McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: Captain Black on January 24, 2016, 10:24:21 AM
Quote from: God14 on January 24, 2016, 08:22:39 AM
That's a few times now Derry have failed to put Tyrone away. Even back to the NFL game last year that ended in a draw.
Barton will have a big physiological job to do now, getting his players to believe they are good enough to actually beat Tyrone. Glass ceiling so to speak.

Big physiological job on for Barton boys!

And a big psychological job also.

BennyHarp

Quote from: No wides on January 24, 2016, 10:43:51 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on January 24, 2016, 09:43:14 AM
The Fix for Six starts here.

The Tyronies will be in heaven at seven, at this stage it must rank as one of the greatest GAA achievements this century, 5 in a row, unbelievable achievement. must bode well for croke park in september.

Winning is better than losing though! How's your strategy of losing games going for you?
That was never a square ball!!

ONeill

Quote from: lenny on January 24, 2016, 10:47:23 AM
Quote from: Captain Black on January 24, 2016, 10:24:21 AM
Quote from: God14 on January 24, 2016, 08:22:39 AM
That's a few times now Derry have failed to put Tyrone away. Even back to the NFL game last year that ended in a draw.
Barton will have a big physiological job to do now, getting his players to believe they are good enough to actually beat Tyrone. Glass ceiling so to speak.

Big physiological job on for Barton boys!

And a big psychological job also.

Not to mention the neuroendocrinological job.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

No wides

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 24, 2016, 10:54:50 AM

The Tyronies will be in heaven at seven, at this stage it must rank as one of the greatest GAA achievements this century, 5 in a row, unbelievable achievement. must bode well for croke park in september.

Winning is better than losing though! How's your strategy of losing games going for you?

I agree, I am saying it is an unbelievable achievement, you all must be very proud.

Club Rossa

What is this board going to be like after the championship game?? :o

BennyHarp

Quote from: No wides on January 24, 2016, 11:01:33 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 24, 2016, 10:54:50 AM

I agree, I am saying it is an unbelievable achievement, you all must be very proud.

I'll be very proud if, as in previous years, the McKenna Cup unearths a few players who can add to the starting 15 later in the Summer. So far we have 3 or 4 competitive games for the two McGearys, Hampsey, Lee Brennan, Sludden and one or two more who can hopefully kick on. These games (and wins) give confidence to the players and just as importantly, to the manager with regards playing them. Last night was a massive win in the development of these players, two young lads, Meyler and Sludden especially displayed an ability to grab a game that is slipping away and turn it around. This hopefully will stand us in good stead. As for being proud? Always!  :)
That was never a square ball!!

LCohen

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 24, 2016, 12:02:34 AM
Quote from: LCohen on January 23, 2016, 11:44:26 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 23, 2016, 11:41:46 PM
Quote from: LCohen on January 23, 2016, 11:39:45 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 23, 2016, 11:28:44 PM
Quote from: LCohen on January 23, 2016, 11:27:23 PM
Quote from: Moortown Spuds on January 23, 2016, 11:21:35 PM
Quote from: LCohen on January 23, 2016, 11:17:15 PM
Quote from: Moortown Spuds on January 23, 2016, 11:13:24 PM
That video does not look good for the Derry player? Slides in with a career threatening sliding tackle and the lies down holding his face when pushed in the (albeit) upper chest. What a poor showing from whoever it was.

What was Barton thinking running into a fracas like that? That the sort of thing you would expect from Geezer.

Derry the better side tonight. Good crowd. Couldn't get the picture of the two men embracing as they were directly to my left and had seemed like decent folk and chatted away all evening.
Its a brainless tackle. It not carerr threatening.
he holds his face after McNamee hits him in the face

If McNamees foot was planted then it could have been career ending. He dived. Lay like a big baby. No contact was made with his face so why did he go down holding it.
If you watched that game all the way through (and I mean watched rather than listened to the CLEARLY biased anti-tyrone commentary) you would not be choosing diving as your weapon of choice.

The contact is with the face. the picture shows this. If you are going to deny the evidence you are clearly not interested in facts

Deny evidence?? You said the sliding tackle wasn't dangerous??
The mere fact that it was sliding does not make it dangerous. Sliding tackles happen all the time in other sports

Is that your reason why this wasn't a dangerous tackle? Seriously? I'll leave it at that then.
What danger do they present in other sports?

So it's fine then in your view? How many sports, bar soccer, do you regularly see slide tackling in anyway? Players don't bend down to pick up the ball in soccer and when that sort of tackle happens on a goalkeeper people are not amused. McNamee thankfully saw the lad coming and didn't plant his feet to bend and pick the ball up. The lad coming in didn't give a shite if he was following through on ankles, shins, hands or arms. Sliding in like that when a guy is highly likely to be bending over to pick a ball up is a dangerous and cowardly act in my view, they clearly view things a bit differently were you are from.
I labelled the tackle "brainless" and that lead you to belive that I thought the tackle was "fine". At no stage have I defended the tackle. If I have then point me to it?

