107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 01, 2015, 07:21:22 AM
QuoteNepotism is when you direct public policy to the advantage of our own family, when you wouldn't do it for other people. ... This is corruption.

So supposing someone opposes marriage equality. Then one of their children comes out as gay. Then they learn that homosexuality is as much an accident of birth as left-handedness. Then they change their minds on marriage equality. That's not "nepotism." That's called changing your mind in the light of having a new understanding.

If some politician is making pronouncements on an important matter they should have an informed opinion, which cannot be changed by a sample of one. In the same way as if one of Newt Gingrich's children decided to become a Muslim and he then decided that invading Iraq was wrong, it was no more or less wrong because of one person.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on May 01, 2015, 07:28:10 AM
If some politician is making pronouncements on an important matter they should have an informed opinion, which cannot be changed by a sample of one. In the same way as if one of Newt Gingrich's children decided to become a Muslim and he then decided that invading Iraq was wrong, it was no more or less wrong because of one person.

So once a politician realizes that homophobia is wrong because one of his children turns out to be gay, he should carry on being homophobic and not let his new understanding of the matter change his mind?

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 01, 2015, 07:32:58 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 01, 2015, 07:28:10 AM

So once a politician realizes that homophobia is wrong because one of his children turns out to be gay, he should carry on being homophobic and not let his new understanding of the matter change his mind?

What with unconditional love of children and whatnot, he may then be mainly representing himself.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Even if he now knows he was wrong before?

muppet

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 01, 2015, 01:41:23 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 30, 2015, 09:23:44 PM

But you can't call churches backward and discriminatory for simply adhering to non negotiable beliefs derived straight from the bible.

Yes you can.

Non-negitiable beliefs straight from The Bible such as this:

And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

Or is it an a la carte arrangement?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Why do so many people always quote some mad things from the Old Testament?
The New Testament is the real basis for Christianity.
Anyway I'm probably changing to a Yes on this proposal on the basis that it's no skin off my nose.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnneycool

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 30, 2015, 06:42:15 PM
Quote from: heganboy on April 30, 2015, 06:41:15 PM

What about Jewish faith Tony? were Mary and Joseph not really married because theirs was a Jewish service in a synagogue?

Good catch! I think our Tony just called Jesus a b**tard too!

Sure we all know Jesus was a b*stard, the bible tells us so.

Mary was betrothed to Joseph, not married to him.

annapr

And Jesus had two fathers. He turned out ok  ;D

macdanger2

Quote from: annapr on May 01, 2015, 10:28:18 AM

That'd make a great campaign poster

muppet

Brilliant, I might nick this!
MWWSI 2017

topcuppla

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 01, 2015, 01:39:44 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 30, 2015, 09:19:37 PM
Aside from the religious perspective I believe gay marriage and the normalisation of unnatural relationships to full equal status with those that are natural, is bad for society.

"Unnatural?" Are you saying that homosexuality does not exist in nature?

I think the homo but shows it is for humans only!

imtommygunn

Quote from: topcuppla on May 01, 2015, 11:19:36 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 01, 2015, 01:39:44 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 30, 2015, 09:19:37 PM
Aside from the religious perspective I believe gay marriage and the normalisation of unnatural relationships to full equal status with those that are natural, is bad for society.

"Unnatural?" Are you saying that homosexuality does not exist in nature?

I think the homo but shows it is for humans only!

There was a gay bull...

deiseach

Jesus is probably not a good example for the Yes campaign. His upbringing made him tripolar.

Hardy

Quote from: muppet on May 01, 2015, 10:36:20 AM

Excellent!

I do find it funny that the "Vote 'No' for Jesus" brigade seem to miss the point that Jesus's message was "love your fellow man".

Anyway, yesterday I heard the most bizarre argument yet for voting 'No'. I was told, "if the animals behaved like that, we'd have nothing to eat".

Bingo

Quote from: Hardy on May 01, 2015, 11:33:22 AM
Quote from: muppet on May 01, 2015, 10:36:20 AM

Excellent!

I do find it funny that the "Vote 'No' for Jesus" brigade seem to miss the point that Jesus's message was "love your fellow man".

Anyway, yesterday I heard the most bizarre argument yet for voting 'No'. I was told, "if the animals behaved like that, we'd have nothing to eat".

Even that's flawed. Sure the AI man does most of the work now anyway.