Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Looks like Wan-Bissaka is a done deal for £55m. I've heard more that I've seen of him to tell you the truth but it seems promising. The fee is big but as I've said in the past it doesn't bother me United having to overpay for players. It has always been the way and the club have the money. It's a position of dire need and he's versatile and a good defender. Obviously he's young so you's hope he will continue to develop and build on the levels he displayed last season when he was statistically the best right back in the league.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 20, 2019, 11:42:11 AM
Looks like Wan-Bissaka is a done deal for £55m. I've heard more that I've seen of him to tell you the truth but it seems promising. The fee is big but as I've said in the past it doesn't bother me United having to overpay for players. It has always been the way and the club have the money. It's a position of dire need and he's versatile and a good defender. Obviously he's young so you's hope he will continue to develop and build on the levels he displayed last season when he was statistically the best right back in the league.

Was also a lot of talk of the young lad Max Aarons from Norwich who seems to be very good, albeit it against Championship level teams.

Wan Bissaka is a very good defensive FB but I am not sure he offers a whole pile the other way.  The way the game is played these days attacking FBs is a key element.  The funny thing is that's attacking wing backs were key for the old liverpool way beack when though the way they did it was have a tucked in wide MF on one side who had an attacking FB and a defensive FB on the other side with an attacking MF/winger.  The team in the kate 80's would have had Nicol on the same side a lot of the time as Houghton and Staunton on the same side as Barnes.  Nicol was a complete machine up and down the side of the field and Staunton would have sat and held his side and Barnes attacked.  Wasn't always like this and you had Barry Venison and Ablett in there but that was a general way that the team played.

The key for United will be in CB.  £80m for Forehead Maguire is a big sum but he is a good defender.  Leicester will do very well to hold him. 

magpie seanie

A good defender will be a big improvement. Haven't been getting too much from full backs attacking wise since Valencia's form fell apart bar pummeling the first defender with crosses.

Not fully convinced on Maguire but he'd again be an improvement. The money doesn't bother me. If United stop giving up crappy goals it will be a huge step forward...not many needed to win games if you're hard to score against.

GJL

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 20, 2019, 12:45:47 PM
A good defender will be a big improvement. Haven't been getting too much from full backs attacking wise since Valencia's form fell apart bar pummeling the first defender with crosses.

Not fully convinced on Maguire but he'd again be an improvement. The money doesn't bother me. If United stop giving up crappy goals it will be a huge step forward...not many needed to win games if you're hard to score against.

Shaw is good at getting down the wing on the left...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: GJL on June 20, 2019, 12:55:21 PM

In over 100 games he has 1 goal and half a dozen assists....not ripping trees up.

BennyCake

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 20, 2019, 01:01:53 PM
Quote from: GJL on June 20, 2019, 12:55:21 PM

In over 100 games he has 1 goal and half a dozen assists....not ripping trees up.

Evra was a great FB, and his goal scoring wasn't great either. Great at getting forward though.

BennyCake

£55m for Bissaka. I know the name but no idea who he is or who he plays for.

What is the point in United having a youth team or academy when they're forking our £55m for a player that's not even that well known? £55m would provide you with a hell of a setup and facilities for an academy. Why do they have one when clearly the players aren't, or don't get the chance, to come through?

NAG1

BC1 hard to compare the fullbacks and their goals/ assists while playing in different systems.

United's play has been slow and low risk now for a couple of seasons, which has lead to the full backs more often than not turning out and playing backwards through the mid field. Who knows how good or bad Shaw would be if he was let go the way the Liverpool full backs are.

I'm not convinced by Wan-Bisakka but RB has been a problem in the team now for a good number of seasons and it is a start bringing in a hungry young player. Hopefully more too follow if this one is even over the line yet.

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on June 20, 2019, 01:38:47 PM

What is the point in United having a youth team or academy when they're forking our £55m for a player that's not even that well known? £55m would provide you with a hell of a setup and facilities for an academy. Why do they have one when clearly the players aren't, or don't get the chance, to come through?

United's academy consistently produces excellent professionals. When you can only operate within an hours drive or so of your location and there are a lot of other clubs drawing from the same well it's difficult to bring through really top level difference making talent in big numbers. United do it better than most so it's wrong to attack them on this. The Premier League has moved on. The level is much higher than 20/30 years ago. Top English players don't always make the top Premier League teams.

I'm sure you're appalled at the money being spent by other clubs like Man City, ya?

