McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: nothingbettertobeat on January 19, 2012, 08:00:04 AM
Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on January 18, 2012, 11:46:08 PM
Tyrone ran riot in first half, turning over Fermanagh and getting acres of space around midfield and half forward. SON was in great form and Lafferty looked very sharp. Mattie Donnelly had a lot of possession but maybe just needs a bit more confidence. Hughes also did well.

Fermanagh came at Tyrone with Seamus Quigley in the second and deployed a tighter blanket defence which frustrated Tyrone, forcing them to shoot from difficult angles, but they still missed a bagful. Aidan McCrory and Peter Harte's runs were among the highlights of the night, pity their efforts weren't converted.

Felt ref awarded a lot of soft and easily converted frees to Fermanagh, bumping up Seamy Quigley's score tally. He did take a nice point from play,but wouldn't get carried away with his impact. Mickey Murphy missed an absolute sitter on bascially an open goal, but to be fair Fermanagh had at least 3 good goal chances before they bagged one.

Quigley (the wider) is clearly not fit for 70 mins against Tyrone, least Canavan doesn't think so. Pace was fairly fierce for McKenna football. Why else wouldn't he start? Will be interesting (if he starts) on Sunday, how long he lasts. Nicely teed up.

McCrory, Harte, Cavanagh and SON very strong for Tyrone, with Hughes and Lafferty looking good. Hope they get a stab at the league.

Dont know what game you were at?? he turned the game on its head.Fermanagh offered nothing in attack until he entered the fray. the whole side evolves around him from what i seen..Tyrone were beat 1-06 to 0-3 during the period when he came on so a treble scores defeat in the second half im no mathimatician but id say if you dont get carried away with that impact it must take a fair bit to get you excited....

Fermanagh could have easily had two first half goals only for good keeping/defending and plenty of luck for Tyrone. They also shot a bagful of wides. Tyrone being reduced to 3 second half points had everything to do with Canavan's tactics of a thick blanket and nothing to do with Seamus.  Tyrone were frustrated and couldn't convert from distance and wide angles. Yes Quigley gave them a target man to lob into and he was always a threat... But 4/5 of his points came from handy frees which I don't remember him winning. He is certaintly talented and has the ability to shoot from everywhere, but Fermanagh were always going to come out of the cages in the second half. Only surprise was that their goal didn't come earlier. Still, hope Quigley gets the start on Sunday. His presence alone is good for the atmosphere in the usually dull McKenna period.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Harold Disgracey

Delighted for wee Paul Carvill, note the spelling, last night. His free at the death to win the game for Armagh was superb, considering the pressure he would have been under, the distance and at the wrong side of the field for a left footer. As has been mentioned had Monaghan someone other than Finlay, who was excellent, able to take a score they would have won handily enough.

Don Johnson

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 19, 2012, 12:40:17 PM
Delighted for wee Paul Carvill, note the spelling, last night. His free at the death to win the game for Armagh was superb, considering the pressure he would have been under, the distance and at the wrong side of the field for a left footer. As has been mentioned had Monaghan someone other than Finlay, who was excellent, able to take a score they would have won handily enough.

Were you one of the boys shouting "Go on PC!" ???

Someone said earlier they thought Darren Hughes was rusty, I have to say i thought he had a great game.

Don Johnson

Latest odds:

Tyrone 11/10
Down 11/4
Derry 3/1
Fermanagh 5/1

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Don Johnson on January 19, 2012, 01:26:02 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 19, 2012, 12:40:17 PM

Were you one of the boys shouting "Go on PC!" ???

That was probably some of the other Tir na nÓg boys, I was sitting by myself! I was talking to some of the boys on the way out of the game and one of them was particularly pleased with PC as he had backed Armagh! Was probably him lol.

Someone said earlier they thought Darren Hughes was rusty, I have to say i thought he had a great game.

FermGael

Quote from: AFS on January 18, 2012, 11:19:23 PM
Rough enough game in Armagh tonight. Monaghan need to work on shooting. Armagh need to work on passing. Martin Higgins needs to work on not being an officious wee bollix.

Good to hear Martin had such a good game.
With a bit of luck this year Martin will make the final list for the championship at national level this year.
Then sadly he will be unable to ruin referee as many club games internally in Fermanagh.

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on January 19, 2012, 09:07:58 AM

Exactly what I was thinking, he changed the game completely. He gives us an aggressive focal point which inspires the whole team. What is worrying is how bad we were up front in the 1st half when he wasn't there.

Best for Fermanagh was probably Bogue, Woods, Conor Q, Sherry, Keenan and obviously Seamus. Keenan especially seems to have got alot stronger during his year out.

I was disappointed with Owens, he was never blessed with pace, but he seems to have got even slower, hopefully this improves as he get fitter. Eamon also still seems to be of the pace, but like Owens I suppose fitness is probably still an issue there.

