McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on January 30, 2013, 02:39:16 PM

THIS is my point. All those where big games where the bandwaggoners can come along can tarnish the good name of the reasonable fan. The McKenna Cup only attracts the "reasonable" GAA fan, so to hear such abuse from so many, for an entire game in January is the worrying part.

Sure you know yourself there's no such thing as a reasonable GAA fan!! It only takes the one innocently missed foul to change a quiet, gentle, sensible young man into a raging, foaming at the mouth psychopath.
In all seriousness, while the McKenna cup attendees aren't  bandwagon jumpers you will find that most are far more passionate about the county football than those that come out in the fine weather of summer. And that passion doesn't always spill out in the most positive ways. Throw in a county wide gripe with the referee, and you might get someway to explaining (not excusing)  the vitriol being thrown. And I think the fact that the game was over as a fair contest early meant the focus was of the result from early on in the second half. 
As a general I think that there seems to be more abuse being thrown from the stands now than years ago. Gone are the days when one head the ball could shout out some witty comment to the referee, that would get a few laughs from the crowd, these days he'd be drown out by the rest of the shouting and roaring. It's prominent in club football from what I see as well. And usually starts with one set of supporters roaring about some indiscretion missed by the ref, which only goads the opposition supporters to roar even louder for the next believed indiscretion against their team. It's sad to see.

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 31, 2013, 08:55:27 AM
Sure you know yourself there's no such thing as a reasonable GAA fan!! It only takes the one innocently missed foul to change a quiet, gentle, sensible young man into a raging, foaming at the mouth psychopath.
In all seriousness, while the McKenna cup attendees aren't  bandwagon jumpers you will find that most are far more passionate about the county football than those that come out in the fine weather of summer.

Few and far between alright. I suppose what I meant was that the very nature of the McKenna Cup would lend itself to making a genuine GAA fan more reasonable. As in there is little atmosphere at it, players are rusty, quality isn't usually the highest, and of course the competition is considered pre-season!. So from my experience its rare that any fans gets that worked up about it. 

True.

Throw in a county wide gripe with the referee, and you might get someway to explaining (not excusing)  the vitriol being thrown.

Yep. As God14 pointed out, there is history with this particular referee which does explain (not excuse) why tempers where short. But in my opinion this reason becomes void when Tyrone were coasting against a Div 3 team with 14 players. As I said, they just got a kick from continuing the abuse throughout the second half.

I suppose the question is do I think that the same percentage of Monaghan fans would have acted in the same way? (Even though there is no Div 5 team to play!).  I would guess not.

As a general I think that there seems to be more abuse being thrown from the stands now than years ago. Gone are the days when one head the ball could shout out some witty comment to the referee, that would get a few laughs from the crowd, these days he'd be drown out by the rest of the shouting and roaring. It's prominent in club football from what I see as well. And usually starts with one set of supporters roaring about some indiscretion missed by the ref, which only goads the opposition supporters to roar even louder for the next believed indiscretion against their team. It's sad to see.

All true but I'm not trying to generate a general discussion on fan behaviour. I just felt that no one had highlighted one of the biggest issues from last Saturday.

cluaineois

might i suggest that Tyrone dreamer have a look at monaghangaa.ie photo gallery and tell what part of stephen o'neills tackle on mark keogh is a CHALLENGE
once your a clone your never alone

God14

Just following on from the debate last week - just take a look, or glance at Barry Cassidy's performance, or lack thereof, on Saturday night... What a joke!! Only a matter of time until there is another martin sludden incident.

babarino

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on January 29, 2013, 10:30:15 PM
Booking Stephen O'Neill for challenging for a high ball and then ignoring Tyrone players being clearly pulled to the ground was always going to cause anger.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monaghan_gaa/8425772979/in/photostream/

Never a yellow.

Redhand Santa

Not quite sure what that still photo proves?

orangeman

Quote from: God14 on February 03, 2013, 07:08:31 PM
Just following on from the debate last week - just take a look, or glance at Barry Cassidy's performance, or lack thereof, on Saturday night... What a joke!! Only a matter of time until there is another martin sludden incident.

Sludden for 70 odd minutes in that Leinster final was having a brilliant game then made an error that decided the outcome of the game at the worst possible time. At least he came out and publicly held up his hands and acknowledged his mistake. These other lads that are making balls up aren't being punished for consistently having poor games. Barry and boys like him will be doing big matches for years to come cos they're ticking the right boxes and as someone said earlier are young and fit which seems to matter more than your ability to ref at a high level. If you've good friends and get pushed you'll get there.

babarino

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 03, 2013, 10:47:27 PM

Challenge for a high ball. Aye right. Keogh is in possession. The only thing missing is the clothes pegs.

And the result.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monaghan_gaa/8425773527/in/photostream/

Beantown

Quote from: God14 on February 03, 2013, 07:08:31 PM

+1

Cassidy gets some slating in every paper I read today, plus his handling of last years U21 final and this years McKenna cup final was farcical .. I remember Cavan supporters behind us last year being embarrassed by the bias he displayed that night and saying that he should not get another big game all year!

cluaineois

nobody is disputing that the ref was bad. It was the fact that a section of the tyrone support started before  a ball was thrown in and didnt let up even when their team was coasting . I am no prude but even i thought that the venom from SOME of the tyrone support around me were over the top. As for s o neills yellow i think that babarinos photos say it all.
once your a clone your never alone

Redhand Santa

Quote from: babarino on February 03, 2013, 10:56:30 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 03, 2013, 10:47:27 PM

Challenge for a high ball. Aye right. Keogh is in possession. The only thing missing is the clothes pegs.

And the result.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monaghan_gaa/8425773527/in/photostream/

If you think O'Neill tackled the goalkeeper in possession you clearly weren't at the game. It was a 50 50 ball which both players went in fully committed for. I think the ref was right to give the free but it was never a booking.

never kickt a ball

Only 11 weeks to go. Are the universities playing this year?

theticklemister

Quote from: never kickt a ball on October 22, 2013, 07:20:08 PM

Magee and Coleraine have opted out.

Maguire01

Quote from: theticklemister on October 22, 2013, 09:41:37 PM

When were they ever 'in'?

theticklemister

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 22, 2013, 09:45:59 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on October 22, 2013, 09:41:37 PM

When were they ever 'in'?

Come on Maguire, I know ye really like the humor. I know you have laughed before.