McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on December 23, 2012, 09:04:49 PM
Has the McKenna Cup now got a higher profile than Sam Maguire?

If you're from an Ulster University this is the pinnacle of your career Tony. Or so I'm told anyway.................

never kickt a ball

Power NI Dr McKenna Cup 2013 Squad

The Armagh Squad for the Power NI Dr McKenna Cup 2013 tournament that starts on 6th January.

1 Niall Geoghegan     Niall Mac Eochagáin    Middletown Coillidh Chanannáin

2 Conor McKeown     Conchúr Mag Eoghain    Shane O'Neills CLG Sheáin Uí Néill

3 Mark Shields     Marcas Ó Siail    Whitecross An Chrois Bhán

4 Brian Mallon    Brian Ó Mealláin    Tir na nog Tír na nÓg

5 Niall Rowland      Niall Ó Rothláin    Culloville Baile Mhic Cullach

6 Finian Moriarty     Finnian Ó Muircheartaigh    Wolfe Tones Doire Mhic Cais

7 Barry Loughran      Barra Ó Luachráin    Carrickcruppen Carraig Chrupáin

8 Ciaran McKeever     Ciarán Mac Íomhair    Cullyhanna Coilleach Eanach

9 Gary McCoey     Garaí Ó Cobhaigh    Cullyhann Coilleach Eanach

10 Gavin McParland     Gabhán Mac Parthaláin    Ballymacnab Baile Mhic an Aba

11 Kieran Toner     Ciarán Ó Tomhnair    Granemore An Ghráinseach Mhór

12 Stephen Harold     Stiofán Ó hArailt    Carrickcruppe Carraig Chrupáin

13 Peter Carragher     Peadar Mac Fhearchair    Silverbridge Béal Átha an Airgid

14 Ethan Rafferty     Ethan Ó Raifeartaigh    Grange An Ghráinseach

15 James Lavery     Séamas Ó Labhraí    Maghery Machaire

16 John Kingham     Seán Ó Coinneáin    Culloville Baile Mhic Cullach

17 James Donnelly     Séamas Ó Donnaile    Killeavy Cill Shléibhe

18 Aidan Forker     Aodhán Mac Fearchair    Maghery Machaire

19 Stefan Campbell    Stiofán Mac Cathmhaoil    Clan Na Gael Clann na nGael

20 Niall McConville     Niall Mac Conmhaoil    St Peters Naomh Peadar

21 Michael Stevenson     Mícheál Mac Stiofáin    Sarsfields Na Sairséiligh

22 Stefan Forker     Stiofán Mac Fearchair    Maghery Machaire

23 Caolan Rafferty     Caolán Ó Raifeartaigh    Granemore An Ghráinseach Mhór

24 Eugene McVerry     Eoghan Mac Fearaigh    Mullaghbawn An Mullach Bán

25 Declan Carville    Déaglán Mac Cearbhaill    Carrickcruppen Carraig Chrupáin

26 Sean Clarke    Seán Ó Cléirigh    Pearse Ogs Na Piarsaigh Óga

Manager: Paul Grimley
Captain: Ciaran McKeever

http://www.armaghgaa.net/football/power-ni-dr-mckenna-cup-2013-squad/

PAULD123

Pete Carragher is in the Armagh squad. Is he the lad that broke his leg in the league game against Down last year? I so I am glad to see him back to county level and wish him all the best

Throw ball

Quote from: PAULD123 on January 01, 2013, 04:41:07 AM
Pete Carragher is in the Armagh squad. Is he the lad that broke his leg in the league game against Down last year? I so I am glad to see him back to county level and wish him all the best

That would be him.

regal

It's great to see Stefan Forker in the panel and hopefully he will take his chance

Winnie Peg

Would like to congratulate my old Alma Mater on withdrawing from the McKenna Cup. They must be vastly disappointed that the other two Belfast colleges hadn't the balls to do the same.

theticklemister

Quote from: Winnie Peg on January 02, 2013, 09:36:40 AM
Would like to congratulate my old Alma Mater on withdrawing from the McKenna Cup. They must be vastly disappointed that the other two Belfast colleges hadn't the balls to do the same.

Yeah my oul Alma Mater also had balls for not particpating in it, fair play to Magee!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywho.............

McKenna Cup format unchanged despite Queen's withdrawal

The format of the 2013 McKenna will not be changed despite Queen's University's withdrawal from the competition.

There will be two groups of four teams and one of three with the groups winners and one best runners-up going through to the semi-finals.

The team second in the three-team group will not have as good as chance of progressing, after just two matches.

