McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

What age is he Norf? Is he another attacking wing back or a man marker? How's the defence looking overall?
Will Justy always be our FB or will McNamee be in with a shout. Every year we all talk about wouldn't it be nice to see Justy further up the field.

How did MF and McShane do today?
Are we a bit more direct in our attacks?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 12, 2015, 08:58:47 AM
What age is he Norf? Is he another attacking wing back or a man marker? How's the defence looking overall?
Will Justy always be our FB or will McNamee be in with a shout. Every year we all talk about wouldn't it be nice to see Justy further up the field.

How did MF and McShane do today?
Are we a bit more direct in our attacks?

I think every year we just talk about how nice it would be to have Justy fit and available for selection! With the latest round of retirals he is one of the most experienced players left,  it would be great if he could get a run of games over the year and nail down his place. My big hope for the next couple of months or so is that Mickey identifies a nucleus of key men in key positions and builds a team around them. The drastic changes from game to game hasn't been a successful policy.

shawshank

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 11, 2015, 08:44:13 PM
Was impressed with Rory Brennan today. Only out of school, I think, but was comfortable on the ball, and didn't appear phased. Great score too.

He is last year at u21 level.

nrico2006

Why are Tyrone so bad at bringing minors straight through to the senior squad?  Every year there is a spatter of new faces but rarely do we see the better players from the previous years minor teams pulled through.  Other counties such as Dublin and Kerry aren't afraid to do it, why the blockage in Tyrone?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

illdecide

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 12, 2015, 01:56:14 PM
Why are Tyrone so bad at bringing minors straight through to the senior squad?  Every year there is a spatter of new faces but rarely do we see the better players from the previous years minor teams pulled through.  Other counties such as Dublin and Kerry aren't afraid to do it, why the blockage in Tyrone?

Because it generally takes about 4-5 years to convert these young wans into Gareth Brook fans and then they're ready... :P
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ck

Maybe theyre too young so not quite good enough yet? (Probably stating the obvious)

What Kerry and Dublin minors went straight into senior panel??

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: ck on January 12, 2015, 02:00:21 PM

Maybe theyre too young so not quite good enough yet? (Probably stating the obvious)

I dont think Tyrone are any better or worse than any of the other 'top teir' counties (and i would question the wisdom of bringing 18/19 year olds into a senior intercounty setup anyway).
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

NaomhBridAbú

There would be a few answers to that...
- not all minors make good senior footballers
- not all minors want to play football after a certain age
- university...alot of lads end up going to Uni in England or Scotland
- minors typically - with the rare exception - make it straight rom Minor to senior...the make up of the senior panel has an influence on that too...its hard to upstage and replace good senior players, esp those who have won the big prizes, which happened with tyrone of the last few years
- u21s is much more relevant than minor in talent progression (in my opinion)
- women, drink, drugs and Grand theft Auto 5
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

ck

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on January 12, 2015, 02:06:27 PM

- minors typically - with the rare exception - make it straight rom Minor to senior...the make up of the senior panel has an influence on that too...its hard to upstage and replace good senior players, esp those who have won the big prizes, which happened with tyrone of the last few years

Question remains unanswered. What Dublin or Kerry players go straight into seniors from minors in recent years?? I'm not aware of any.
It takes a seriously gifted player to step up at 18/19 and with the physical requirement in the game now it's even more unusual

Max Payne

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on January 12, 2015, 02:06:27 PM

There exists a school of thought in Tyrone that the current development squad culture is doing more harm than good. Lads grow up thinking they are guaranteed to be a senior star after being pampered from U14 and when adult football kicks in they are not prepared to work as hard for it.

Just a theory I've heard discussed...

ONeill

Was at the Antrim/Armagh game. The Saffrons were dire but I spose tis only mid January. They left poor Magill up on his own surrounded by 4-5 Armagh defenders.

Conor McGourty had no choice but to hit frees just outside the scoring range back towards his own midfield as there wasn't a soul to target. Clarke had little to do stationed on the half back line so spent most of the match looking to get involved up where he should be.

Some of the Armagh tackling was exemplary. I just wonder if they'll find scoring a problem this year against decent defences. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2015, 09:36:19 PM
Was at the Antrim/Armagh game. The Saffrons were dire but I spose tis only mid January. They left poor Magill up on his own surrounded by 4-5 Armagh defenders.

Conor McGourty had no choice but to hit frees just outside the scoring range back towards his own midfield as there wasn't a soul to target. Clarke had little to do stationed on the half back line so spent most of the match looking to get involved up where he should be.

Some of the Armagh tackling was exemplary. I just wonder if they'll find scoring a problem this year against decent defences.

was there also...thought Finden and jamie clarke were very strong...clarke makes it all look so easy, regardless of the conditions
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

ck

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on January 12, 2015, 09:42:34 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2015, 09:36:19 PM

was there also...thought Finden and jamie clarke were very strong...clarke makes it all look so easy, regardless of the conditions

Is it actually true that Jamie Clarke is being played in defence??

ONeill

Findon is a quare unit.

Jamie is better than most on the pitch every time he takes to the field.....I just think he's a bit of a conundrum.

He seems to get swallowed up against good defences. He didn't score against Donegal last year, scored a point from play against Tyrone.

The fact that McGeeney is messing around with him now suggests he's trying to change his game somewhat.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2015, 09:51:58 PM
Findon is a quare unit.

Jamie is better than most on the pitch every time he takes to the field.....I just think he's a bit of a conundrum.

He seems to get swallowed up against good defences. He didn't score against Donegal last year, scored a point from play against Tyrone.

The fact that McGeeney is messing around with him now suggests he's trying to change his game somewhat.

playing in attack or defence, he is completely fearless...e was getting some serious hits yesterday and was playing on...thought the red against him was harsh but it shows that he can mix it....if mcgeeny gets it right he has a deadly asset and it was great to see kaolin rafferty and him swapping positions...was happy to see armagh looking more like a solid team...