McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orange

It would be interesting to know would fans rather support a team of nicey nicey footballers who dive and whinge at refs to cheat but at the end of the day wont win anything, OR a team of physical footballers who put their bodies on the line for the cause that also wont win anything???? I know which one id prefer, id rather coach children into tackling etc than lying down when tackled!!

ONeill

Well, Geezer failed in his first game.

He had the side wound up about Cavanagh and it cost them two crucial players.

You cannot wind players like McKeever up before a game. He can't channel it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Quote from: orange on January 04, 2015, 08:20:00 PM
It would be interesting to know would fans rather support a team of nicey nicey footballers who dive and whinge at refs to cheat but at the end of the day wont win anything, OR a team of physical footballers who put their bodies on the line for the cause that also wont win anything???? I know which one id prefer, id rather coach children into tackling etc than lying down when tackled!!

Brawling definitely is good to watch - especially for children.
That was never a square ball!!

naka

Quote from: ONeill on January 04, 2015, 08:28:04 PM
Well, Geezer failed in his first game.

He had the side wound up about Cavanagh and it cost them two crucial players.

You cannot wind players like McKeever up before a game. He can't channel it.
yip
happy days are back
the tyronnies now realise last year wasn't a flash in the pan and fear the resurgence of the orchard.

armaghniac

Of course Tyrone try harder in the McKenna cup. Let's hope Armagh show a similar improvement on their McKenna cup performance as last year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

Another 10 years of Armagh / Tyrone rivalry coming up. This well will never run dry.

Beantown

Thought it was a fairly good game today for the first outing of the year.  Armagh looked the more organised and hungrier team and maybe the extra men aided Tyrone in the last ten minutes..

Can any Armagh supporter actually defend treacherous McKeever again, strange choice as a captain, walking red card every game he plays, pure liability and no leadership at all..

Armagh no11 McKenna was very impressive today as was Sean Cavanagh for Tyrone, as usual.
Findon can have no complaints as he had no interest in the ball at all , Unlike Armagh no6 who was harshly treated by ref with 2 soft yellows.. Thought the ref was a disaster, he was afraid of match getting out of hand so blew up any physical contact at all and threw cards about like it was Christmas all over again! Pure joke..

never kickt a ball

Beantown

On another note, Ulster Council.... shame on you , amateur hour!!! 2 turnstiles open and running out of change!!

rrhf

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 04, 2015, 09:29:26 PM

Friday 13th. Fair play to mc geeney. Still smiling after having 3 men sent off in the mc Kenna cup.  Discipline a huge factor.  They got off the hook on so much as well.

Throw ball

Quote from: Beantown on January 04, 2015, 09:20:08 PM
Thought it was a fairly good game today for the first outing of the year.  Armagh looked the more organised and hungrier team and maybe the extra men aided Tyrone in the last ten minutes..

Can any Armagh supporter actually defend treacherous McKeever again, strange choice as a captain, walking red card every game he plays, pure liability and no leadership at all..

Armagh no11 McKenna was very impressive today as was Sean Cavanagh for Tyrone, as usual.
Findon can have no complaints as he had no interest in the ball at all , Unlike Armagh no6 who was harshly treated by ref with 2 soft yellows.. Thought the ref was a disaster, he was afraid of match getting out of hand so blew up any physical contact at all and threw cards about like it was Christmas all over again! Pure joke..

For the most part McKeever calms down come the summer. He has to get his blood warmed up in the winter. ;D

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Beantown on January 04, 2015, 09:31:44 PM
On another note, Ulster Council.... shame on you , amateur hour!!! 2 turnstiles open and running out of change!!

Statement on behalf of Martin McAviney President Ulster GAA

"Ulster GAA expresses sincere apologies for the delay in throw in at today's Round 1 Bank of Ireland Dr. McKenna Cup game Tyrone vs. Armagh.
A crowd of 8436 was present at the game, which was over twice the expected attendance. The game was delayed for 30 minutes to accommodate all spectators and to ensure that all Health and Safety requirements were met.
We thank all our patrons, both teams, management and County Officers for their patience, cooperation and understanding".

Armagh boss Kieran McGeeney says match delay was 'stupid'

Armagh manager Kieran McGeeney says the decision to delay his side's Dr McKenna Cup game against Tyrone at the Athletic Grounds because of crowd congestion outside the ground was 'stupid'.

"We seem to be the only sport that delays games because people arrive late - they said it was a health and safety issue but I couldn't see that, they just didn't have enough people on the gate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gaelic-games/30675530

Beantown

Anyone with any sense would have known a large crowd would turn up, people were coming in saying the turnstiles had ran out of change! The malaise seems to have ran right through to the referee.

It's a shame though cos Athletic Grounds is a great venue with great facilities

illdecide

Not sure who to shoulder the blame too (Armagh or Ulster Council) but to not expect a big crowd when most people are still off work from Christmas holidays as well as McGeeneys first match as manager and throw in v Tyrone then the Safety Officer/Event Controller needs a talking too.
As for the game I thought it was fairly even and the extra men advantage for Tyrone let them just shade it. I thought Findon was a dead cert to be sent off the only think surprised me was it took the ref so long, S Cavanagh may or may not have exaggerated some of the tackles but that's not for Armagh to worry about (he doesn't play for Armagh so we've no control over Sean). Findon should have been subbed at HT, it was a good game for Jan and I wouldn't be getting to carried away no matter what the result was. As for the brawl I was sitting at the far 20m line so couldn't really make out who was doing what....
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

theticklemister

I wasn't at the game,
I haven't read a match report,

But I blame the Tyrone WANs for all the fighting