McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2023, 09:15:02 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 04, 2023, 09:12:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2023, 08:20:24 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 04, 2023, 08:18:29 PM
Bit of stroll for Armagh so far leading 1-10 to 0-4 at half time.

Div 1 v div 3 ... you'd be worried if it wasn't
Pre season comps is the opportunity for Div 3 and 4 teams to at least be competitive against Div 1 opposition as they are in experimental mode.  Armagh 12 points winners.

Was that a second string Armagh team?

A 1.5 string perhaps, many of the better players played some role for a period, but not Rian O'Neill, Rory Grugan.
Aramgh did rightly for the 4th January, but the Antrim goals revealed a familiar problem, a case of thank you very much Mr Eastwood.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2023, 09:15:02 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 04, 2023, 09:12:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2023, 08:20:24 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 04, 2023, 08:18:29 PM
Bit of stroll for Armagh so far leading 1-10 to 0-4 at half time.

Div 1 v div 3 ... you'd be worried if it wasn't
Pre season comps is the opportunity for Div 3 and 4 teams to at least be competitive against Div 1 opposition as they are in experimental mode.  Armagh 12 points winners.

Was that a second string Armagh team?

Around 6 or 7 same starters from the All Ireland quarter final last year.

jmk

Armagh made 12 or 13 changes at half time

bennydorano

Antrim were very very poor. First time I've seen a complete 15 be changed. Antrim roping for the Championship maybe  :P Doubt Armagh learned much about themselves or Antrim tbh.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on January 04, 2023, 09:47:05 PM
Antrim were very very poor. First time I've seen a complete 15 be changed. Antrim roping for the Championship maybe  :P Doubt Armagh learned much about themselves or Antrim tbh.

A run out to start the year is no harm, but I don't think that it will greatly help Armagh beat Kerry.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: jmk on January 04, 2023, 09:33:26 PM

Antrim made six before half time..

It's the McKenna cup, I'd say our focus is to stay in (for us) a very competitive div 3..

That will be the sole target this year

Armagh bigger in most departments and moved the ball quick in the first 25 minutes, we took too many balls into tackles and couldn't compete for kick outs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Other results tonight

Monaghan 0-12 Down 2-10
Tyrone 0-17 Fermanagh 1-7
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

bennydorano

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2023, 10:03:00 PM

It's the McKenna cup, I'd say our focus is to stay in (for us) a very competitive div 3..

Armagh bigger in most departments and moved the ball quick in the first 25 minutes, we took too many balls into tackles and couldn't compete for kick outs
Not from a position of strength tho, big difference.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on January 04, 2023, 10:22:45 PM

Not from a position of strength tho, big difference.

Antrim aren't in a position of strength though,  new manager and all that so has his work cut out

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

All about getting miles in the legs, plenty of lads that wouldn't have been starters got chances tonight.

general_lee

Wasn't overly impressed with Armagh, not that it was a particularly bad performance, just not a great match to watch (and no doubt play in) due to the circumstances. Hard to gauge as Antrim were so poor but don't think too many of the new faces stood out, certainly not in the second half. I can understand why - it's hard to make any sort of impression on a match like that when the game is virtually over and the whole team has more or less been subbed - things become fairly disjointed very quickly. I did however enjoy Soupy's introduction, looked far sharper than anyone else on the pitch, honourable mention for TK who also looked good and hopefully we see more of Turbo in the league. The goals conceded were probably the only blot on what was a satisfactory return for the first week of January. Will probably know a bit more about the newbies v Cavan.

balladmaker

Anyone have a wide count for Armagh last night?  For me, it must have been minimal as most shots seemed to be on target.  Not a lot to be gained from such a game other than a run out, and a decent crowd of over 4000 in attendance.  As said above, Soupy looking sharp, was all over the field.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: balladmaker on January 05, 2023, 10:19:48 AM
Anyone have a wide count for Armagh last night?  For me, it must have been minimal as most shots seemed to be on target.  Not a lot to be gained from such a game other than a run out, and a decent crowd of over 4000 in attendance.  As said above, Soupy looking sharp, was all over the field.

That stand looked 80% full, was there anyone over the other side?

Biggest crowd we'll face this year! Few shots dropped into keepers hands, but as you say on target for most, score wise the second half was better from our point of view but it is what it is

Truth hurts

Down will cause a few shocks this year

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 05, 2023, 11:57:33 AM
Down will cause a few shocks this year

Jury's out on that one, Monaghan are garbage