McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Club Rossa

Was like watching basketball.I was waiting for the ref to start awarding free throws instead of free kicks.

orangeman

Quote from: Club Rossa on January 19, 2014, 07:42:39 PM
Was like watching basketball.I was waiting for the ref to start awarding free throws instead of free kicks.

Jesus don't let the FRC see that or they'll bring it in at congress.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Club Rossa on January 19, 2014, 07:42:39 PM

He'll go far.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

screenexile

Lads its not the new rules that are to blame its refs not enforcing them correctly.

The type of fouls in the new rules have nothing to do with manliness and there's still plenty of room for hitting hard and fair when the ball's there! Referees need to use the rules properky rather than blowing up all contact!

mylestheslasher

Went up to Brewster today to see the game. Apart from the first 10/15 minutes where we seemed a bit sluggish I think Cavan were the best team throughout. It was an enjoyable game and there was a good tempo and plenty of hard hits and dirty ball being fought for. Good atmosphere is the big crowd too.Our midfield was well on top of Monaghans although Monaghan negated this by going short from kicks as much as possible. Apart from the first quarter Cavans defence was immense with Rory Dunne and McEnroe outstanding. Givney and Mooney ruled the sky at midfield and Keating was doing huge damage inside. I felt that Lyng and Mackey (especially Mackey late on) were linking defense to attack very well. Cavan certainly looked to have the fitness on Monaghan too at the end of the 2nd half. Another positive was some of the scores. Mooney got two beauties as did new man tinnelly from wing back but for me an incredible catch from Givney and lay off to McDermott for a point was the score of the game.

So great to get another game before the league. I think Cavan won't fear Tyrone and will give them a good game.

rodney trotter

Probaly freshness being a factor in the closing stages. Monaghan had a game Wednesday night, while the UUJ game was called off. Always nice to beat Monaghan and extra game should help going into the league. Cant afford any slip ups like last year in the League. Hastings Cup Semi is next Saturday too, so a busy day

omagh_gael

No sign of the final on TG4's listings for next Saturday evening. What's the chances of this being added to the schedule? They covered the McKenna cup final the last few years.

Redhand Santa

Terrible referee today who did his best to ruin the game by blowing up any kind of contact. I don't know what the exact definition of the new advantage rule is but his was different to anyone else's so far and it was crap. To me if someone gets fouled in a tackle but breaks through it runs on and gets time to play a pass the advantage should be over.

Tyrone definitely weren't as impressive today, there seemed to be a we hit of complacency after the good start. Some nice play from the full forward line. We struggled to win enough ball in the middle though. I think one of the reasons Gallagher is there is to win dirty ball but he didn't do it today. McCann struggled badly before being taken of.

never kickt a ball

Highlights of Tyrone V Derry game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gaelic-games/25804268

cornerback

Does this photo really show Peter Harte "stealing"a few feet for a penalty??

How can you possibly get away with that?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Club Rossa on January 19, 2014, 07:11:11 PM
Very frustrated with the refereeing in Omagh today.No physical contact allowed at all.Both teams on the receiving end of some awful decisions.

I agree, anyone who thinks taking the physicallity out of the game makes it better to watch is badly mistaken.
I dont think its specifically the new rules either (although they dont help) it has been going this way now for a number of years
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Sleater

Monaghan were deservedly beaten by a better Cavan team. In the end Monaghan looked tired in the second half which was no surprise given the midweek game against Fermanagh. Cavan's phsyicality in build also paid off. Monaghan's small forward line just couldn't make in roads.

Overall the McKenna cup showed up some promising players for Monaghan in the NFL campaign. Ryan Wylie looks set for a corner back slot after impressing in each of the games he played. Jack McCarron will make a few starts too. A pity that Paudie McKenna couldn't have been involved more due to Truagh preparing for the All Ireland intermediate club football semi final. He looked the part against Derry. Defensively Monaghan looks to have a good few new options in attack in defence.

Stength in depth at midfield is the biggest worry for Monaghan. Without Lennon or Darren Hughes, Monaghan look very vunerable. Dick is in his last season and can only be expected for the odd perfomance of the bench. Gavin Doogan just isn't up to the standard of this level as a midfielder. Neil McAdam who is a viable option at midfield is in Oz. It's not looking good.

I expect Cavan to beat Tyrone as I feel Cavan want will want it badly.

Fuzzman

Just watched that little sketch on BBC of the highlights and yes it's amazing cornerback that the ref or none of the Derry players didn't make Harte move the ball back to the spot. It's nearly a yard ahead of it. At first I thought you were messing but you can see it on the video too.
Was glad to see Derry giving them a good game and brought both players and fans back to earth a bit I'd say. I'd say we'll see a different Derry performance in 2 weeks time in Celtic Park.

It's nice to see us putting up big scores though and ask Mattie said on teamtalk a few weeks ago there seems to me more of a focus on scoring goals this year which is no harm I think.
How did Grugan & Mckenna do at MF? Which is better? Will either force their way in to the team.
What about the young Emmet McKenna perform? Is he only 18 or 19?

I'd say Mickey will find it hard to cut the squad for the league with so many players doing well. Would it be daunting for some of the older guys looking on, wondering will they just walk straight back into the team.
Are we still not playing any sweepers or was there bodies dropping back?

Some other counties fans may still argue Harte is out of line not buying into the spirit of the McKenna cup but as a Tyrone fan it's hard not to agree that he's created great competition between  these young players and there's excellent team spirit among those young lads now that they can come in and replace their older established players and still win games. Had these lads been playing for their colleges their wouldn't be that same team spirit amongst them nor would they be feeling so confident of getting their place for the league. Even players like McAliskey and McCurry who did well last year know they need to step up again as their place will be under threat for the league if they don't perform this early on.

God14

Its set up nicely for the NFL game in a fortnights time. Derry will fancy their chances id imagine as they had the upper hand in the second half
Could any Derry wans advise me please, with the subs that Brian McIvor made, would the side that played the second half be pretty much the same side as we will face on Feb 1st?

nrico2006

Good to see another Tyrone win, especially as players who starred on Wednesday night were dropped for yesterdays game.  Lots of players getting games.  Very young squad been used in the competition this year and a lot of the players don't look out of place.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'