America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

I suppose the so called facts could be wrong but I thought the yanks would be top ten/fifteen.

According to wiki they are 15th.

And the 14 ahead of them are mainly South or Central American counties. Only Swaziland and South Africa of those ahead of them are not from the Americas afaics.

The above is based on homicide data. For gun related suicides the US appears to be 3rd. But there are all sorts of caveats with the wiki data.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

Quote from: J70 on October 06, 2015, 03:55:57 PM
90% of Americans own guns??

Sounds like bullshit to me.

What's the source Stew?

I think it is more accurately described as 90 guns for every 100 people. Can't be arsed pulling up the source, but I read that this morning.

stew

What's the source Stew?

It was a fb clip I saw on a mates page. I will check and get back you you.

Oh and Puck was right, 90 out of a hundred people own guns, fecking mind blowing stat ( pardon the pun)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

Quote from: Puckoon on October 06, 2015, 04:04:52 PM

What's the source Stew?

I think it is more accurately described as 90 guns for every 100 people. Can't be arsed pulling up the source, but I read that this morning.

The shooter last week had 'access' to 13 legally held weapons. All were purchased in the last 3 years. Apparently 6 of them were his own and were found on campus: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/02/oregon-college-shootings-witnesses-recall-horror-as-obama-calls-for-action
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

Quote from: stew on October 06, 2015, 04:07:47 PM

What's the source Stew?

It was a fb clip I saw on a mates page. I will check and get back you you.

Oh and Puck was right, 90 out of a hundred people own guns, fecking mind blowing stat ( pardon the pun)

Stew, I think its suggesting that people own multiple guns, to the point where there are 90 guns in the US for every 100 people. Not that 90 out of 100 people own guns. Maybe in Virginia city.

stew

finbar o tool

Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2015, 04:09:00 PM

What's the source Stew?

The shooter last week had 'access' to 13 legally held weapons. All were purchased in the last 3 years. Apparently 6 of them were his own and were found on campus: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/02/oregon-college-shootings-witnesses-recall-horror-as-obama-calls-for-action

i heard somewhere that the shooter was 20 years old and you can not legally own a gun in america until you are 21.
i stand to be corrected on that but he cant have had 6 of his own guns legally if this is the case. he might have had access alright, that's another issue altogether! as we seen yesterday with that 11 year old!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

finbar o tool

actually i just read another report that said he was 26 so he could well have bought 13 guns for himself, which is ANOTHER issue!!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

muppet

Quote from: finbar o tool on October 06, 2015, 04:24:42 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2015, 04:09:00 PM

What's the source Stew?

i heard somewhere that the shooter was 20 years old and you can not legally own a gun in america until you are 21.
i stand to be corrected on that but he cant have had 6 of his own guns legally if this is the case. he might have had access alright, that's another issue altogether! as we seen yesterday with that 11 year old!

"All 13 weapons were purchased legally by the shooter or a family member in the last three years, Nunez said,"

The article quotes Nunez, of the of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). As an aside, anyone know why are firearms and explosives lumped in with Alcohol and Tobacco? 
MWWSI 2017

Franko

Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2015, 03:17:30 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 05, 2015, 08:48:04 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2015, 01:37:32 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 03, 2015, 10:48:16 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on October 03, 2015, 10:42:16 AM
Quote3. Correct, hence they make them stand in a line with their hands above their heads and not run amok where they could startle a trigger happy copper.

This has to be the saddest thing really.

Sadder than the 9 students who died?  Think you're over-egging it a little.  I'm no fan of the cops in America but in that situation, where there may or not be a guy with a gun running around shooting people indiscriminately, I might be inclined to keep my hand on the holster too.

Look at the photo. None of them have their hands on the holster. None of them seem remotely concerned that anyone in front of them is a mass-killer about to open fire.

It is all for show. And what it shows is how highly they value innocent citizens who have just been through a massively traumatic event and may be relatives or friends of the deceased.

Could you imagine, after the Omagh bomb, if the Brits rounded up everyone within a 1 mile radius of the bomb and had them put their hands over their heads until they had all been searched? Would you consider that appropriate policing?

You can't pretend to know any of that from the photo you posted.

What?
I can see that their hands are not on their holsters.
I can see that they are not looking at the people they have lined up in front of them.
I can see that if a killer is standing right in from of them, and made a move, that they wouldn't see it immediately.

A bombing incident (like the ones you describe) are a totally different thing and you know it.

Ah the old 'and you know it' line. Randomly killing innocent people is obviously the common theme. The choice of weapon is hardly a major factor, and you know it!  :D

After a bombing it is highly unlikely that there is a second bomber running around with a device in their pocket ready to bomb people at random.  Your analogy is way off.

Really? After a shooting, going by most of the other shootings, it would also appear highly unlikely that there is a 2nd shooter etc, etc, as well. Way off my arse. Whether you kill innocent people with a gun or a bomb it hardly matters. In fact with a bombing it is probably more likely that there is more than one person involved, at the very least in the planning of the bomb.

