McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

I've never seen such a violent display of jersey stretching!  Was a disappointing 'brawl' in all fairness-was hardly a dig thrown.  On McKeever, now that Gormley's gone, is he the new villain?  You wouldn't be without any of these players.

DuffleKing

Quote from: INDIANA on January 05, 2015, 11:10:54 PM
Ah don't stop lads this thread is the funniest thing I've read here in a long time.  ;D

Two former super-powers more corncerned about knocking the shite out of each other in a mickey mouse match while Dublin and Kerry win All-irelands.

You couldn't make it up ;D Its the best entertainment here in along time.

Odd view to hold given that Armagh gave Donegal a considerably tougher game in Croke Park last summer than Dublin did. The Dubs have a fair bit of work to do to rid themselves of the perception that they can't withstand a physical battle so in many was the subliminal fear of Armagh that your post exudes is very telling.

ONeill

Quote from: Throw ball on January 06, 2015, 04:19:25 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 06, 2015, 12:50:05 PM
But this is this not the same 'hard lad' that was a wee bit 'hurt' when a bad boy from Kerry/Laois called him a name?

I will think you will find that the referee sent him off for trying to deal with that fella! On saying that that sending off was successfully appealed.

I am no expert on Ciaran McKeever but have been to most Armagh matches he has played in. I know he also got sent off in the 2005 Ulster Final but again I am near sure that was overturned on appeal. Apart from Sunday I can not remember another sending off so they cannot be that frequent. From memory the only suspension he served over the last few years was when he got sent to the stand when he was water boy against Louth. Seemingly if he had have been playing he would only have got a yellow. Maybe another case were the myth differs from reality.

Did he not get the line v Tyrone in Healy Park last year?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Throw ball

Quote from: ONeill on January 06, 2015, 11:49:36 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on January 06, 2015, 04:19:25 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 06, 2015, 12:50:05 PM
But this is this not the same 'hard lad' that was a wee bit 'hurt' when a bad boy from Kerry/Laois called him a name?

I will think you will find that the referee sent him off for trying to deal with that fella! On saying that that sending off was successfully appealed.

I am no expert on Ciaran McKeever but have been to most Armagh matches he has played in. I know he also got sent off in the 2005 Ulster Final but again I am near sure that was overturned on appeal. Apart from Sunday I can not remember another sending off so they cannot be that frequent. From memory the only suspension he served over the last few years was when he got sent to the stand when he was water boy against Louth. Seemingly if he had have been playing he would only have got a yellow. Maybe another case were the myth differs from reality.

Did he not get the line v Tyrone in Healy Park last year?

No black card near the end for a Cavanagh like tackle!

Tyrone's Mattie Donnelly got red card.

PS. Before you start I know technically a black card is a sending off but I would consider in the terms of the debate that a red card is the only proper sending off.

ballela-angel

I felt I needed to chime in with there being so much negative talk here about Ciaran McKeever - Despite being from the other side of the Clanrye River, I felt it worthwhile pointing out that last year when Down played Armagh in the Marshes during the league, he was the best player on the field of 30 starters, plus the subs who came on - In wet, muddy conditions he stood out as a good solid defender - Mark Polin got a couple of nice scores off him, but McKeever was still man-of-the match - (There I said it, can't believe I spoke up for an Armagh man, but my da was from there, poor man, the burdens he had to bear!) ;)
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

BennyCake

Armagh played Down in Athletic Grounds last season not the Marshes. What a bloody night it was too!!

Fuzzman

He always reminded me of Ricey as often is a star player if he would stick to his football but too often than not he lets his team down but going OTT.

IMHO ye can say what you want but he certainly has it in for Sean Cavanagh at the moment and of course you can understand why.
Every opportunity he goes for him and remember last year in the video sketch I posted you can see him running past loads of other lads fighting just to get at Sean. I suppose if you get Sean sent off you do your team a big favour. Sean went through worse years ago though and imho shows great self discipline which mean on here see as him being yella.
Even the handshake below looks forced.

naka

on sunday mc keever got sent off because he simply was mc keever,
if the ref wanted to send the appropriate person off it was possibly the Armagh Keeper for being the first one involved.Mc Keever ran in but what did he do, moriarity did worse as did a couple of tyrone men. Colm Cavanagh also didn't warrant being sent off either if you watch the incident.
ref just chose two big names.