£55m is a drop in the ocean compared to what the owners have taken out of the club.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 20, 2019, 02:17:10 PM

United's academy consistently produces excellent professionals. When you can only operate within an hours drive or so of your location and there are a lot of other clubs drawing from the same well it's difficult to bring through really top level difference making talent in big numbers. United do it better than most so it's wrong to attack them on this. The Premier League has moved on. The level is much higher than 20/30 years ago. Top English players don't always make the top Premier League teams.

I'm sure you're appalled at the money being spent by other clubs like Man City, ya?

£55m is a drop in the ocean compared to what the owners have taken out of the club.

Sometimes I think people misunderstand the Academies of clubs.  It is rare that a club will consistently bring through first team players but it's about creating first team players for a lower level club in many respects to generate a cash flow to purchase other superstars from lower level clubs academies.  Teams like United, Liverpool, Arsenal and a few others have regularly pushed players through from youth ranks who make it but it is becoming less and less often now

magpie seanie

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 20, 2019, 02:24:45 PM

Sometimes I think people misunderstand the Academies of clubs.  It is rare that a club will consistently bring through first team players but it's about creating first team players for a lower level club in many respects to generate a cash flow to purchase other superstars from lower level clubs academies.  Teams like United, Liverpool, Arsenal and a few others have regularly pushed players through from youth ranks who make it but it is becoming less and less often now

The increased standard of the league has seen to that. It's just a simple fact that it's harder for a kid to make it in the Premier League which is now a global league and not one made up of 95% English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh players.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 20, 2019, 02:27:55 PM

The increased standard of the league has seen to that. It's just a simple fact that it's harder for a kid to make it in the Premier League which is now a global league and not one made up of 95% English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh players.

It is but if the academy is worked right then you can generate a decent cash turnover over a few years.  For instance, Liverpool could sell Harry Wilson, Ryan Kent and 1-2 others this summer and easily generate £40m.  That's half the fee for, for example, your man Pepe who they have been linked with heavily who is one of the next big things.  The club is not in a position that City are for instance and therefor has to play smart with it's money.  United I think also will have to play smart this window.  There's a few rumblings that there will be a limited enough budget.  Maybe that is a bargaining tool but maybe there is a genuine attitude among the owners that OGS must wheel and deal a bit to get the players he needs

TabClear

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 20, 2019, 02:38:09 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 20, 2019, 02:27:55 PM

It is but if the academy is worked right then you can generate a decent cash turnover over a few years.  For instance, Liverpool could sell Harry Wilson, Ryan Kent and 1-2 others this summer and easily generate £40m.  That's half the fee for, for example, your man Pepe who they have been linked with heavily who is one of the next big things.  The club is not in a position that City are for instance and therefor has to play smart with it's money.  United I think also will have to play smart this window.  There's a few rumblings that there will be a limited enough budget.  Maybe that is a bargaining tool but maybe there is a genuine attitude among the owners that OGS must wheel and deal a bit to get the players he needs

The reality is that  the top clubs are lucky to have two/three academy players in the 1st team squad these days. These players generally have to be exceptional like Foden/Rashford/Alexander Arnold or "lucky" with injuries to even get a chance. Look at the loan spells Harry Kane had to go on?

Ironically its partly the same fans who moan about clubs not bringing through homegrown talent are often the first to moan about not having a superstar in every position. Its causing a real problem with big English clubs now  as potentially outstanding prospects are now looking to Germany in particular  for guaranteed first team action at established Chapmions League clubs. Jadon Sancho is the obvious example but I have seen reports about Brewster/Duncan at Liverpool being approached by German teams as well as some City youngsters.

BennyCake

Clubs have scouts the world over. Lower level clubs sell a lot of players on to the top clubs, so if they can produce players at a lower level and with less resources, there's no reason the top teams can't.

I'm not appalled by the money spent by city. It's mad the money being spent by all clubs. And that's what I mean when I said about not giving youth a chance but instead spend 55m on an average player.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: BennyCake on June 20, 2019, 05:56:36 PM

Clubs have scouts the world over. Lower level clubs sell a lot of players on to the top clubs, so if they can produce players at a lower level and with less resources, there's no reason the top teams can't.

I'm not appalled by the money spent by city. It's mad the money being spent by all clubs. And that's what I mean when I said about not giving youth a chance but instead spend 55m on an average player.

From no idea to who Bissaka is or who he plays for to now having the view that he's an average player?

55m is about 15m to much but it will be money well spent if it means Ashley Young is no longer a regular starter.