McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: God14 on January 20, 2014, 11:13:23 AM
Its set up nicely for the NFL game in a fortnights time. Derry will fancy their chances id imagine as they had the upper hand in the second half
Could any Derry wans advise me please, with the subs that Brian McIvor made, would the side that played the second half be pretty much the same side as we will face on Feb 1st?

College men to come back in.

theticklemister

Quote from: orangeman on January 20, 2014, 11:29:08 AM
Quote from: God14 on January 20, 2014, 11:13:23 AM
Its set up nicely for the NFL game in a fortnights time. Derry will fancy their chances id imagine as they had the upper hand in the second half
Could any Derry wans advise me please, with the subs that Brian McIvor made, would the side that played the second half be pretty much the same side as we will face on Feb 1st?

College men to come back in.

God is correct. Derry men don't have many men in uni anymore; we are not as smart as we use to be

God14

Yeah but looking at the team towards the end of yesterdays game, I couldnt see too many who would be missing? When Derry were chasing the game they rolled out some of the bigger names - James Kielt, Mark Lynch, Patsy Bradley et al

Chrissy McKaigue would be one player that would stand out & obviously they were missing the ballinderry contingent. But in terms of the game in a fortnights time would McKaigue be the only addition?

shawshank

Thought Mc Kenna at MF was absent after the first three minutes, can't recall him on the ball at all.

Mc Kaigue, Boyle, Lynn are the three obvious players not involved yesterday

Under Lights

Emmet McKenna is about 25 or 26. He's older than his brother Ryan who played corner back.

God14

Are Eglish's Conor, Ryan & Emmet McKenna any relation to the McKennas of Augher? (Dessie, Wille, Eugene etc)

ONeill

Great to see the KcKennas taking the McKenna Cup seriously.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

smort

Quote from: God14 on January 20, 2014, 01:49:15 PM
Are Eglish's Conor, Ryan & Emmet McKenna any relation to the McKennas of Augher? (Dessie, Wille, Eugene etc)
nope, i don't think they are

mccurry seems to be going well so far this season. I hope him, donnelly, skeet, mcnulty can really provide an inside threat this year which has been lacking this past few seasons

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: God14 on January 20, 2014, 01:49:15 PM

no, they aren't related
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Club Rossa

I felt we were fortunate enough to get the win yesterday.Granted we had a couple of goal chances ourselves but Derry had at least 5 opportunities before McGuckins goal.Tyrone struggled badly on Derrys kickouts.Mallon was hitting McGoldrick with the diagonal ball every time and McCann couldn't get tight to him at all.Wasn't surprised to see him hooked at the break.McKenna faded after a great start.Grugan was on the ball a fair bit and I can see him featuring plenty this year.The 2 corner men gave the Derry defence a torrid time though O'Kane tightened things up when he was dropped back in.Was impressed with Fergal Doherty,he seems to have got his feet straightened since I last saw him.
Set up nicely for the league game but I would be worried by how easily the Tyrone defence was opened up yesterday.

Man Marker

Could yesterday end Mickey flirting with attacking football and revert to the sweeper system as we seem to have no man markers in the county on this evidence.

tyroneman

Quote from: Man Marker on January 20, 2014, 02:27:31 PM
Could yesterday end Mickey flirting with attacking football and revert to the sweeper system as we seem to have no man markers in the county on this evidence.

The defence was pretty abject yesterday for large periods. All comfortable going forward but no one capable of actually marking.

Grugan and McKenna were average enough.

First match this year for McCurry and if he can learn when to pass he will be some player. Will be very hard to pick a forward line this year (think Mattie D will play further out the field though).

shawshank

UUJ Take a Swipe at Tyrone

Jordanstown GAA has called for the Ulster Council not to invite counties into the Dr McKenna Cup that field university players in the future. Writing on their official Twitter account tonight the UUJ official said that the "solution is to invite only those counties into Mc Kenna cup who will not pick uni players."

The statement will be seen as a direct swipe at the current Tyrone management who picked eight players that would have been eligible to play for their university sides in this year's McKenna Cup. It's unlikely that the statement will ruffle many feathers in the Tyrone setup though as Mickey Harte prepares his side for a fourth McKenna Cup final appearance in a row.

You have to give them credit for being persistent. How much cash did the ulster council get at the weekend between Monaghan V Cavan and Tyrone V Derry. IMO at the Derry game there was about 5,000 approximately, at £9 per head, included in that total are some students, pensioners and u16s, still some lift for January. We can safely say Mickey and the Ulster council are the winners in this, and with the crowds that attended both games you can hardly argue it was the uni's participation that brought the crowds out. If it had of been two uni teams in the semi finals against each other there would have been about two men and their dogs at it.

sheamy

There is also a flip side to that argument. When the universities leave next year it will probably be back to knockout meaning that there will be 8 games in total as opposed to the 21 there is now. If it goes to three groups of three there will be a total of 12 games which is also a sizable percentage drop from 21. I'd imagine there would be knock-on effects for income there too.

God14

Id guess we will move towards two groups (one with 4 teams & the second group with 5 teams)
The two winners of each group to play in the final. You could have semi finals as well if you wanted but it would be overkill.

The UUJ message comes across as very shabby & not well thought out. It is in complete contrast to the tone of their previous statement when they couldn't fulfil their last league game due to exam commitments, injuries & player unavailability. It smacks of one impulsive tweet to a journalist by the individual who controls their official twitter account.

This mess should be sorted out by saying the dual players at colleges / county can choose which side they'd like to declare for.