McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Off course a lot of the players won't end up playing in the championship but its always interesting to see how good club players do when they step up a level. It also gives you a chance to see what players might make the break through later in the year. It can produce some decent games. £20 isn't bad especially if your county plays 5 games which Tyrone have done regularly in recent years. Assume the fixtures will soon be announced.

never kickt a ball

Having won it last year I hear Tyrone will be looking for a crisp start again this year

never kickt a ball

Season Ticket Now Available

Following the tremendous success of the inaugural Power NI Dr McKenna Cup Season Tickets in 2012, Ulster GAA are once again offering supporters the chance to make huge savings in 2013.

Limited Edition Season Tickets are priced at £20/€25 and will permit you access to Round 1, Round 2 & Round 3 Games involving your team, ALL Semi Finals and the Final in the 2013 Power NI Dr McKenna Cup... that's a potential saving of over 60%!

Group A: St Marys, Fermanagh, Donegal, Monaghan
Group B: QUB, Armagh, Cavan, Down
Group C: UUJ, Antrim, Derry, Tyrone

Semi Finals:
Group A Winners v Group B Winners
Group C Winners v Best Runner Up

Fixtures
Round 1: Sunday 6th January
Round 2: 13th January
Round 3: Wednesday 16th January
Semi Finals: Sunday 20th January
Final: Saturday 26th January

To order, call (028) 3752 1900 or email tickets.ulster@gaa.ie

The official launch of the 2013 Power NI Dr McKenna Cup will take place on Thursday 6th December.

BennyCake

Are the fixtures available yet?

never kickt a ball

Ulster Colleges may withdraw from McKenna Cup

22 November 2012
A number of Ulster Colleges could pull out of the Dr McKenna Cup, if their county players are not made available to them.
The likes of Tyrone and Armagh have stated that the want their full squads for the early season tournament, while other counties are believed to considering the same.
Before this Colleges had first pick on county players, but Ulster counties are now demanding a change, which could lead to a problem for the Ulster Council.
According to Gaelic Life, Queen's UUJ and St Mary's are all considering the possibility of withdrawing from the competition.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=181341

never kickt a ball

CJ wants a break
22 November 2012

CJ McGourty is planning on taking an extended break from football following St. Gall's exit from the AIB Ulster SFC last Sunday.
In what will come as a blow to new Antrim football boss Frank Dawson, the talented forward has revealed that he is taking a "three or four-month" break from the game to recover from an on-going hip injury. He is also toying with the idea of going travel in 2013, which means he may not be available to the county side at any stage next season.
"The hip is still giving me a good bit of trouble. I know I'm not alone on this, but I definitely feel as if I need three or four months off," he is quoted as saying in the Irish News.

"I don't particularly want to play in the McKenna Cup - that's no disrespect to the competition - but I broke my leg in it (playing for UUJ) last year and I injured my hip in it the previous year. I think playing at that time of year would do more damage to my hip than good. Plus, it would give me a break. I definitely need a few months off.
"I'll decide between now and Christmas what I'm going to do. There is also the option of travelling, so I might go away for a few months.
"I've just finished my Masters (in sports management), but there are no jobs at the minute. So there are a number of factors. Now might be the time to travel because of the injury."

http://www.hoganstand.com/Antrim/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=181375

Sportacus

Was watching him against kilcoo and to be honest he isn't turning into top class county standard forward that was predicted by some.  Too easy to handle by a strong corner back.  Pollock never gets much praise but I'd as soon have him out of the st gall's full forward line in the county panel.  But no doubt the Irish News will give him an unearned splash.

NaomhBridAbú

whats the word on the universities - are they staying or going?
Would be a shame if they pulled out - no point them playing if they cannot get access to their county players...and to be honest it makes sense for the counties to let their student players stay with their colleges...that way Tyrone can field 15, and have maybe 7-8 others playing at the same time...no better way to have a look at 20+ players in a more competitive environment than say a trial set up.

That said i can appreciate that Canavan, MCCartan and Harte in particular wnat to make plans from the start without interuption. Hard call from the Ulster Council - lets see if they have the balls to make the right decision...whatever that is!!!
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

never kickt a ball

Tyrone boss Harte rings changes for 2013 squad

Tyrone boss Mickey Harte has heralded a new era for the county, confirming a major overhaul of his squad and the departure of 11 established players. Fourteen new faces are in the 2013 squad.

Only five members of the 2003 All-Ireland title-winning squad remain. They are Stephen O'Neill, Conor Gormley, Sean Cavanagh, Pascal McConnell and Dermot Carlin.

