America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

I get frustrated with it AZ.  We create this big stir in the media around the globe. The people are divided. Its coming in to election season now full swing but nothing changes.
Blue or red. They are all the same - controlled by big business and the gold coin.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

Lads, should we laugh or cry?? He's well named anyway...

QuoteErich Pratt is director of communications with Gun Owners of America. He told Newstalk Breakfast guns actually protect people from harm.

"Good guys with guns in this country stop mass shootings from occurring and it happens all the time" he said.

"Just recently in the state of Ohio a guy was kicked out of a bar, he got angry, went home, grabbed a shot gun (and) came back to the bar firing".

"But thankfully in our country we allow citizens to carry firearms - nobody was killed because somebody who works there in that bar pulled out his concealed firearms (and) shot and killed the guy" he added.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 27, 2015, 04:21:04 PM

QuoteErich Pratt is director of communications with Gun Owners of America. He told Newstalk Breakfast guns actually protect people from harm.

"Good guys with guns in this country stop mass shootings from occurring and it happens all the time" he said.

"Just recently in the state of Ohio a guy was kicked out of a bar, he got angry, went home, grabbed a shot gun (and) came back to the bar firing".

"But thankfully in our country we allow citizens to carry firearms - nobody was killed because somebody who works there in that bar pulled out his concealed firearms (and) shot and killed the guy" he added.

No mention of the fact that if the guy kicked out of the bar didn't have access to a shotgun there's a fair chance nobody would have been killed!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: screenexile on August 27, 2015, 04:26:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 27, 2015, 04:21:04 PM

No mention of the fact that if the guy kicked out of the bar didn't have access to a shotgun there's a fair chance nobody would have been killed!!

Exactly. So much bollix in 3 sentences.

Hardy

I heard that guy on Newstalk. He started off all sweetness and (twisted) logic but he gradually started losing it as the interviewer asked tougher questions. When he was asked if he thought there would be fewer mass killings if there were fewer guns available, he started ranting about the interviewer wanting to impose his standards and had to be reminded that the interviewer had only asked a question.

He finished off by saying that he and his organisation would not be in favour of background checks for gun buyers because, among other things, men aren't background checked for adultery before being given a marriage license. The interviewer didn't get to ask him how many people had been killed in mass marriages in the last year.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hardy on August 27, 2015, 04:48:19 PM
I heard that guy on Newstalk. He started off all sweetness and (twisted) logic but he gradually started losing it as the interviewer asked tougher questions. When he was asked if he thought there would be fewer mass killings if there were fewer guns available, he started ranting about the interviewer wanting to impose his standards and had to be reminded that the interviewer had only asked a question.

He finished off by saying that he and his organisation would not be in favour of background checks for gun buyers because, among other things, men aren't background checked for adultery before being given a marriage license. The interviewer didn't get to ask him how many people had been killed in mass marriages in the last year.

;D ;DWhat an eejit

Nearly as bad as comparing feigning injury to genocide, eh Hardy ;)

You gotta laugh tho at radio shows getting these eejits on for a bit of stupidity so that we can all have a good chuckle at them.

A majority of Americans like having guns, and like playing with them, legally and safely it must be said. But at the end of the day, thats what it all boils down to. The silly arguments that are spun for keeping them are just a justification of that fact.

They dont see it as worth the sacrifice to give them up, its as much to do with the rise of individualism as anything else. "Why should I do...x, y, z, just because he did....x,y,z"

whitey

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

The stats revealed her make for interesting reading.

I have no problem with law abiding citizens owning guns, but more must be done to tighten background checks and keep guns out of the hnds of the mentally unstable.

armaghniac

It is too easy to say that bad guys will always get guns. This may be true, but regular mad people don't generally have easy access to criminal circles. They may get a knife, but as stated above this might mean they kill one rather than many, a worthwhile gain.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Iceman

Quote from: armaghniac on August 27, 2015, 08:12:24 PM
It is too easy to say that bad guys will always get guns. This may be true, but regular mad people don't generally have easy access to criminal circles. They may get a knife, but as stated above this might mean they kill one rather than many, a worthwhile gain.

But whats the answer? Give me a solution that can credibly work? An amnesty isn't going to happen. Background checks going forward wont solve the millions of guns on the street today.
I just don't see an answer that will work given the history of the country and knowing the people on the ground
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hardy

Quote from: The Iceman on August 27, 2015, 08:15:22 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 27, 2015, 08:12:24 PM

But whats the answer? Give me a solution that can credibly work? An amnesty isn't going to happen. Background checks going forward wont solve the millions of guns on the street today.
I just don't see an answer that will work given the history of the country and knowing the people on the ground

Exactly. The situation is irretrievable. There's no going back from where America is now to where the rest of the civilised world stands on gun control. Mass killings and mad gun-toting rampages are here to stay in the USA.

Two things would worry you:
1) Given how American culture gradually colonises the rest of the English-speaking the world through its domination of global media and entertainment, there's a danger that, rather than America seeing sense and copying us on gun control, the American attitude to guns might get exported along with Hollywood, rap and America, f**k yeah.
2) The American attitude that a gun is the answer to so many problems goes all the way in their society - up to foreign policy level. Except they have more than guns at that level. A declining economic power with nuclear firepower and the proven willingness to use it is the international relations equivalent of a drunken cowboy in a saloon with a bazooka, who has just lost his year's wages at the poker table.

screenexile

The Yank on Matt Cooper lost the plot this evening.

Started talking along the lines of  'this is our United States of America and guns are our freedom. People dying is the price you pay for freedom! You people don't understand and to be honest you shouldn't concern yourselves with what's going on in our Country!!'

I'm remember the guy Piers Morgan had on his show a few years ago... It was pretty ridiculous the guy basically wouldn't engage at all ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XZvMwcluEg

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: screenexile on August 27, 2015, 09:02:12 PM

Started talking along the lines of  'this is our United States of America and guns are our freedom. People dying is the price you pay for freedom! You people don't understand and to be honest you shouldn't concern yourselves with what's going on in our Country!!'

I'm remember the guy Piers Morgan had on his show a few years ago... It was pretty ridiculous the guy basically wouldn't engage at all ...

What a nut case. And your man on arguing the 2nd amendment is a pure nut job as well.

GJL

Jesus! That is mental. The guy is completely nuts. If anything he is showing exactly why there needs to be more gun control and checks on people's mental health before the get a gun. He has 50 of them! :o :o :o

Hardy

It's good to hear the crazy people telling us why the crazy people have guns.