McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any craic

Here's a voice over report from the Donegal-Down game with some good scores and a slip by poor old Michael Murphy on his 100th appearance..
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2016/01/02/news/liveblog-mckenna-cup-donegal-v-down-370372/?param=ds441rif44T?param=ds441rif44T

StGallsGAA

Armagh managed to lose at home to a Cavan side playing with 13 men from before half time and who saw out the game with only 12 players!!!  :o

Itchy

Word is that Armagh had a tactic to get as many Cavan players sent off as possible but that didn't work so they levelled it up and that worked better.

illdecide

Quote from: StGallsGAA on January 04, 2016, 02:07:17 AM
Armagh managed to lose at home to a Cavan side playing with 13 men from before half time and who saw out the game with only 12 players!!!  :o

Yes and Armagh finished with 13, Cavan's third man sending off was v late on. How did Antrim get on yesterday?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Quote from: Itchy on January 04, 2016, 09:56:23 AM
Word is that Armagh had a tactic to get as many Cavan players sent off as possible but that didn't work so they levelled it up and that worked better.

There u r itchy...you're a genius.

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Conallach

Nice to see so many new faces for Donegal. May as well let them loose, at least from here until the break in the league.

The likes of Thompson, O'Brien, and McBrearty looked at a good level yesterday, and with quite a few of the new players out (including Carr & McClenaghan, who both have real potential) it's very positive. I wonder if, the day after one Burtonport man's defeat in the UFC, the most immediately important thing might have been Danny Rodgers' debut in goals though.

jp2020

Word is Cavan thought they would flex their muscles, as usual, but ref took appropriate action! 3 men sent off in 1 game for off-the-ball antics - must be a record! Cant see that tactic being very successful as the year progresses! I think this might be a case of Cavan winning the battle but Armagh could win the war! Hyland on the way out! ::)

redhandefender

Quote from: jp2020 on January 04, 2016, 02:21:40 PM

Word is Cavan thought they would flex their muscles, as usual, but ref took appropriate action! 3 men sent off in 1 game for off-the-ball antics - must be a record! Cant see that tactic being very successful as the year progresses! I think this might be a case of Cavan winning the battle but Armagh could win the war! Hyland on the way out! ::)

I doubt Armagh will win very much

J70

Quote from: Conallach on January 04, 2016, 01:50:32 PM
Nice to see so many new faces for Donegal. May as well let them loose, at least from here until the break in the league.

The likes of Thompson, O'Brien, and McBrearty looked at a good level yesterday, and with quite a few of the new players out (including Carr & McClenaghan, who both have real potential) it's very positive. I wonder if, the day after one Burtonport man's defeat in the UFC, the most immediately important thing might have been Danny Rodgers' debut in goals though.

Young Carr appears to be very highly rated. Still a minor though, right?

Rory should have begun this process last year, but hopefully now we'll see a good bit of youth introduced, at least for the league. Does Division 1 status matter THAT much? And while it is an easier run at the Ulster final this year, it's hard to see us winning it with the same aging team a year older.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2016, 03:44:03 PM

Rory should have begun this process last year, but hopefully now we'll see a good bit of youth introduced, at least for the league. Does Division 1 status matter THAT much? And while it is an easier run at the Ulster final this year, it's hard to see us winning it with the same aging team a year older.

Surely he cant play at senior level if he is still a minor?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

JoG2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 04, 2016, 03:46:46 PM

correct

jp2020

Quote from: redhandefender on January 04, 2016, 03:36:45 PM
Quote from: jp2020 on January 04, 2016, 02:21:40 PM

I doubt Armagh will win very much

For the record, Im not from Armagh - And No they wont win much but I think theyll beat Cavan come championship, which is what I meant.
Oh and also for the record, as for Tyrone (my county) we have bagged the O'fee Cup, will probably take the McKenna Cup AGAIN and that will be our lot this year! Time for MH to go, along with Hyland - but thats for another thread!  :o

J70

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 04, 2016, 03:46:46 PM

McBrearty and Murphy did.

Think Darragh O'Connor was just out of minor.

Have the rules changed?

Anyway, I'm not sure if he (Carr) will still be minor this summer.

brokencrossbar1

The rules have changed but my understanding is that young Carr is now out of minors. He was playing in the Ulster club minors but that was for the last season and is not eligible any more.