Niall Morgan of Edendork would appear to be a ready-made replacement for goalkeeper Devine, bringing a Stephen Cluxton-style asset with his ability to kick points from long range free kicks. The leading scorer in Tyrone's Division One, Conor McAliskey of Clonoe, is another recruit, as is Coalisland midfielder Plunkett Kane. Ardboe's McGuigan clan will continue to be represented, with Brian's younger brother Shea given his opportunity to step up to the inter-county scene.

Harte revealed last week that he had his eye on a number of players from his own club Errigal Ciaran, and he has included three - Ciaran McGinley, Tommy Canavan and Stefan Tierney.

Omagh pair Conan Grugan and Barry Tierney have also received call-ups, as have Danny McBride of Strabane, Kevin Gallagher (Newtownstewart), Dean McNally (Kildress), Sean Warnock (Greencastle) and Tiernan McCann (Killyclogher).

Tyrone squad:
Pascal McConnell (Newtonstewart),
Aidan McCrory (Errigal Ciaran),
Conor Clarke (Omagh),
Cathal McCarron (Dromore),
Mickey Murphy (Galbally),
Mark Donnelly (Carrickmore),
Colm Cavanagh (Moy),
Conor Gormley (Carrickmore),
PJ Quinn (Moortown),
Mattie Donnelly (Trillick),
Joe McMahon (Omagh),
Peter Harte (Errigal Ciaran),
Johnny Lafferty (Urney),
Paddy McNeice (Coalisland),
Ronan McNabb (Dromore),
Dermot Carlin (Killyclogher),
Martin Penrose (Carrickmore),
Stephen O'Neill (Clann na nGael),
Darren McCurry (Edendork),
Ronan McNamee (Aghyaran),
Ronan O'Neill (Omagh),
Justin McMahon (Omagh),
Kyle Coney (Ardboe),
Sean Cavanagh (Moy),
Stephen McNulty (Clonoe),
Conan Grugan (Omagh),
Barry Tierney (Omagh),
Plunkett Kane (Coalisland),
Ciaran McGinley (Errigal Ciaran),
Danny McBride (Strabane),
Kevin Gallagher (Newtownstewart),
Conor McAliskey (Clonoe),
Dean McNally (Kildress),
Niall Morgan (Edendork),
Stefan Tierney (Errigal Ciaran),
Tommy Canavan (Errigal Ciaran),
Shea McGuigan (Ardboe),
Sean Warnock (Greencastle),
Tiernan McCann (Killyclogher).

never kickt a ball

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on November 29, 2012, 12:18:46 PM
whats the word on the universities - are they staying or going?
Would be a shame if they pulled out - no point them playing if they cannot get access to their county players...and to be honest it makes sense for the counties to let their student players stay with their colleges...that way Tyrone can field 15, and have maybe 7-8 others playing at the same time...no better way to have a look at 20+ players in a more competitive environment than say a trial set up.

That said i can appreciate that Canavan, MCCartan and Harte in particular wnat to make plans from the start without interuption. Hard call from the Ulster Council - lets see if they have the balls to make the right decision...whatever that is!!!

Farrell doesn't expect colleges McKenna Cup withdrawal

27 November 2012
John Farrell believes college teams are unlikely to withdraw from the McKenna Cup. There are fears that Jordanstown, Queen's and St Mary's could all pull out of Ulster's subsidiary intercounty competition if county teams insist on having first call on their players and speaking in today's Irish News, Farrell - who doubles up as chairman of the Ulster Higher Education Council and president of Jordanstown GFC - notes: "There have been problems in the past, mainly with Tyrone. Last year, there were considerable negotiations with St Mary's to keep them in the competition. "If those three counties took their players, that would be six to seven players from each university / college. That would have serious implications.
"There has to be a balance somewhere or else what would be the point?
"Given that the fixtures are out and given the relationship with the Ulster Council, withdrawal would be a doomsday scenario.
"I'm not saying it's not possible because the universities will say 'What's the sense in putting in a list of 26 players and losing six or seven of them?'"

http://www.hoganstand.com/Fermanagh/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=181597

never kickt a ball

The Tyrone senior manager would like to clarify the current official provisional squad list of 36. This is in no way the final list of names but it is hoped that this list will correct some inaccuracies.

