I don't have a vote but would vote "Yes" if I did
107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

J70

I agree (and I don't!  :P). On the one hand,  it somewhat negates concerns about kids getting bullied due to gay parents because,  if they're not picking on this kid for one thing, they'll be picking on the next kid for another. Kids seek out little differences and abhor non-conformity, but one would hope that we will reach a point where being gay or having gay parents will not be seen as anything out of the ordinary.  Right now,  and this is where I wouldn't agree, I think there is still a significant stigma concerning homosexuality in the adult population that I would fear that kids would be taught to or would interpret it as ok to ostracize kids from gay families. I guess I would be more fearful of adult prejudice - fueled singling out rather than your (and my own ) farm background being used as a stick. But then again,  does it really matter to the kid who us the target where the motivation comes from?

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on May 29, 2015, 10:32:23 PM
I agree (and I don't!  :P). On the one hand,  it somewhat negates concerns about kids getting bullied due to gay parents because,  if they're not picking on this kid for one thing, they'll be picking on the next kid for another. Kids seek out little differences and abhor non-conformity, but one would hope that we will reach a point where being gay or having gay parents will not be seen as anything out of the ordinary.  Right now,  and this is where I wouldn't agree, I think there is still a significant stigma concerning homosexuality in the adult population that I would fear that kids would be taught to or would interpret it as ok to ostracize kids from gay families. I guess I would be more fearful of adult prejudice - fueled singling out rather than your (and my own ) farm background being used as a stick. But then again,  does it really matter to the kid who us the target where the motivation comes from?

I agree that there is prejudice surrounding the adult population and it should be weeded out as it is unacceptable.

But if you think that eliminating prejudice in adults will mean it will filter down to kids that aint gonna happen. Kids slag each other about freckles, FFS! Anything that is remotely different. Having anything other than a Mam and Dad will always be seen as different to kids as it will always be in a minority.

But you are right, where the motivation it comes from for a kid for abuse is irrelevant, as it has the same affect.

On a sort of a side note a couple of my neighbours were confronted with the simplicity of a child's mind when one of them was in the other's shop with a GAA jersey on. The owner's child told them that if they were Catholic they had better get out. Of course there was inital shock and embarrassment, followed by apologies, laughter and likely a very confused child getting the hairdryer treatment. :D

topcuppla

Quote from: J70 on May 29, 2015, 08:36:11 PM
Quote from: topcuppla on May 29, 2015, 04:07:17 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 29, 2015, 10:42:31 AM

Even linking being gay to child abuse puts you firmly in the homophobic category.

Child abuse does not have to be physical or sexual, but physiological abuse and social rejection are also abuse and that is what some poor child will suffer being raised by Barry and Paddy.

The only reason Barry and Paddy's kid would suffer psychological (presumably that is the word you were looking for?) abuse and social rejection is because ignorant fuckwits teach their kids that there is something wrong with and something to be feared with homosexuality. Just like with racists, some people will have to face down the ignoramuses for a while, but it will pass, along with the social acceptability of the prejudice.

Yip can't spell apologies, spelling aside as much as the highly educated and enlightened people on this board think that their liberal outlook is the norm, let me assure you it is not.  For everyone one here who like Barry and Paddy's arrangement adopting Mary or Sean hundreds of thousands of people will not be as embracing to the situation, that is life, that is the world we live in so dry your eyes about ignorant fuckwits because thye out number the rest by 100,000 to 1, are you telling me you are going to face them all down - so why put a child in that horrible position in the first place, and what prey tell do Barry and Paddy do when Mary gets to 11 or 12 and her body changes wtf will they know to help her, oh that's right google or ask a female friend, or maybe Mary will just be embarrassed to ask her daddies.

Maguire01

Quote from: topcuppla on May 30, 2015, 08:17:24 AM

Even linking being gay to child abuse puts you firmly in the homophobic category.

Child abuse does not have to be physical or sexual, but physiological abuse and social rejection are also abuse and that is what some poor child will suffer being raised by Barry and Paddy.

The only reason Barry and Paddy's kid would suffer psychological (presumably that is the word you were looking for?) abuse and social rejection is because ignorant fuckwits teach their kids that there is something wrong with and something to be feared with homosexuality. Just like with racists, some people will have to face down the ignoramuses for a while, but it will pass, along with the social acceptability of the prejudice.

