail Loney

I am near sure the game is in Davitt Park, think there are two games being held there. It said so in the original fixture list you can download off the Gaelic Life site, also in the Lurgan Mail this week it had an announcement about a meeting for stewards! So if ts in Cross there could be a lot of angry people in Lurgan this Sunday!!

Donagh

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 03, 2008, 01:15:25 PM
I am near sure the game is in Davitt Park, think there are two games being held there. It said so in the original fixture list you can download off the Gaelic Life site, also in the Lurgan Mail this week it had an announcement about a meeting for stewards! So if ts in Cross there could be a lot of angry people in Lurgan this Sunday!!

Definitely was planned for Davitt Park. Couldn't see our esteemed Chairman facing a second harranging from irate fellow clubmen in as many months by changing it at the last minute.

tyroneman

From BBC.....Tyrone boss Mickey Harte has handed a first senior start to seven players for the opening McKenna Cup game against UUJ at Omagh on Sunday (1400 GMT).
They include three from county champions Dromore - full-backs Fabian O'Neill and Cathal McCarron and Shaun O'Neill at full-forward.

Gary Reilly, Kevin McNally, Dominic Hands and Martin Swift also get a first start at senior level.

The Red Hands are chasing a fifth straight triumph in the competition.

There is a recall for Eglish's Conall Martin, who had a brief spell in the Tyrone colours in 1999 when Danny Ball was at the helm.

The midfielder previously played under Harte as a minor in 1997, and again as an under-21 player in 2000 when he collected an All-Ireland medal.

Owen Mulligan and Enda McGinley are the only All-Ireland medal winners named in the attack for Sunday.

Tyrone: J Devine, F O'Neill, C McCarron, M Swift, D Harte, C Gourley, D Carlin, C Martin, T McGuigan, D Hands, O Mulligan, G Reilly, K McNally, S O'Neill, E McGinley.

Glad to see O'Neill and McCarron get call ups..........can't see Fabian making the Championship team though

Tyrone Dreamer

Dont think anyone can complain about Harte not doing enough experimenting with that team. Does anyone know much about how good  Swift,Reilly,Hands or McNally are? Are any of them likely to be up to the standard?

take_yer_points

Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2008, 12:32:25 PM
Looking forward to see if Conall Martin can make an impact.

What is Conall up to now? He was in Queens in my time above, sound man

Last I seen of him was presenting some TV show on TG4. Think he did some work at that Gaeltacht that was set up beside Cormac McAnallan's in the brantry - Campa Chormaic I think it was called.

I'd like to see Conall getting on well - probably be tough for him as he might not be up to that standard but hear's hoping anyway!!

orangeman

Definitely a very refreshing line up - some of the senior boys will be thinking about their places now ??

Star Spangler