McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: Throw ball on January 17, 2016, 12:27:48 PM
The Cavan v Derry game is live on Linwoods Armagh TV at a cost of £3

http://www.armaghgaa.net/armaghtv/

£3?? With the way the sterling is?? Anyone want to go halves...  ;)

Wildweasel74

How reliable so this, had the game there, then it disappeared, and i have a broadband high speed connection?,

Oops got it again

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 17, 2016, 01:52:07 PM
How reliable so this, had the game there, then it disappeared, and i have a broadband high speed connection?,

Oops got it again

It can be great, but is generally not bad.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Well Halftime score Derry 1.10 Cavan 0.06, Derry missed a sitter of an open goal and 2 fairly scorable frees, well in control but should be further in front. Why cavan play with 13 in defence with the keeper and 1 up front i never know

LCohen

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 17, 2016, 02:43:23 PM
Well Halftime score Derry 1.10 Cavan 0.06, Derry missed a sitter of an open goal and 2 fairly scorable frees, well in control but should be further in front. Why cavan play with 13 in defence with the keeper and 1 up front i never know
Lack of quality attackers.
A manager committed to zero risk and zero imagiation.
A manager committed to a tactical set up that gives little encouragement to an attacker

No wides

Any news on tyrone game?

Wildweasel74

FT Derry 1.17, Cavan 1.10,

tc_manchester

Tyrone won 1-13 to 9 points

tyroneman

Playing Derry 5 times in 1 year (never mind the possibility of a backdoor match) is a pain in the hole

bennydorano

How's the Drive for 5 Commemorative plate set coming along? I've a man looking a set.

JoG2

Quote from: bennydorano on January 17, 2016, 08:36:09 PM
How's the Dive for 5 Commemorative plate set coming along? I've a man looking a set.

Fixed that for you benny

ONeill

Mickey'll have to get his thinking cap on to offer Emmett McGuckin something new he hasn't seen on a field before.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Sweeper.com

Quote from: bennydorano on January 17, 2016, 08:36:09 PM
How's the Drive for 5 Commemorative plate set coming along? I've a man looking a set.

Really we arent too worried about 5 consecutive Mc Kenna Cups or the 'drive for 5' as some of our neighbours have labeled it.

We are really more interested in getting our hands on our 4th Sam to tell you the truth. Weather that be this year next year or in 5 or 10 years time. (But hopefully it will be sooner rather than later).

never kickt a ball

http://bbc.in/1nrDFvd

Dr McKenna Cup: Tyrone and Derry earn comfortable semi-final wins

Dr McKenna Cup semi-final: Tyrone started slowly, says Mickey Harte
Five-in-a-row seeking Tyrone will meet Derry in the Dr McKenna Cup final in Armagh next Saturday after both earned comfortable semi-final wins on Sunday.

Fermanagh led the Red Hands 0-3 to 0-0 but Connor McAliskey's goal helped Tyrone win 1-13 to 0-9 with Erne star Eoin Donnelly's red card a factor.

Ryan Bell's first-half penalty put Derry on the way to their 1-17 to 1-10 victory over Cavan at Armagh.

Killian Clarke hit Cavan's second-half goal but it was a mere consolation.

An upset looked on the cards early on at Clones as Fermanagh's 2015 All-Star nominee Sean Quigley hit the opening three points but after Mark Bradley opened Tyrone's account in the 16th minute, the Red Hands fought back to level at 0-4 to 0-4 by half-time.

Fermanagh boss Peter McGrath says Eoin Donnelly had been the best player on the field prior to his sending-off in the McKenna Cup semi-final against Tyrone

The half-time introduction of Sean Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly and Ronan McNamee added further impetus to the Red Hand performance.

Frees from McAliskey and Bradley edged Tyrone two ahead before Fermanagh suffered a major blow when midfielder Eoin Donnelly - who had been arguably the best player on the pitch - was sent off after getting a second yellow card.

A Cavanagh point helped Tyrone extend their lead to five and any slim prospect of a Fermanagh fightback was ended when McAliskey volleyed to the net after the Erne keeper could only palm out a flicked Cavanagh effort.

Tyrone's Rory Brennan received a straight red card in the closing stages after a clash with Fermanagh's Ciaran Flaherty but it made no difference as the Red Hands held on for a comfortable win.

Ryan Bell stars for Derry in win over Cavan

Damian Barton delighted with Derry progress as they win McKenna Cup semi-final
Derry were equally emphatic winners at Armagh as they reached their first McKenna Cup decider in five years.

Damian Barton's side scored 1-4 in a six-minute spell in the first half to take control, man of the match Bell slotting a penalty after 21 minutes as he finished with 1-5, with all his points coming from play.

The sides were level four times in the first quarter, with Gearoid McKiernan's left-footed wonder point from near the touchline putting Cavan ahead 0-4 to 0-3 after 15 minutes.

From there, Derry completely took over and outscored the Breffni side by 1-7 to 0-2 in the 20 minutes before half time.

Derry dominated around the middle and broke forward in numbers, moving the ball at pace in an eye-catching display as James Kielt, Conor Kearns and Enda Lynn (two) also all scored from play.

Cavan's Killian Clarke tackles Derry's Enda Lynn at the Athletic Grounds
Enda Lynn was part of an impressive Derry attack at the Athletic Grounds
Cavan manager Terry Hyland responded by bringing on Eugene Keating, who recently returned to the squad after opting out last year, and Niall McDermott to sharpen his attack for the second half.

The Breffni scored of the first three points after the break through Jack Brady (free) and Conor Moynagh but Derry never looked like being caught.

Cavan did score a goal in the 53rd minute with a tidy finish from Clarke but Derry continued to largely dominate with Bell and full-forward partner Cailean O'Boyle both scoring superb long-range points.

Seanie Johnston hit a late point, which was his first score since his return to the Cavan team for the first time since 2011 but Derry were comfortable winners.

Over the Bar

Derry's new tactic seems to be diving for penalties to gain an advantage.  Do their forwards have Stevie G as a role model perhaps?