When we throw in some stronger players such as Kelly, McElroy and McGrath and then also the speed of Little, we certainly have a team good enough to give most teams a run for there money!

In my opinion the half back line now only has one place up for grabs.
McCluckey is the CHB with C Quigley the other WHB.
That leaves Tommy and Damien fighting it out for the other position.
We have a good strength in depth in the WHB position.

Little and Keenan would be a great combination as WHF's.

I hope i am wrong but am unsure whether we will see Marty back for a while.
We have to develop other options there as a partner for Sherry.

Does anybody know if the university players can now play for there counties in the semi finals??

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

everymanaman

Quote from: FermGael on January 19, 2012, 02:05:46 PM
Quote from: AFS on January 18, 2012, 11:19:23 PM
Rough enough game in Armagh tonight. Monaghan need to work on shooting. Armagh need to work on passing. Martin Higgins needs to work on not being an officious wee bollix.

Good to hear Martin had such a good game.
With a bit of luck this year Martin will make the final list for the championship at national level this year.
Then sadly he will be unable to ruin referee as many club games internally in Fermanagh.

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on January 19, 2012, 09:07:58 AM

Exactly what I was thinking, he changed the game completely. He gives us an aggressive focal point which inspires the whole team. What is worrying is how bad we were up front in the 1st half when he wasn't there.

Best for Fermanagh was probably Bogue, Woods, Conor Q, Sherry, Keenan and obviously Seamus. Keenan especially seems to have got alot stronger during his year out.

I was disappointed with Owens, he was never blessed with pace, but he seems to have got even slower, hopefully this improves as he get fitter. Eamon also still seems to be of the pace, but like Owens I suppose fitness is probably still an issue there.

When we throw in some stronger players such as Kelly, McElroy and McGrath and then also the speed of Little, we certainly have a team good enough to give most teams a run for there money!

Does anybody know if the university players can now play for there counties in the semi finals??

No, they can't play for their counties now

CCCP1

Latest article from my good friends at SC1 Sports. Analysis of last nights game v Donegal...

http://sc1sports.com/have-donegal-been-worked-out/

Fermanaghandsam

Quote from: FermGael on January 19, 2012, 02:05:46 PM

If everybody was fit I would guess McElroy will go wing half back and Kelly wing half forward, we really lack strength and size in the half forward line and Kelly might help with that.

Lyons will partner James at midfield.

FermGael

So where are you playing Little and D Keenan then??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Fermanaghandsam

Quote from: FermGael on January 19, 2012, 03:19:11 PM
So where are you playing Little and D Keenan then??

Assuming people are fit, it would be:

Ronnie

Bogue
Owens/Lyons
Woods
Conor Q
Clucker
Tommy

Lyons/Owens
Sherry

Little
Keenan (very impressive there last night)
Kelly
Sean Q
Seamus Q
A.N Other

A.N other to come from Eamon, Corrigan, Ward etc.

rrhf

There was a feistiness about the last 15 there last night to Fermanagh which caused Tyrone concern although the game was over at half time, guys needed to make a mark and that made the game enjoyable.  I expect an even more robust affair on Sunday,  Big Quigley provides danger up there and will make life tough for most full backs but the ball in to him would need to be looked at and he brings great excitement to the crowd.  Stevie O Neill is still one of the best forwards in Ireland.  Petie Harte is going to be Tyrones most important player for the next few years.  I thought Mc Crory has a great burst of speed and is almost uncatchable when in full flow. Fermanagh will certainly head for division 3 this year they are potentially a much better side than their first half showing and if Biggus Quiggus stays focussed theres a promising season in store for long suffering Fermanagh Gaels.  Down are certainly going to need Dan Gordon at f/b later on in the year.     

lawnseed

i'd said i wasnt going back to an armagh game until i thought they were taking it seriously. imo the arrival of paul grimley is a signal of intent. now i'm wondering what PORs job is because it was quite clear that grimley was doing the managing and paddy was along for the ride. back to the game it was shite but it was enjoyable shite. charlie vernon is not a defender! infact i dont know what he is he won a ball in mid-field (admirably) and with a clear run on goals he took off ACROSS the pitch knocked into a couple of farneymen who didnt see him coming  and passed to the wings?? ::) finn mo's stats have to atrocious he cannot complete a 20 yard pass. how he stayed on the pitch? armaghs best were mc keever,mal,gene,and wee carvill his free at the end considering the ref did his best to put him off was outstanding. the big donamoyne man certainly stands out although he didnt play (i watched him warn up) jeez hes a big lad. armagh still have a lazy feel from them and should have been well beat but for monaghans poor shooting
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Fuzzman

Can anyone give me some info on Matthew Donnelly.
What age is he?
What's he like at club level?
What's his strengths and weaknesses?

Will he make it this year and what's his best position?

bennydorano

Lawnseed, you sound like you'd be a big loss if you did stay away.