Throw ball

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gaelic-games/30694797

BBC news report on McKenna Cup. I will let you decide if McKeever deserved sent off for his part.

naka

As I thought
I can't see how he chose mc keever or Colm Cavanagh

Fuzzman

Who was the Armagh No 6?
You would imagine at this of year the CCCC will be hauling him in for that punch

BennyCake

Quote from: Throw ball on January 07, 2015, 05:51:52 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gaelic-games/30694797

BBC news report on McKenna Cup. I will let you decide if McKeever deserved sent off for his part.

Sean C instigated it and nearly threw Findon over the hoardings. Did he even get booked?

McKeever was sent off here? Reminds me of Liam McHale in 96.

theticklemister

2006 Uni Teams

Queens University Belfast Squad:

F Murphy, H Gallagher, D McCartan, R Dillon, J O'Kane, G O'Kane, J Loughrey, C Vernon, P Courtney, G Donaghy, A Carr, K McGourty, E McCartan, K Niblock, M O'Rourke, D Callery, M Ward, C O'Reilly, J Gallagher, C Kielt, M Rooney, D O'Neill, R McGurk, J Ireland, J McGovern, P Mageean, P Treanor, J Crozier, P McComiskey, C Tierney.

University of Ulster Jordanstown Squad:

E McNicholl, R Murray, J Conlan, F Moriarty, P Mooney, P Doherty, D Hughes, P Donnelly, J Bradley, P Cunningham, M Lynch, R Mulgrew, P Forker, M Herron, C Conlon, M McAllister, J Colgan, J Boyle, B Boggs, D McCaul, E McConville, S McAleer, K Dyas, B O' Brien, P Downey, C Cavanagh, D Lavery, C Farrell, R McRory, S O'Hagan.

St Mary's Squad:

M O'Kane, T Hackett, K McKernan, M McIver, S O'Neill, Joe McMahon, M Murray, Justin McMahon, J Lavery, J Kelly, B McGoldrick, L Meenan, C McGourty, R Keenan, J Brown, K O'Boyle, N McVeigh, R Hamill, G O'Neill, C Clifford, J McCormack, B Byrne, J Ball, C McCarron, M Digney, D Coulter, P Keenen, N McNicholl, R Dolan, J Cunningham

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right I'm gonna give it a wee go here........................................................................

1. Eoin McNicholl (UUJ, Derry)
2. Dan McCartan (Queens, Down)
3. Justin McMahon (St.Mary's, Tyrone)
4. James Loughery (Queens, Antrim)
5. Gerard O'Kane (Queens, Derry)
6. Kevin McKernan (St.Mary's, Down)
7. Darren Hughes (UUJ, Monaghan)
8. Mark Lynch (UUJ, Derry)
9. Joe McMahon (St.Mary's, Tyrone)
10. Gavin Donaghy (Queens, Derry)
11. Colm Cavanagh (UUJ, Tyrone)
12. Barry McGoldrick (St.Mary's, Derry)
13. Paddy Cunningham (UUJ, Antrim)
14. Charlie Vernon (Queens, Armagh)
15. Aidan Carr (Queens, Down)

Tried picking the 5 best subs there, but just realised that is a harder task!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yellowcard

I think McKeever will get off on appeal. How the referee picked him out when there was worse going on is beyond me. The fact that he was from Cavan and that McKeever upset a few of his fellow county men in last years flag episode may have been in his head.

theticklemister

Quote from: yellowcard on January 07, 2015, 08:51:56 PM
I think McKeever will get off on appeal. How the referee picked him out when there was worse going on is beyond me. The fact that he was from Cavan and that McKeever upset a few of his fellow county men in last years flag episode may have been in his head.

that's a pile of balls yellowcard for god sake..................................................

it should be................................................

FLEG