McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up The Middle

Quote from: sheamy on January 30, 2012, 03:25:43 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on January 30, 2012, 03:14:31 PM
Going by that he is wxactly the type of manager the GAA need rid of. Unless of course he did it all for the good of said clubs.

you haven't a clue what you are talking about. I'd go and ask questions within your own club and your own manager status. You'll not find the same motives as what drives John Brennan. I suggest you don't comment on him if you don't know about him.

Lads take no notice,he just bounces from thread to thread trying to wind people up. Im sure he would tell you his own club man is taking Fermanagh for free
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

EC Unique

I am not in favour of ANY manager getting any more than expenses. That includes county and club. If Brennan did not get paid then fair play to him, wish there were more like him.

Wee Roddy

He never took a dime from Carrickmore in the 2 years he was there as well. Its a well know fact that he tried to put money into a training funds. I dont think he needs the money as he would be fairly well off would he not!
EC can you see no benifit from outside managers at all?

oakleafgael

Quote from: EC Unique on January 30, 2012, 03:53:40 PM
I am not in favour of ANY manager getting any more than expenses. That includes county and club. If Brennan did not get paid then fair play to him, wish there were more like him.

John Brennan has made his opinion of paying managers very clear. Now unless he is an out and out liar his position is very clear. The man loves football and does it for that reason alone.

EC Unique

Quote from: Wee Roddy on January 30, 2012, 04:25:04 PM
He never took a dime from Carrickmore in the 2 years he was there as well. Its a well know fact that he tried to put money into a training funds. I dont think he needs the money as he would be fairly well off would he not!
EC can you see no benifit from outside managers at all?

There is benifit but given the choice, especially when clubs are struggling for money, an internal man in a better option, or indeed a man like Brennan who will work for free. Fair play to him by the way.

The only problem with internal men is he will have his favourites but better than throwing 20K+ at some money grabber.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: oakleafgael on January 30, 2012, 04:26:47 PM

John Brennan has made his opinion of paying managers very clear. Now unless he is an out and out liar his position is very clear. The man loves football and does it for that reason alone.

Maybe he only takes money off hopeless championship cases like the Tones - he got a big ransom in Kildress so not that I like saying it about anyone - that makes him a liar!  :-\

Rawhide

Quote from: sheamy on January 30, 2012, 03:25:43 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on January 30, 2012, 03:14:31 PM
Going by that he is wxactly the type of manager the GAA need rid of. Unless of course he did it all for the good of said clubs.

you haven't a clue what you are talking about. I'd go and ask questions within your own club and your own manager status. You'll not find the same motives as what drives John Brennan. I suggest you don't comment on him if you don't know about him.

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on February 01, 2012, 02:21:10 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on January 30, 2012, 04:26:47 PM

Maybe he only takes money off hopeless championship cases like the Tones - he got a big ransom in Kildress so not that I like saying it about anyone - that makes him a liar!  :-\

Oh Dear Sheamy, your bubble is burst, naivety at its best
cccc is a true supporter lol

never kickt a ball

BY CHRIS MCNULTY

JIM McGuinness stopped short of saying that he was considering withdrawing Donegal from the 2013 Dr McKenna Cup when he addressed Monday night's county committee meeting in Jackson's Hotel.
The Donegal manager was attending the meeting to appraise delegates on the county's season so far – and the Glenties native questioned the value of the McKenna Cup to Donegal having endured a turbulent January in the secondary competition this year.
"The McKenna Cup, looking back, was a negative sort of a campaign for us," said McGuinness.
The manager had previously slammed a number of things that went on in January and it seems, from his comments on Monday night, that he is giving serious consideration to Donegal's participation next year – perhaps seeing more worth in having a month of challenge games.
"There are definitely things we need to look at for next year in relation to making it work for us. The validity of it as well, in relation to the question of if we're getting the benefits out of it, has to be looked at too.
"It is something that we will need to look at in the off-season, but at the moment it's not really working for us.
"We will look at that at the end of the year."
This year, McGuinness had to play in the McKenna Cup without several of his players who were tied to their colleges. The rule where the college teams have first preference on players for these sorts of competitions has been a bone of contention for a lot of county managers, including McGuinness.
Matters came to a head when McGuinness and Niall Moyna, the DCU manager, clashed publicly over the availability of Martin McElhinney. McGuinness became incensed when Moyna accused McGuinness of 'abusing' the player after he returned to DCU with an injury sustained while attending a challenge game.
It appears that, once the 2012 Championship is done and dusted, that McGuinness will weigh up his options regarding Donegal's participation in 2013 – with a likely scenario possibly seeing the McKenna Cup used as a preparatory exercise for the county U21 team with the seniors fielding in challenge games during January as a warm-up for the National League.
In relation to this year's League campaign, the Donegal boss said he felt they had a positive campaign.
"We tried out a few things in the League with a view to the Championship and we worked on a lot.
"We lost a few games in the process of doing that and we won a few as well. Thankfully we were able to stay up at the end of that transition.
"We are happy we done that – and we're happy we done it when it counted in competitive games. We got the answers that we were looking for in a lot of cases."
And on the championship exploits so far, McGuinness was delighted at leading the county back into the Ulster final.
"Things that we worked on in the League we implemented properly against Cavan and Derry, which took us into the last day against Tyrone," he said.
"Tyrone gave us a huge challenge and it was a huge test of character for us. This is something we have been building on for the last 18 months and we were delighted to get through it.
"We were pinned to our collars in the first-half and Tyrone asked serious questions of us. We were able to pull through, which was brilliant."
McGuinness paid tribute to the county board for their assistance  while he also thanked those clubs who have provided their facilities for training and preparation.