Yip can't spell apologies, spelling aside as much as the highly educated and enlightened people on this board think that their liberal outlook is the norm, let me assure you it is not.  For everyone one here who like Barry and Paddy's arrangement adopting Mary or Sean hundreds of thousands of people will not be as embracing to the situation, that is life, that is the world we live in so dry your eyes about ignorant fuckwits because thye out number the rest by 100,000 to 1, are you telling me you are going to face them all down - so why put a child in that horrible position in the first place, and what prey tell do Barry and Paddy do when Mary gets to 11 or 12 and her body changes wtf will they know to help her, oh that's right google or ask a female friend, or maybe Mary will just be embarrassed to ask her daddies.
Hmmm, so the liberals are outnumbered 100,000 to 1 yet the referendum was passed with 62% voting in favour. Maths isn't your strong point.

As for that last bit - well they could ask a single parent for advice - many single fathers and mothers have been doing a great job raising children for years. If one parent can do it, the why wouldn't two be able to?

muppet

Quote from: topcuppla on May 30, 2015, 08:17:24 AM

I am embarrassed for you now.

I pray that no daughter of yours ends up in that situation relying on you for guidance. Imagine if she had to ask her Daddy! I am certain that the gay Daddies would handle it a lot more sensitively than you.

Many here will know families who sadly lost their mother's early and managed very well. You of course couldn't comprehend anything like that.

MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on May 30, 2015, 10:04:06 AM
I pray that no daughter of yours ends up in that situation relying on you for guidance. Imagine if she had to ask her Daddy! I am certain that the gay Daddies would handle it a lot more sensitively than you.

Many here will know families who sadly lost their mother's early and managed very well. You of course couldn't comprehend anything like that.

Of course we all know families missing a father or a mother where they've managed well. But why on earth would you deliberately contrive to bring about such a situation?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on May 30, 2015, 12:43:37 PM

Of course we all know families missing a father or a mother where they've managed well. But why on earth would you deliberately contrive to bring about such a situation?

We are not contriving to bring about such a situation.

Any child with a mother and father in a healthy relationship will continue to have a mother and father. The vote doesn't change that. Pretending it does is disingenuous in the extreme.

Isn't it time to move on from the 'will someone think of the children' bullshit?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on May 30, 2015, 01:05:12 PM

We are not contriving to bring about such a situation

yeah right.

QuoteAny child with a mother and father in a healthy relationship will continue to have a mother and father. The vote doesn't change that. Pretending it does is disingenuous in the extreme.

Who is pretending that? it is disingenuous to pretend that people are pretending that. What you are proposing is new relationships with children without a mother or father.

QuoteIsn't it time to move on from the 'will someone think of the children' bullshit?

If you think the interests of children are bullshit, then I suppose it is.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on May 30, 2015, 01:11:14 PM

yeah right.

QuoteAny child with a mother and father in a healthy relationship will continue to have a mother and father. The vote doesn't change that. Pretending it does is disingenuous in the extreme.

Who is pretending that? it is disingenuous to pretend that people are pretending that. What you are proposing is new relationships with children without a mother or father.

QuoteIsn't it time to move on from the 'will someone think of the children' bullshit?

The old thumb to the nose argument. I suppose I should be glad as it is a change from 'will someone think of the children'.

MWWSI 2017

topcuppla

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 30, 2015, 08:28:51 AM

Hmmm, so the liberals are outnumbered 100,000 to 1 yet the referendum was passed with 62% voting in favour. Maths isn't your strong point.

As for that last bit - well they could ask a single parent for advice - many single fathers and mothers have been doing a great job raising children for years. If one parent can do it, the why wouldn't two be able to?

The referendum wasn't 60% of people voting in favour of gay marriage, I'd say most were protest voters against the church or whatever and rightly so, it's a sham of an institution, but if you think 60%+ people on this island, are liberal on matters of homosexuality you have your head in the clouds.  As for your other quip, yeah because the child will only need emotional support for a day until she has it explained and then she be grand!

topcuppla

Yeah because they have a normal family support group to rally around, who will rally around Paddy and Barry, Seamus and John?

topcuppla

Quote from: muppet on May 30, 2015, 01:14:55 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 30, 2015, 01:11:14 PM

yeah right.

The old thumb to the nose argument. I suppose I should be glad as it is a change from 'will someone think of the children'.

I would rather think of the children that constantly play the homophobic card.

muppet

Quote from: topcuppla on May 30, 2015, 03:35:15 PM

Yeah because they have a normal family support group to rally around, who will rally around Paddy and Barry, Seamus and John?

Wow! You can't comprehend that a gay couple might actually have 'a normal family support group to rally round'. You actually think that an all male couple could only have all male couple support groups.

And you get offended when you are called homophobic.  ;D

MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017