26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

Eamonnca1

Quote from: topcuppla on April 30, 2015, 08:28:47 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 30, 2015, 08:14:08 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 30, 2015, 07:49:26 AM
Gawd, homophobes seem to hate being called homophobes even more than free staters hate being called free staters!

Just to be clear, who are you calling homophobe here?

You will find that most play the homophobic card when anyone doesn't openly embrace all things gay, it truly is quite pathetic really.  I bet most defending homosexuality to the max would have a wobble or two if their son / daughter told them they were gay.

Well that's what they all say, isn't it?

"I'm not homophobic but..."

"I'm not racist but..."

There's always a but, isn't there?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: topcuppla on April 30, 2015, 09:32:26 AM
those who say anything negative are homophobic, the rest are civil right campaigners fighting for the equality across society and shouldn't be questioned.

Translation: "The truth hurts. Stop telling me the truth."

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on April 30, 2015, 11:37:03 AM
No I wouldn't be in favour of recriminalising homosexuality,but I am vehemently opposed to the normalisation of homosexuality and the debasement of the holy sacrament of marriage.

Britney Spears got married in Vegas and got it annulled the next morning when she sobered up. Half of heterosexual marriages end in divorce and broken homes.  But yeah, it's people in committed same-sex relationships that are "debasing" marriage.

heganboy

Quote from: T Fearon on April 30, 2015, 05:30:49 PM
I think that any marriage not occurring in church and therefore God's endorsement is absent is invalid,in the eyes of God.

You'd be more of a Benedict/ JP2 guy than a Frances fan then Tony?

Interfaith marriages? Catholic marrying Protestant in an Anglican church?  C of I marrying Catholic in a Catholic Ceremony but not converting? Are all churches ok- or are you a one true faith kind of guy? What if someone had not been to confession before the sacrament- would it also be invalid? Or they hadn't attended the requisite pre marriage curse course?

What about Jewish faith Tony? were Mary and Joseph not really married because theirs was a Jewish service in a synagogue?

Where exactly is your line for marriage?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Eamonnca1

I think that any marriage not occurring in church and therefore God's endorsement is absent is invalid,in the eyes of God.Once again my objection on religious and moral grounds is the normalisation of gay relationships,to the point that they should be accepted as the norm.

So the only people ever to have been "truly" married are practicing catholics. Everyone else in the world is a bastard. Thanks for clearing that up.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: heganboy on April 30, 2015, 06:41:15 PM

What about Jewish faith Tony? were Mary and Joseph not really married because theirs was a Jewish service in a synagogue?

Good catch! I think our Tony just called Jesus a bastard too!

imtommygunn

I think that any marriage not occurring in church and therefore God's endorsement is absent is invalid,in the eyes of God.Once again my objection on religious and moral grounds is the normalisation of gay relationships,to the point that they should be accepted as the norm.

Do you mean only in the catholic church?

stew

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2015, 06:43:04 PM

I would imagine he means any Christian Church!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: heganboy on April 30, 2015, 06:41:15 PM

In fact he probably thinks it depends on whether they were catholic jews or protestant jews.

imtommygunn

Quote from: stew on April 30, 2015, 07:44:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2015, 06:43:04 PM

I would imagine he means any Christian Church!
Hard to know... Just wondering how narrow these views go!

stew

From my vantage point Fearon has a different view to most on here and they crucify him for it! What the fcuk is wrong with you people?

I differ in my views from Tony but I respect his right to feel how he feels, I do think he is a wee bit up the Kafflics Church's arse at times but he is at least honest and deserves better than to be treated as he is by some of you gaaboarders!

As long as they are not being married in Christian Churches, I simply hate people being treated differently from others but ultimately I believe marriage in the sight of God should be between a man and a woman, a civil marriage/ marriage of state should be sufficient to get the job done for these alternative lifestyle people!

I will never understand homosexuality but it has no bearing on how me or mine live our lives and given that some cnut from Armagh just got done for humping a dog whilst thinking of his infant children..... I guess there are a lot bigger issues than this one out there........................And the tr**p only got ten months!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ziggysego

Quote from: screenexile on April 29, 2015, 04:01:07 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on April 29, 2015, 02:21:06 PM
Last night I was at the West Tyrone Decides debate in Omagh. In West Tyrone, we have 9 candidates standing for election, but Tom Buchanan of the DUP was a no-show.

The question came around to marriage equality and of course all eyes turned towards the Independent Susan-Anne White. She claimed that gay parents were 40% more likely to abuse their children. Of course there was outrage from the rest of the panel and the audience, people asking her to proves the states she was claiming. Instead, she named two gay people that allegedly abused children. They live internet feed was immediately cut due to legal reasons.

There was outcrys from everyone saying that two people do not amount to 40% increase within the gay community. When asked by Conor Keys, the chair of the debate, did she look into heterosexual child abuse cases. Susan-Anne just replied no, that doesn't matter. She said she was only concerned with gay child abuse cases.

Says it all really. Child abuse is child abuse. It does not matter what section of the community you belong to.

Holy shit!!!

LAD did a wee video on it.

https://www.facebook.com/BELFASTLAD/videos/361508837387407/
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1The No campaign and its supporters.

Characterising the entire No campaign and all its supporters as homophobes is par for the course, for those who prefer abuse and prejudice to rational argument. One wonders how the homosexuals in the No campaign, who are also active in promoting the rights of homosexuals, can be reasonably characterised as homophobes. But of course much of this comes from those who characterise any limitation on abortion as misogynist, even when women support this. 

Talk of religion is all very fine for baiting other posters, but it is not the point in relation to this thread. Religions have  certain faith type things, they also latch on to things that are generally good for society, support marriage, do not rob, do not kill, respect your parents and the like. Even you are Richard Dawkins there is no reason to promote killing because the bible suggests thou shalt not kill and even if you think religion is bollix there is no reason to seek to undermine marriage because the Catholic Church marries people.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Quite simply if a couple have a belief in God,and want to get married in his sight,and obtain his endorsement of their union,I believe a wedding ceremony in any Church is sufficient,on the basis of "when people are gathered together in my name I am present".

Stew how right you are.You get pilloried in Ireland for holding traditional views or beliefs these days.As I said before I suspect the majority trumpeting gay rights and so called equality here wouldn't be seen dead in a gay bar (was in one inadvertently in Glasgow myself one night but got out quicker than Usain Bolt when I realised where I was!) or at a gay pride parade,but anything that annoys or offends Christians with sincere beliefs is fair game for these people.

J70

Quote from: stew on April 30, 2015, 08:06:51 PM
From my vantage point Fearon has a different view to most on here and they crucify him for it! What the fcuk is wrong with you people?

I differ in my views from Tony but I respect his right to feel how he feels, I do think he is a wee bit up the Kafflics Church's arse at times but he is at least honest and deserves better than to be treated as he is by some of you gaaboarders!

As long as they are not being married in Christian Churches, I simply hate people being treated differently from others but ultimately I believe marriage in the sight of God should be between a man and a woman, a civil marriage/ marriage of state should be sufficient to get the job done for these alternative lifestyle people!

I will never understand homosexuality but it has no bearing on how me or mine live our lives and given that some cnut from Armagh just got done for humping a dog whilst thinking of his infant children..... I guess there are a lot bigger issues than this one out there........................And the tr**p only got ten months!

Hold on there Stew - no one is forcing Tony to post his views. They are pretty strong and forceful, and probably deliberately provocative, especially when he ignores the valid critiques of his points. I don't think anyone is saying he doesn't have a right to his opinions. What he does not have is a right not to have those opinions analyzed and rebutted. As long as the responses are kept somewhat mannerly and non-personal, of course.