McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Good to see mggeeney ringing the changes. Looks like he is going with the big man on the edge of the score.

A big looking team. Lots of variations possible but would be good to see Declan McKenna get a go at midfield.

orangeman

Muzz

our_fella

Lads, much is student / senior citizen admission tonight?

Agent Orange

Quote from: Muzz on January 14, 2015, 10:54:09 AM
Tyrone game off

Clear the lines, use a yellow ball and you're good to go.

Quote from: our_fella on January 14, 2015, 11:56:00 AM
Lads, much is student / senior citizen admission tonight?

I think it's £4/€5.

Muzz

Derry v Queens and Donegal v Fermanagh off too

Agent Orange

‪#‎McKennaCup‬ game between Cavan and Monaghan has been called OFF. The Breffni pitch is unplayable.

our_fella

Armagh v St Mary's & Down v UU will proceed tonight as scheduled.

Four postponed games will take place on Sunday at 2pm.

regal

I can't understand why the Armagh v St Marys game is taking place tonight when all others have been called off. If Armagh win tonight, derry (for example) would know what winning margin they would have to achieve on sunday to overtake Armagh and, therefore, secure a semi final place in front of armagh.

Whilst this is 'only' the McKenna cup, I would suspect that if tyrone were to exit the competition in such a way that legal proceedings would be imminent?

Orior

Quote from: regal on January 14, 2015, 03:36:59 PM
Whilst this is 'only' the McKenna cup, I would suspect that if tyrone were to exit the competition in such a way that legal proceedings would be imminent?

Lol
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Fuzzman

Interesting to hear yis chatting about JC and where to play him to get the best out of him
To me he's one of the top 5 forwards in Ireland and had he been around 10 years ago he would have done some damage given the right ball into him
However, his arrival onto the scene in these dark days of swarm/blanket defensive systems I fear we will never really get to see how good the lad could really be.

Benny Coulter alluded to it last year that the way the game has gone (maybe with the exception of the Dubs and maybe Cork) there is a lot more focus on stopping the opponents now so players like the Bradley brothers had become a problem cos if you hit the ball long up to them they might have got it but often if they did they would have 3 men around them right away.
The days of seeing fast passing in front of a forward where he skins his man, turns quick and shoots are few and far between.
Thankfully most of us got to see players like PTG, Gooch, Maurice Fitz, Stevie McDonnell, Pauric Joyce, Mickey Linden and Joe Brolly all terrorise defences with man to man marking systems in place. To me its what made GAA such an exciting sport as everywhere you looked around the pitch there was 14 mini battles going on.

ck

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 14, 2015, 03:46:06 PM
Interesting to hear yis chatting about JC and where to play him to get the best out of him
To me he's one of the top 5 forwards in Ireland and had he been around 10 years ago he would have done some damage given the right ball into him
However, his arrival onto the scene in these dark days of swarm/blanket defensive systems I fear we will never really get to see how good the lad could really be.

Benny Coulter alluded to it last year that the way the game has gone (maybe with the exception of the Dubs and maybe Cork) there is a lot more focus on stopping the opponents now so players like the Bradley brothers had become a problem cos if you hit the ball long up to them they might have got it but often if they did they would have 3 men around them right away.
The days of seeing fast passing in front of a forward where he skins his man, turns quick and shoots are few and far between.
Thankfully most of us got to see players like PTG, Gooch, Maurice Fitz, Stevie McDonnell, Pauric Joyce, Mickey Linden and Joe Brolly all terrorise defences with man to man marking systems in place. To me its what made GAA such an exciting sport as everywhere you looked around the pitch there was 14 mini battles going on.

Agree. I believe that the GAA should be doing all that it can it terms of rule changes to return to this type of game! It's quickly becoming rugby league.. oh with the black card. I would propose that the GAA implement a rule where only a max of 8 players are allowed inside your own 45 at any one time. The penalty being a 13m free kick!

Muzz

All well and good suggesting these things and rule changes to help the game but cannot be on the referee to rule on some of these things.  4th offical should be responsible.  Time he earned his way at games. 

Agent Orange

Armagh 0-2  St. Marys 0-7
Down 1-1  UUJ 0-2

theticklemister

What price were St.Marys tonight?

can anyone list their team?