Queen's pulled out after a dispute over the availability of their county players.
MCKENNA CUP 2013

Section A - Donegal, Fermanagh, Monaghan, St Mary's
    Section B - Armagh, Cavan, Down
    Section C - Antrim, Derry, Tyrone, UUJ

The college teams used to have first call on their players who were also involved with county squad.

But in recent years those students have come under increasing pressure to further their county prospects, rather than represent their university.

The colleges teams - Queen's St Mary's and the University of Ulster at Jordanstown - had argued that they needed their full panels to have any chance of competing against Ulster's nine senior county teams.

They also wanted a full quota of players in the build-up to the Sigerson Cup, an All-Ireland competition which is regarded as a highlight of the college football calendar.

Queen's, who lost all three of their matches in the 2012 McKenna Cup, would have played Armagh, Cavan and Down in this year's competition.

Those counties now make up Section B while Section A contains Donegal, Fermanagh, Monaghan and St Mary's and Section C comprises Derry, Tyrone, Antrim and UUJ.

The Ulster Council revealed that five players included in the Queen's panel for the McKenna Cup had also been named in county squads.

Last month, Council president Aogan Farrell appealed to counties to ensure that the universities teams would have first call on student players in the competition.

Goats Do Shave

Are all the Queen's lads happy they've pulled out?

I reckon some would have seen this as their big chance to impress before Sigerson without the 'big named players'.

never kickt a ball

From Teamtalkmag.com

Another Injury Problem for Tyrone

Defending champions Tyrone have been dealt a blow with the news that Colm Cavanagh is likely to miss the entire McKenna Cup campaign with a wrist injury. It has come about as the result of a freak accident and the Moy clubman is disappointed that he is going to be on the sidelines.

"I was kicking ball about around home a couple of weeks ago with a few lads and I was in goals and I saved a shot but my wrist bent backwards," said Colm.

"At the time I didn't think it was that bad but then it began to get sore and I went for an x-ray which showed up nothing. It didn't get better so I finished up going to Belfast for an MRI scan which showed that I have picked up a small fracture.

I'm not sure at the moment how long I will be out but it's very frustrating as the McKenna Cup is important and I love playing in it every year. It gives you very valuable match time ahead of the National League and with us being in division one this season it will prove even more valuable.

It will leave me with a bit of catching up to do as I can't be involved in ball drills or even do weights but its just one of those things and I will just have to keep the head down and get on with it."

Cavanagh was one of the stars of last season's McKenna Cup run although he unfortunately cracked ribs in the final win over Derry which ruled him out of the start of the National League campaign. It adds to Tyrone's growing injury list ahead of the start of the new season with Cavanagh's midfield partner in that final win over Derry, Mickey Murphy, also unavailable as he is currently on a months holiday in Australia.

http://www.teamtalkmag.com/archives/21004

fitzroyalty

JUst retired

I heard last night Queens have challenge games arranged against  Antrim,Cavan and Derry. How have they enough players? Coward management springs to mind.

armaghniac

Why would Derry, Antrim or Cavan want challenge games during the McKenna cup?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rodney trotter

Quote from: JUst retired on January 03, 2013, 08:35:00 AM
I heard last night Queens have challenge games arranged against  Antrim,Cavan and Derry. How have they enough players? Coward management springs to mind.

Why would they not have enough players. Its only Queens,UUj and St Marys who have the pick of the best players in Ulster. UUJ would be like DCU and they would get the big names, Queens would still have lots of good footballers even if they are missing 6/7.

theticklemister

Quote from: armaghniac on January 03, 2013, 09:18:48 AM
Why would Derry, Antrim or Cavan want challenge games during the McKenna cup?

Derry has a squad of 43, and may have only be a week in the competition.

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 03, 2013, 10:11:24 AM
Quote from: JUst retired on January 03, 2013, 08:35:00 AM

I think queens were trying to make a stand and were hoping for a bit of soliditary from the other universities, the others didn't have the backbone. Even at the time they stated they would always be playing county teams in friendliest anyway.

Why would they not have enough players. Its only Queens,UUj and St Marys who have the pick of the best players in Ulster. UUJ would be like DCU and they would get the big names, Queens would still have lots of good footballers even if they are missing 6/7.

Sleater

Monaghan team for sunday announced

http://www.monaghangaa.ie/2013/01/03/monaghan-team-v-st-marys/

Some new faces getting a run out. I'm particularly interested to see how Fintan Kelly gets on at full back, Paul McArdle at centre forward and Stephen Smith at wing forward. Though I think Smith will switch positions with Dermot Malone who is a more natural wing forward. I'd like to see Gavin Doogan make an appearance from the bench - he'd be ideally suited to a wing back slot.