http://donegalnews.com/2012/07/07/mcguinness-set-to-assess-mckenna-cup-entry/

never kickt a ball

Mc Kenna Cup 2013

Group A:
St Mary's
Fermanagh
Donegal
Monaghan

Group B:
Queen's University
Armagh
Cavan
Down

Group C
Jordanstown
Tyrone
Derry
Antrim

never kickt a ball

Tyrone and Derry to meet again in McKenna Cup
12 October 2012

The Tyrone team which won the Power NI Dr McKenna Cup with a 1-14 to 2-8 final win over Derry ©INPHO/William Cherry
Holders Tyrone and Derry are in the same group for the 2013 McKenna Cup.
The neighbours, who faced off in this year's decider, have been pitted together in Group C, alongside Antrim and Jordanstown.
The draw was made last night for the Ulster subsidiary intercounty competition, which takes place in January.
All-Ireland champions Donegal are up against Fermanagh, Monaghan and St Mary's in Group A.

In Group B, Armagh, Cavan and Down are joined by Queen's.

The draw has also been made for the Ulster U21 FC, with Fermanagh and Armagh starting off in the dreaded preliminary round and the familair sight of Tyrone V Donegal.

Dr McKenna Cup:
Group A: St Mary's, Fermanagh, Donegal, Monaghan
Group B: Queen's, Armagh, Cavan, Down
Group C: Jordanstown, Tyrone, Derry, Antrim

Ulster U21 FC:
Preliminary round: Fermanagh v Armagh
First round: Tyrone v Donegal; Antrim v Derry; Cavan v Monaghan; Down v Fermanagh or Armagh

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=179089

never kickt a ball

Monaghan's thoughts on the McKenna Cup

Dr. McKenna Cup groupigns

18 October 2012
MC KENNA CUP GROUPINGS DECIDED.

The Dr. McKenna Cup competition for 2013 will again include the three University teams, St Mary's, Queens University and UUJ. When the draws were made at a recent meeting of the Competitions Control Committee of the Ulster Council Monaghan came out in Group A along with Donegal, Fermanagh and St Mary's. Group B is made up of Armagh, Cavan, Down and Queens University while Group C has Antrim, Derry, Tyrone and UUJ. The dates, venues and times for the various rounds of matches have yet to be decided but the regulation whereby the college teams travel to the various counties still pertains. It is a little unclear at this moment in time though as to how Group A will pan out as certain soundings emanating from Donegal would indicate that they may opt out of the competition or perhaps use it to blood new players and get their U21 team ready. Donegal manager Jim McGuinness is not a big fan of pre-season tournaments and is also opposed to the regulation that colleges have first choice on players. The competition is due to start on January 6th at which stage the Donegal team will be abroad on their team holiday as they depart these shores sometime around the 28th/29th of December.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=179458

never kickt a ball

Fermanagh to meet Rory, Sam and Malachy in McKenna Cup

Fermanagh will come up against Jim McGuinness and Rory Gallagher as they have been paired with All-Ireland champions Donegal in the McKenna Cup. This year's Dr. McKenna Cup will be a bit of an old boys' reunion for Fermanagh as they have been paired wiith All-Ireland champions Donegal and Monaghan.
Fermanagh will face All-Ireland champions Donegal in January after the draw which was made on Thursday evening placed Fermanagh in Group A with St. Mary's making up the quartet.
Donegal of course have former Fermanagh player Rory Gallagher as assistant boos while Monaghan will be managed by Malachy O'Rourke who is starting his competitive reign as Farney boss in the McKenna Cup.
It is then a tough group for Peter Canavan's side but one in which he is sure to get competitive games as he prepares for the onstart of the league and a difficult Division Three campaign in which Fermanagh will again come up against Monaghan.

http://www.impartialreporter.com/news/roundup/articles/2012/10/12/398371-fermanagh-to-meet-rory-sam-and-malachy-in-mckenna-cup/

Onion Bag

Anyone know when the Ulster Minor league starts? are the fixtures out yet?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

BennyCake

I see the McKenna Cup season ticket available, but have the fixtures been announced yet?

Mont

dont waste your money on a season ticket. many of the players wont be on the first 30 of the county come the summer mths never mind the first 15