The tackle deservedly got a yellow card. I only onject to the tackle being labelled "career threatening".

T Fearon

Tyrone win their only trophy of the season before the other counties start training.Yawn

Club Rossa

Tony,I'm very disappointed in you.That's our 2nd trophy of the season :D

redhandefender

Quote from: T Fearon on January 24, 2016, 12:37:58 PM
Tyrone win their only trophy of the season before the other counties start training.Yawn

Im sure your gym monkies have been training away since they took an early shower last year, bit the didnt hand out awards for the best bodybuilders yous would be a shoe in. We start before Armagh and will still be going for a long time after yous have finished up for the season.

As for the derry guy, I have never had to lay down and hold my face after being "pushed" in the chest. It was a yellow and a sending off though

No wides

What about if someone touched your hair!

never kickt a ball

McKenna Cup final: Tyrone beat Derry for five-in-a row

Tyrone clinched a fifth straight McKenna Cup triumph with a 1-22 to 1-17 extra-time victory over the Oak Leafers in the Athletic Grounds decider.

Ryan Bell's goal helped Derry to a two-point lead near the end of normal time.

Tyrone pair Cathal McCarron and Ronan McNamee were sent-off late on along with Derry's Daniel McKinless.

Tyrone hit two points deep into injury-time to draw level at 0-15 to 1-12 and force extra time before Darren Curry's penalty sealed a Red Hands success.

The holders opened up a 0-3 to 0-1 lead inside the first 13 minutes but struggled for long spells.

Derry reeled off 1-4 in a row with Bell netting after 29 minutes - his penalty attempt was blocked by Niall Morgan but the Ballinderry forward gathered the rebound to score.

Ronan O'Neill ended a long scoring drought for Tyrone, chipping over from close range for the Red Hands' first point in 22 minutes.

Tyrone trailed by 1-5 to 0-4 at the break and manager Mickey Harte made a triple substitution at the start of the second half.

Conor Meyler's energy was a big factor in Tyrone's improved display but Derry still led by four points, at 1-9 to 0-8, midway through the second half.

Tyrone subs Niall Sludden and McCurry nailed 0-3 from play inside three minutes to draw the holders level and set up an exciting finish.

Derry responded well with Enda Lynn and Conor Kearns scoring from play.

Tempers flared towards the end of normal time with McCarron receiving a straight red card while McNamee and McKinless were dismissed for two yellows.

Oak Leaf manager Damian Barton also finished the game in the stands.

Referee Noel Mooney signalled four minutes of injury-time but played six, allowing one last Tyrone attack.

When Niall Sludden was fouled, McCurry hit the equaliser and the Red Hands were the more convincing side in extra time.

McCurry converted a penalty with seconds remaining to secure a 10th McKenna Cup success for Harte.

Tyrone: N Morgan; C McCarron, R McNamee, HP McGeary (0-1); T McCann (0-1), J McMahon, B Tierney; C Cavanagh, C Clarke; H Og Conlon, M Donnelly, C McShane (0-3); L Brennan (0-4, 2f), R O'Neill (0-1), P Quinn

Subs: P McNulty for Clarke (HT), C Meyler (0-3, 1f) for Conlon (HT), C McAliskey (0-3, 3f) for Quinn (HT), D McCurry (1-3, pen, 1f) for O'Neill (47), N Sludden (0-2) for McMahon (51), J Munroe (0-1) for McShane (66), P Hampsey for Tierney (72), C McShane for McGeary (76)

Derry: T Mallon; C Mullan, M Craig, K McKaigue; G McKinless, C McKaigue, D Heavron; B Rogers, E Bradley (0-2); E Lynn (0-3), J Kielt (0-3, 2f), B Heron; S Heavron, C O'Boyle (0-1, f), R Bell (1-1, f)

Subs: C McAtamney (0-1) for Rogers (1), C Bradley (0-1) for S Heavron (32), O Duffy (0-1) for Craig (41), C Kearns (0-2) for Heron (49), D McKinless for Bell (53), N Forrester (0-1) for G McKinless (59), G McWilliams (0-1, f) for Kielt (79)

Referee: Noel Mooney (Cavan)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gaelic-games/35382382

ONeill

Good highlights: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gaelic-games/35395208

Some collection of hallions in the crowd.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Moortown Spuds

Same pest kicked the ball off the tee as the one that hit the deck holding his face after getting pushed in the chest?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on January 24, 2016, 05:29:18 PM
Same pest kicked the ball off the tee as the one that hit the deck holding his face after getting pushed in the chest?

Growing up, living and working in Tyrone will eventually see their skullduggery wear off on even the best of men.