I don't have a vote but would vote "Yes" if I did
107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

LCohen

is there going to b a no campaign? One that engages in a debate?

Not picking up on anything across the media that outlines the argument for voting No

muppet

Quote from: LCohen on February 15, 2015, 05:33:24 PM

Not picking up on anything across the media that outlines the argument for voting No

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/bishops-riposte-on-samesex-marriage-referendum-30797622.html
MWWSI 2017

LCohen

Quote from: muppet on February 15, 2015, 05:38:09 PM
Quote from: LCohen on February 15, 2015, 05:33:24 PM

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/bishops-riposte-on-samesex-marriage-referendum-30797622.html

i read that but there is nothing in it. A couple of bland statements about the meaning of marriage and a bit of scare mongering about the impact on hetrosexual couples but nothing of any substance. Have they given up on the outcome or will they brave the debate closer to the time?

Eamonnca1

Have I posted this before? Can't remember, it's too long a thread for me to read all of it.

Anyway, Zach Wahls speaks about the effects of being raised by a same-sex couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSQQK2Vuf9Q

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hardy

armaghniac

Quote from: Hardy on February 20, 2015, 10:59:03 AM
Taoiseach said probably Fri 22 May.

The intention is to have the present adoption Bill through before this. This Bill is a complex thing in its own right and it should get the time required to discuss it, even if the May date has to slip as consequence.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Arseblog's take

We're having a marriage referendum in Ireland here shortly and arguments go on all day between the people who rightly believe that people who love each other should be able to get married, and the people who think they have some kind of right to stop this happening.

The question, of course, is what happens to you if two men or two women get married? What impact does it have on your life? The answer is absolutely none. Two people I have never met go through some kind of ceremony in a place I've never been at a time I'm unaware of and my life goes on the same as it did before this happened. It's not as if every time a gay couple get married a massive hole is punched in the ozone layer and there's a plague of cancer locusts.

Nothing happens other than these two people and their friends and families have a nice day and the couple hopefully have a nice life together. So imagine what kind of person you have to be to actively campaign against that. Just mind your own business.

That's the thing: if people would just mind their own goddam business and leave people who have nothing to do with them alone then this would be a much happier planet. You're this, I'm that, or maybe we could just look at each other as people and not worry about what arbitrary category we belong in, and we can just get on with our lives.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J70

Quote from: ONeill on February 20, 2015, 01:18:07 PM
Arseblog's take

We're having a marriage referendum in Ireland here shortly and arguments go on all day between the people who rightly believe that people who love each other should be able to get married, and the people who think they have some kind of right to stop this happening.

The question, of course, is what happens to you if two men or two women get married? What impact does it have on your life? The answer is absolutely none. Two people I have never met go through some kind of ceremony in a place I've never been at a time I'm unaware of and my life goes on the same as it did before this happened. It's not as if every time a gay couple get married a massive hole is punched in the ozone layer and there's a plague of cancer locusts.

Nothing happens other than these two people and their friends and families have a nice day and the couple hopefully have a nice life together. So imagine what kind of person you have to be to actively campaign against that. Just mind your own business.

That's the thing: if people would just mind their own goddam business and leave people who have nothing to do with them alone then this would be a much happier planet. You're this, I'm that, or maybe we could just look at each other as people and not worry about what arbitrary category we belong in, and we can just get on with our lives.

That's about the crux of the argument.  We keep hearing about the "weakening" of marriage that gay marriage will lead to, but we never get any details on what the actual effects will be.

armaghniac

This is naive, but typical. If two people want a party and to spend a nice life together than that is indeed not the business of someone else, they can do that now, so no need for a time-wasting referendum . If they wish to be given legal privileges at the expense of other citizens then it becomes everyone's business.

muppet

Quote from: J70 on February 20, 2015, 01:53:54 PM
Arseblog's take

That's about the crux of the argument.  We keep hearing about the "weakening" of marriage that gay marriage will lead to, but we never get any details on what the actual effects will be.

Elections and Referenda are won with soundbites, not reason. I don't expect much genuine debate. Vincent Browne is an example of the circus that poses as debate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrMukwjJTfA
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: armaghniac on February 20, 2015, 03:19:36 PM

This is naive, but typical. If two people want a party and to spend a nice life together than that is indeed not the business of someone else, they can do that now, so no need for a time-wasting referendum . If they wish to be given legal privileges at the expense of other citizens then it becomes everyone's business.

How is it at the 'expense' of other citizens? I am under the impression that this will just allow gay people to get married, and enjoy the same rights as every other married couple?

I say let them at it, why should they be happier than everyone else?

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 20, 2015, 03:27:18 PM
How is it at the 'expense' of other citizens? I am under the impression that this will just allow gay people to get married, and enjoy the same rights as every other married couple?

Those "rights" include taxation privileges, do they not?

stew

I have a good friend that is a homosexual, he recently sent me an invite to his wedding, I declined the invite on the grounds that I simply have no interest in watching two lads get married to each other, that said I wish them well and  bought them a present which was returned.

Things are further complicated by the fact that I coach his three sons and all are under contract with me until June fifteenth next year, his partner has told him he is banning me from ever entering their home and that he is going to take me to court to fight the contract my mate signed, being a stubborn hoor I could and might spend whatever it takes to piss him off but I will probably let them go and move on.

Tony is hammered on this thread because of his stance, three years ago I would have agreed with him one hundred percent however as long as they dont get married in a Christian Church it does not bother me, I reserve the right to be repulsed by homosexuality but i respect the fact my friend has the right to wed in many states here in the USA.I would vote yes with a heavy heart because not to do so would be a vote to discriminate against fellow citizens and that I cannot live with in good conscience!

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.