McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Quote from: ck on January 06, 2013, 06:03:22 PM
The Antrim game was a one sided affair according to the wife's brother who is an Antrim supporter. Fair play to uuj lads who battled away without their county lads. They may have been better taking a stand against the ulster council and walking instead of doing what they were told.
Antrim a real force this year under Dawson lads? The noises are good. They were flying today by all accounts. Pity the st galls lads would sign up

Antrim comfortable enough but as ever didn't kill them off and it was down to three points. Not sure about real force as not much can be taken from today but good to start with a win and more  players to come in. Some decent scores taken with some direct running from Murray and Niblock...when we run at teams we're dangerous...when we stop, dilly dally, turn back on ourselves we're dung. As regards "flying" again time will tell but as you said good noises through the press.

Dung is also a good description of your final sentence. Lynch, Niblock and Pollock playing. Heard that McClean was coming back. Not sure about McGourtys but Gallagher I thought had confirmed he wasn't playing. Not sure whether Kelly was approached but would still slot in at wing half back.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 06, 2013, 05:24:59 PM
It was ridiculous that just Harte was booked from the incident. I'm not sure if he reacted but he was taken to the ground by a headlock as he tried to make a run as Tyrone were on the attack. Bradley had a bit of a go at Gormley near the end to, Gormley didn't even appear to do to much to get a reaction.

It would be a rare day if gormley didn't do much...

Glensman who's lynch? Kelly's not playing as far as i know but was approached. Mclean will be back. Couple of antrim scorers for jordanstown too.

Glensman

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 06, 2013, 11:02:03 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 06, 2013, 05:24:59 PM
It was ridiculous that just Harte was booked from the incident. I'm not sure if he reacted but he was taken to the ground by a headlock as he tried to make a run as Tyrone were on the attack. Bradley had a bit of a go at Gormley near the end to, Gormley didn't even appear to do to much to get a reaction.

It would be a rare day if gormley didn't do much...

Glensman who's lynch? Kelly's not playing as far as i know but was approached. Mclean will be back. Couple of antrim scorers for jordanstown too.

Lamh Dhearg...normally plays CHB for them but looked lively and two good finishes for goals. I hadn't realised he got them both!

Glensman

Not sure if mentioned earlier and have actually not harped on about this in the past but £9 for McKenna cup is atrocious.

Should be £5 and publicised widely.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Glensman on January 06, 2013, 11:27:46 PM
Not sure if mentioned earlier and have actually not harped on about this in the past but £9 for McKenna cup is atrocious.

Following the tremendous success of the inaugural Power NI Dr McKenna Cup Competition Tickets in 2012, Ulster GAA are once again offering supporters the chance to make huge savings in 2013.

Limited Edition Competition Tickets are priced at £20/€25 and will permit you access to Round 1, Round 2 & Round 3 Games involving your team, ALL Semi Finals and the Final in the 2013 Power NI Dr McKenna Cup... that's a potential saving of over 60%!

Throw ball

Think it was £8 last year. Season ticket is a good idea if you can get to all the games. Got one last year. As Queens ran away this year did not think it was worthwhile for an Armagh man this year, especially as I cannot make the semis anyway.

Sleater

Monaghan were very comfortable against St. Marys which was to be expected. A raft of subs diluted the game in the second half and some late scores for St Mary's put some respectibility on the scoreline. Jerome Johnston and Niall Sludden put up a good fight for the students, both working very hard. But they were clearly under strenght and it showed.

Monaghan will be happy enough. Of the debutants, Paul McArdle and Stephen Smith will be happy enough with their showings. Smith was lively and worked hard and earned his point. McArdle showed some nice tocuhes and quick thinking especially for the pass for the goal. Plus his physical power is a big asset. Donaghy while getting the goal was near anonymous. For me the jury is still out for Kelly at FB. He's worth another game there.

Dermot Malone was hugely impressive at wing forward. He'll be a nailed on starter for that position this year. He was a big loss to Monaghan last year so great to have him back. Also impressive was Marti McElroy at wing back. He was alert, read the play superbly, linked the play well and took his score expertly. Mansy was superb at FF, while Mcadam got through a huge amount of work in the middle.

I also seen Jack McCarron scored 1-2 for DCU against Wicklow, while Pete Dooney also started that game. Unfortunately Colin Walsh got a straight red for DIT against Wexford.

antrimlad

Came on to post this. Didn't head to the match as I seen the price was so dear, Championship games are only £3 dearer  :o

Pretty disgraceful price for a fixture just after the turn of the year where the vast majority of teams are experimental. The season ticket would have been a good idea for the league bit alone if we didnt have a weekday game up in Derry

£5 would have been a good price as said above.

ck

£9/10euro is hefty. I had 2 people with me yesterday and that was 30euro for a team playing a college team. The GAA would need to wise up in recessionary times

Onion Bag

£9 is a disgrace for what most teams and people refer to as warm up matches for blowing the cob webs out,

As someone has said the GAA/Ulster Council would seriously need to wise up

How much was it into around the rest of the provinces?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

theticklemister

The ulster council didnt want the money in omagh yesterday, they only had two turnstiles open for a lon while!!!

no signs were put up to state the entrance fee yesterday for either normal, oap or student.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 06, 2013, 06:58:05 PM
Quote from: under the bar on January 06, 2013, 06:51:29 PM
Can the Derry wans confirm if on the way home they encountered any amusing banners re Tyrones seemingly endless domination of them?

Never seen anything myself. Whether some of the Tyrone ones were watching a different game to me but I certainly wouldn't hold out out much hope for their new starters today. If anything I thought number 4, 7 and 10 were very poor. Carlin was excellent and Cavanagh looked very sharp. Mc Curry looks the real deal when introduced also. Derry plan decent in patches. PJ, Ferris and Lynch all played well. Certainly work in progress.

I would agree with that - O'Neill was frustrated up front. Penrose did some deadly running and should have drawn some fouls from a better referee..Mcaliskey took a deadly goal..it could be that some of those lads will have to work deadly hard in training to get a chance to make a second impression, though i know its harsh to say that after a game...though id say that micky would be ruthless enough when he needs to be...on an aside, niall mckenna has to be even more pissed off that he didnt get a place on the squad
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Fuzzman

I think Stevie & Mugsy has been frustrated up front for some time now.
They very rarely get good ball kicked into them as often there are sweepers in front of them and I watched the Tyrone v Donegal game last year again over Christmas and every time Mugsy got the ball. He had 5 players around in within 3 seconds.
The day of being out in front, winning yer ball, turn yer man and kicking a great score are over I think for players like Stevie & Mugsy.

I was disappointed to read that Clarke was poor on Sunday. I have high hopes for him after last year.
Sorry to be so down in the mouth but I expect players like Justin & Joey to be always getting injured and young McNabb seems to be the same.
What's the story with Red Sean then. Is he definitely out of the squad for good or being rested til later. It seemed last year he had cemented his starting place.

Redhand Santa

Its strange given all the complaints about Mickey Harte ruining the McKenna Cup by denying university their players that no one has complained about Donegal naming a development squad with very few players from last year involved. Would this not be doing the McKenna Cup more harm than Harte's policy? The All Ireland champions would be a big draw in the competition normally.