My issue is with the way they treat the survivors. For me there is something hideous about surviving a mass-shooting and then being lined up with your hands over your head, because police bosses need to be seen to be in control.

Fair enough muppet, you must be right.  As always.

Nine innocent people were shot by a maniac with a gun and your contribution is to pluck some image of the aftermath and use it to have a go at the police.

I think this says more about your prejudices than anything else.

stew

Quote from: Franko on October 06, 2015, 04:30:18 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2015, 03:17:30 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 05, 2015, 08:48:04 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2015, 01:37:32 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 03, 2015, 10:48:16 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on October 03, 2015, 10:42:16 AM
Quote3. Correct, hence they make them stand in a line with their hands above their heads and not run amok where they could startle a trigger happy copper.

This has to be the saddest thing really.

Sadder than the 9 students who died?  Think you're over-egging it a little.  I'm no fan of the cops in America but in that situation, where there may or not be a guy with a gun running around shooting people indiscriminately, I might be inclined to keep my hand on the holster too.

Look at the photo. None of them have their hands on the holster. None of them seem remotely concerned that anyone in front of them is a mass-killer about to open fire.

It is all for show. And what it shows is how highly they value innocent citizens who have just been through a massively traumatic event and may be relatives or friends of the deceased.

Could you imagine, after the Omagh bomb, if the Brits rounded up everyone within a 1 mile radius of the bomb and had them put their hands over their heads until they had all been searched? Would you consider that appropriate policing?

You can't pretend to know any of that from the photo you posted.

What?
I can see that their hands are not on their holsters.
I can see that they are not looking at the people they have lined up in front of them.
I can see that if a killer is standing right in from of them, and made a move, that they wouldn't see it immediately.

A bombing incident (like the ones you describe) are a totally different thing and you know it.

Ah the old 'and you know it' line. Randomly killing innocent people is obviously the common theme. The choice of weapon is hardly a major factor, and you know it!  :D

After a bombing it is highly unlikely that there is a second bomber running around with a device in their pocket ready to bomb people at random.  Your analogy is way off.

Really? After a shooting, going by most of the other shootings, it would also appear highly unlikely that there is a 2nd shooter etc, etc, as well. Way off my arse. Whether you kill innocent people with a gun or a bomb it hardly matters. In fact with a bombing it is probably more likely that there is more than one person involved, at the very least in the planning of the bomb.

My issue is with the way they treat the survivors. For me there is something hideous about surviving a mass-shooting and then being lined up with your hands over your head, because police bosses need to be seen to be in control.

Nine innocent people were shot by a maniac with a gun and your contribution is to pluck some image of the aftermath and use it to have a go at the police.

He has a point muppet!

The cops had snipers protecting them  from the rooftops, that was why they were not worried about their own safety as much, plus if they drawn their guns students, some students might have panicked and really effed things up.

The Iceman

so lads what would really work to fix all this?
My view of Americans across the country having lived on both sides and travelled throughout the place is that there are too many guns out there for any ban to be effective (at least in the short-medium term).

there can be tighter laws on who can own guns, who can buy guns - but those won't be fully supported by local law enforcement from what I can see.  There is a long and slow road to fix this. What are the first steps?

It's sad to see.

I have guns here because I hunt and for home protection. I grew up in Armagh with guns in the house, it was just part of country life.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

JoG2

Quote from: The Iceman on October 06, 2015, 04:40:42 PM
so lads what would really work to fix all this?
My view of Americans across the country having lived on both sides and travelled throughout the place is that there are too many guns out there for any ban to be effective (at least in the short-medium term).

there can be tighter laws on who can own guns, who can buy guns - but those won't be fully supported by local law enforcement from what I can see.  There is a long and slow road to fix this. What are the first steps?

It's sad to see.

I have guns here because I hunt and for home protection. I grew up in Armagh with guns in the house, it was just part of country life.

I'd rather let intruders take the TV than have a gun battle in a confined space with the family about

muppet

Quote from: Franko on October 06, 2015, 04:30:18 PM

Yawn. I am pointing out the insensitive treatment of survivors, as I see it. With the benefit of hindsight, we can see it was a completely pointless. exercise But even before we had the benefit of hindsight, we could reasonably argue that it was likely to pointless by asking how often has this approach yielded results in the past?

But you keep throwing out your insults and personalising the debate, 'as always'.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: stew on October 06, 2015, 04:36:45 PM
He has a point muppet!

The cops had snipers protecting them  from the rooftops, that was why they were not worried about their own safety as much, plus if they drawn their guns students, some students might have panicked and really effed things up.

But if the students might panic as the sight of a cop drawing a gun, how did they feel about snipers pointing their weapons at them?

They had just been through a very stressful ordeal. Some more than others obviously, but the possibility of abnormal behaviour, for example a panic attack, from one of them would have been a lot higher than normal. 
MWWSI 2017