Dermot Carlin, Colm Cavanagh, Sean Cavanagh, Conor Clarke, Kyle Coney, Mark Donnelly, Matthew Donnelly, Kevin Gallagher, Conor Gormley, Conan Grugan, Peter Harte, Jonathan Lafferty, Plunkett Kane, Conor McAliskey, Danny McBride, Tiernan McCann, Cathal McCarron, Pascal McConnell, Darren McCurry, Aidan McCrory, Ciaran McGinley, Ryan McKenna, Joe McMahon, Justin McMahon, Ronan McNabb, Dean McNally, Ronan McNamee, Paddy McNeice, Niall Morgan, Mickey Murphy, Ronan O'Neill, Stephen O'Neill, Martin Penrose, PJ Quinn, Barry Tierney, Sean Warnock

never kickt a ball

Power NI Dr. McKenna Cup 2013 Fixtures

All Sunday games at 2.00 p.m.
All midweek games at 7.30 p.m.
(Extra time to be played in Semi Finals & Final)

Section A:
Colaiste Naomh Mhuire, Fear Manach, Dún na nGall, Muineachán
Section B:
Ollscoil na Banriona, Ard Mhacha, An Cabhán, An Dún
Section C:
Ollscoil Baile Shurtain, Aontroim, Tír Eoghain, Doíre

6th Jan (Sun): Round 1:

Section A
Muineachán v Colaiste Naomh Mhuire at Clones

Section B
Ollscoil na Banriona v Ard Mhacha at Morgan Athletic Grounds
An Cabhán v An Dún at Kingspan Breffni Park

Section C
Ollscoil Baile Shurtain v Aontroim at Casement Park
Tír Eoghain v Doíre at Healy Park

9th Jan (Wed): Round 1: Section A
Fear Manach v Dún na nGall at Brewster Park

13th Jan (Sun): Round 2:

Section A
Colaiste Naomh Mhuire v Fear Manach at Brewster Park
Dún na nGall v Muineachán at Pairc MacCumhaill

Section B
Ard Mhacha v An Cabhán at Morgan Atheltic Grounds
An Dún v Ollscoil na Banriona at Pairc Esler

Section C
Aontroim v Tír Eoghain at Casement Park
Doíre v Ollscoil Baile Shurtain at Celtic Park

16th Jan (Wed): Round 3:

Section A
Dún na nGall v Colaiste Naomh Mhuire at Pairc MacCumhaill
Muineachán v Fear Manach at Inniskeen

Section B
An Cabhán v Ollscoil na Banriona at Kingspan Breffni Park
An Dún v Ard Mhacha at Pairc Esler

Section C
Tír Eoghain v Ollscoil Baile Shurtain at Healy Park
Doíre v Aontroim at Celtic Park

20th Jan (Sun): Semi Finals:
(1) Section A Winners v Section B Winners
(2) Section C Winners v Best Runner Up

26th Jan (Sat): Final: 1 v 2

never kickt a ball

Queen's could withdraw from McKenna Cup
07 December 2012

Queen's University look set to withdraw from the 2013 McKenna Cup. The Belfast University lost all three of their group matches in this year's competition, where they fielded weakened sides but they will be even weaker next month if - as is being suggested - intercounty teams are given first option on their stars. Such a scenario would leave QUB without nine key men: Armagh trio Ryan Rafferty, Coalan Rafferty and Eugene McVerry, Tyrone pair Sean Warnock and Harry Og Conlan and Fermanagh duo Ryan Jones and Brian Cox as well as Owen Costello and Ryan Mallon (both Down).

Aidan O'Rourke, the GAA development officer at Queen's, tells the BBC: "If we lose six to nine players because we don't get the support of the Ulster Council, then the competition becomes a non-event for us. "We have to ask ourselves what is the point in fielding a quarter strength team against a nearly full-strength county team? "What good will we gain from taking a hammering? We need to seriously consider how we are going to prepare for the Sigerson."

http://www.hoganstand.com/Antrim/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=182139

ck

It will be a shame if the University teams have to leave. The Ulster council and the county managers should just let them have their players. Crazy to suggest anything but that.

FermGael

Fermanagh panel for the McKenna cup.  Taken from the Fermanagh website.

Canavan has called up 2 players from the University set up.
Ryan Jones is with Queens and Declan McCusker is with St Mary's.
Not to sure about B Cox.  He may still be at Queen's.

Ronan Gallagher ,Niall Bogue ,Shane Lyons ,John Woods, Declan McCusker,Ryan McCluskey,Marty O'Brien,Ryan Jones,James Sherry,Eoin Donnelly,Shane McCabe,Tommy McElroy,Tomas Corrigan ,
Eamon Maguire, Paul Ward,Chris Breen,Anthony McGuinness,Conor Quigley,Brian Cox,Che Cullen,
Lee Cullen,Damian Kelly,Kane Connor,Ryan Hyde,Marty McGrath,Conor McAleer,
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered