I don't have a vote but would vote "Yes" if I did
107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

easytiger95

You do realise that LGBT groups would not need pressure groups to agitate for equality (in all its forms, not just marriage equality) if they did not face discrimination every day?

easytiger95

And of course that the No campaign is backed by the Catholic Church and its various different pressure groups? (Who, to say the least are not short of a bob or two)

easytiger95

And that the other 96% of funding is not even mentioned or or the causes it backed named?

armaghniac

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 19, 2015, 11:39:26 PM
And how much of that 4% each year was expressly devoted to bringing about a same sex marriage referendum?

How much went to people supporting marriage?

QuoteYou do realise that LGBT groups would not need pressure groups to agitate for equality (in all its forms, not just marriage equality) if they did not face discrimination every day?

As was pointed out on the TV tonight, you have the head of Amnesty International, the Minister for Health bleating about how they are discriminated against, despite having high positions and on the day when a former President came out batting for them. Play the other violin.

QuoteAnd that the other 96% of funding is not even mentioned or or the causes it backed named?

Why should it be? That would be a bit like saying the Varadkar is a good Minister and so that justifies gay marriage.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

easytiger95

Or the fact that Mr Arnold does not mention that any philanthropic fund which espouses social justice will naturally donate money to LGBT groups, not just here but in other places, where they face far, far worse discrimination?

easytiger95

Or even the fact that Catholic groups and other socially conservative groups donate to causes which they feel are important across the world - as they did in the the abortion and divorce referendums in Ireland, and as they are currently doing now in this referendum?

easytiger95

The last person I heard trying to make a smoking gun into a mushroom cloud, was a Mr D. Rumsfeld.

easytiger95

The worst thing about some of the elements of the No campaign is that they set the rules and then complain when other people abide by them.

armaghniac

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 19, 2015, 11:48:41 PM
Or the fact that Mr Arnold does not mention that any philanthropic fund which espouses social justice will naturally donate money to LGBT groups, not just here but in other places, where they face far, far worse discrimination?

They are manipulating our democracy. Stop defending it.

easytiger95

I have a small violin - and it is playing not for the majority of people who are voting No, who are genuinely conflicted by it, and find that after their agonising, they can only follow the course their  conscience sets for them.

easytiger95

No, my violin plays for those who try and mask their motives - who pull out the right wing play book and scream foul at being called homophobes whilst making bad jokes about "bent" pressure groups (the mask is never firm upon the face), who talk about democracy whilst decrying the Constitutional Convention where this referendum originated, who take floods of money from the church and other socially conservative groups, relying on that infrastructure to get their message across, but whining when LGBT groups get themselves organised and funded. People who only mourn the loss of democracy when the will of the people is against them. Who rage against left wing conspiracies when all the facts are against them. And who look at this issue, not as one affecting genuine and good people of whatever sexuality, but as another battleground in their domino theory of rolling back secular humanism.

This issue will be decided on Friday, and to those who vote their conscience Yes or No, all I can say is congratulations. This has been a spectacular exercise in democracy, no matter the result, and as a people, we don't give ourselves enough credit for engaging in it.

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on May 19, 2015, 11:55:32 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on May 19, 2015, 11:48:41 PM

They are manipulating our democracy. Stop defending it.

How?

For once, one single time on this thread, can you attempt to back up what you have said and show precisely how democracy has been 'manipulated'.

The hosting of a referendum was decided by the Constitutional Convention. If you are alleging that they have been bought then come out and say it.

Chuck Feeney has been sending money to Ireland since 1982. If he has been doing it to manipulate us all into allowing gay marriage, via a referendum, then he has been fairly patient, hasn't he?
MWWSI 2017

easytiger95

Quote from: armaghniac on May 19, 2015, 11:46:14 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on May 19, 2015, 11:39:26 PM
And how much of that 4% each year was expressly devoted to bringing about a same sex marriage referendum?

How much went to people supporting marriage?

QuoteYou do realise that LGBT groups would not need pressure groups to agitate for equality (in all its forms, not just marriage equality) if they did not face discrimination every day?

As was pointed out on the TV tonight, you have the head of Amnesty International, the Minister for Health bleating about how they are discriminated against, despite having high positions and on the day when a former President came out batting for them. Play the other violin.

QuoteAnd that the other 96% of funding is not even mentioned or or the causes it backed named?

Why should it be? That would be a bit like saying the Varadkar is a good Minister and so that justifies gay marriage.

Wow.

armaghniac

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 20, 2015, 12:09:35 AM
This issue will be decided on Friday, and to those who vote their conscience Yes or No, all I can say is congratulations. This has been a spectacular exercise in democracy, no matter the result, and as a people, we don't give ourselves enough credit for engaging in it.

This has been an exercise in democracy convened by venal politicians against a background of deliberate misinformation, a malign conscious attempt to debase a serious subject and stifle debate and demonise the opposition. An exercise where charities are bribed to support one side, where the media don't even pretend to be unbiased in many cases and where many of the participants don't even accept any need for them to be unbiased.

Quote from: easytiger95Wow.

Are you Mary "reorganise the country to suit my family" McAleese?

easytiger95

Quote from: armaghniac on May 20, 2015, 12:23:15 AM
Quote from: easytiger95 on May 20, 2015, 12:09:35 AM

This has been an exercise in democracy convened by venal politicians against a background of deliberate misinformation, a malign conscious attempt to debase a serious subject and stifle debate and demonise the opposition. An exercise where charities are bribed to support one side, where the media don't even pretend to be unbiased in many cases and where many of the participants don't even accept any need for them to be unbiased.

Quote from: easytiger95Wow.

Are you Mary reorganise the country to suit my family McAleese?

Wow.