McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

O'Neill cheers for the well-balanced report. IPersonally I'd never have Peter Harte anywhere but play-making/attacking but can see why Mickey is trying him out at CHB cos for Errigal he covers every blade of grass and regulalry disposesses in defence and solos the length of the field before popping one over

Jinxy

Peter Robinson looked terrified anytime the camera was on him.
And who could blame him?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Over the Bar

Is game repeated or online anywhere?

ONeill

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 28, 2012, 11:49:26 PM
O'Neill cheers for the well-balanced report. IPersonally I'd never have Peter Harte anywhere but play-making/attacking but can see why Mickey is trying him out at CHB cos for Errigal he covers every blade of grass and regulalry disposesses in defence and solos the length of the field before popping one over

It's a real tough one. I know what you mean by his ability to do everything. Maybe I'm too used to thinking about McGeeney, Gormley, Canty etc whereas Harte might well be Tyrone's top scorer this year. If it works this year at CHB it'll be another Mickey masterstroke and redefine a CHB's role.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

never kickt a ball

McKenna Cup final: Tyrone comeback denies Derry
28 January 2012

Tyrone 1-14
Derry 2-8

Tyrone overcame a six point deficit to claim the Power NI McKenna Cup title and reverse last year's final result. The Red Hands looked in severe difficulty after a Paddy Bradley goal on the quarter hour mark helped Derry to a 1-4 to 0-1 advantage. Bradley had opened the scoring and the Oak Leaf side led by three points before the impressive Michael Murphy opened Tyrone's account. Bradley's goal and a point from Mark Lynch had Derry in control but Tyrone finished the half with a flourish, in part thanks to the red card which Derry's James Conway received for a tackle on Colm
Cavanagh.
Peter Harte and Stephen O'Neill with points narrowed the deficit before Eoin Mulligan pounced for a goal to leave just a point between the sides. On the stroke of half time Cathal McCarron levelled the score at 1-5 apiece. Tyrone continued their onslaught on the resumption with points from O'Neill, Matthew Donnelly and Mulligan to move three clear. Conleth Gilligan replied for Derry but with Mickey Harte's men dominating around the middle third, things were looking ominous for Damien Cassidy's charges.
A hat trick of scores from Donnelly together with points from McCarron and Ronan O'Neill saw Tyrone surge 1-14 to 1-7 clear. A late penalty from Caoilean O'Boyle took the bad look off the scoreline for Derry, but there was no doubt that Tyrone were worthy winners.

Tyrone - J Devine, A McCrory, Justin McMahon, PJ Quinn, C McCarron (0-2), PnHarte (0-1), D Carlin (0-1), M Murphy (0-2), C Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly (0-3), P Hughes, M Penrose, O Mulligan (1-1), Mark Donnelly (0-1), Stephen O'Neill (0-2). Subs - Joe McMahon for Cavanagh, J Lafferty for Penrose, Sean O'Neill for Justin McMahon, S McNulty for Murphy, R O'Neill (0-1) for Stephen O'Neill.

Derry - J Devlin, D McBride, L Morrow, R Dillon, G O'Kane, B McCallion, SL McGoldrick (0-1), JConway, J Diver, C McKaigue, M Lynch (0-2), B McGoldrick, C O'Boyle (1-0), Bradley (1-2), Gilligan (0-3). Subs - N Forrester for O'Kane, KO'Neill for Forrester, PJ McCluskey for Diver, M Craig for R Dillon, E Lynn for Gilligan.

Ref - M Higgins (Fermanagh).

http://www.hoganstand.com/tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=161061

Damien Cassidy's charges  ::)

ONeill

McCarron missed that photo as he was using the straighteners.

Over the Bar

Have to say the old edge is gone from Tyrone v Derry since when Peter & co with only 13 men on the field were handing out a beating to the AI medal holders !!

ONeill

The funniest moment of the night: In the last 10 minutes Mugsy had the ball out on the right. He performed his trademark dummy. The Derry no.9 (Diver) fell for it so badly he ended up on his hole, arse over tit, after an extremely embarrassing slow-motion fall. This was the same lad who fell for Mugsy's dummy for the goal and almost ended up in the crowd.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 28, 2012, 11:49:26 PM
Must say I enjoy O'Neill's late night match reports as he usually gives a considered view, providing more light than than heat which is what you get from the early evening kneejerk reports.

orangeman

Marty, Aogan,Petey, Padraig and Archbishop Brady in the front row - they'd have some stories to tell between them.

Should be good for one of those question and answer nights.

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on January 28, 2012, 10:20:44 PM

Decent enough game for the time of year. I don't know why people are expecting a polished Tyrone and Derry side, it's a long way off that yet. It's about getting good, competitive football under their belts and into a winning frame of mind.

What Ziggy said was the most insightful. Means feck all if Kildare bate us out the gate next weekend.

BennyCake

BennyCake

Colm Cavanagh wouldn't have picked up that injury, if the ref had sent him off, as he should have done.

Club Rossa

The game turned on the red card last night,Derry couldn't cope with the spare man at all.I didn't see what the red was for so can't say if it was harsh or not.
McCarron was the pick of the bunch for me with Murphy and Mattie Donnelly also impressing.It's always nice to beat them Derry wans but looking at the bigger picture i think Tyrone are going to struggle against the top teams this year.

tyroneman