Club Hurling

Started by BallyroanAbbey, April 16, 2017, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogie

Thoughts on tomorrow's games Merman & others??

merman

RE and BK for me.

Can't see how Ballinakill will handle the RE forward line. They're going to hit at least 18 scores and unless Ballinakill hit 3 goals then I can't see them causing an upset.
RE by 7.

The second game could be an absolute belter.
Both have mixed the poor with the sublime this year but I just feel BK may carry a better spread of scorers.
BK by 4.

Mad Mentor

On paper it would appear to be a straight forward win for RE, but Ballinakill have managed in the past to pull big performances out of the bag. Our county hurlers are coming back into form again and Ray Bowe has been excellent since breaking into the team so I would hope to see us get through. Winning the final would be a whole different ball game as who ever wins the second game will probably be favourites for the title.
Again on paper BK look the better team, but Camross always seem to be better than the sum of their parts. Camross were very physical and focussed in the group match against us, but lacked the same intensity against CB. I tip Camross to win on a tight margin.

BallyroanAbbey

Great to see Slieve Bloom win last night, best thing that ever happened to that club was going in with castletown for a few years. Felt that the 2 conroys were held quite well during the game bar the last 5 when ben got 1-2 but that was only after they took the lead and camross legs seemed to go. In fairness to camross they looked the slicker team for the majority while slive bloom seemed nervy, the red card probably cost them near the end of the game.
Also well done to mountmellick and chris harnett in particular, seems to be a very shruwed and capable manager, 2 championships in 2 years is very impressive regardless of the levels

Slieve Blooms win will have a knock on implacation for castletown now too as the gaels arrangement will not be let continue, and without conroy its fair to say they would be doing well to stay senior.

As for today while rathdowney would have the better team ballinakill do have the best player and best manager left in the championship so it'll be closer than many think, certainly no 26/27 point win, but rathdowneys overall quality should prevail.

The 2nd match between borris and camross i feel borris have better players but camross are proven winners and i feel will win here

The Rover

Congratulations to Slieve Bloom a great achievement, love to see them do well in the senior A championship next year.
Chris Hartnett doing great work with Mountmellick, they will be a force in the intermediate championship next year.
Portlaoise or The Harps will struggle in the senior championship next year very hard to compete at that level without an amalgamation. R/E, C/B, B/K. I know the harps are an amalgamation and Portlaoise should be a much stronger outfit with the numbers they have, but hurling is the poor relation in Portlaoise. Ballyfin , Clonaslee, Rosenallis are at their level and on their own would be way off the mark at senior.
Maybe it would be worth a look at a regional team championship on the lines that is proposed for the football

merman

Quote from: merman on September 22, 2018, 11:33:07 PM
RE and BK for me.

Can't see how Ballinakill will handle the RE forward line. They're going to hit at least 18 scores and unless Ballinakill hit 3 goals then I can't see them causing an upset.
RE by 7.

The second game could be an absolute belter.
Both have mixed the poor with the sublime this year but I just feel BK may carry a better spread of scorers.
BK by 4.

I've got to stop underestimating Camross. Exceptional champions!!!

burdizzo

Rover - Clough/ Ballacolla is hardly an amalgamation, is it?

R/E didn't look too wonderful getting over Ballinakill, and it was only their somewhat lucky goal that turned the game in the second half.
Camross will probably be favourites in the final: dogged B/K out of, but they have a nice blend of hefty whores and a few good skilful hurlers. Didn't let Borris hurl, and R/E will have to really want it physically to prevail.

Wonder would Eddie Brennan get Joe Campion and Ciaran Collier back for Leix? I'd say getting Zane would be asking too much, but his point from a sideline cut in the first half was something else!

The Rover

take your point on C/B.
I am just wondering if their is any way that club hurling could become more competitive and less predictable in the hope that Laois could develop into a more competitive county and at least win the McDonagh cup.
it is not easy to get commitment from players that can see no light at the end of the tunnel. I think it would be worth considering a league based on regional teams with a view to select a county panel.

burdizzo

It's many years since a team retained the county senior championship, and that would indicate a fairly competitive championship. Sure, there's only a few teams that could realistically win it, but that's the same in most sports. Indeed, there's an argument that says the county set-up might be better if there was one really strong club dominating the club scene, and which provided the backbone of the county team!

Don Draper

Fair play to Mountmellick, two promotions and up to Intermediate. Only right for a town of their size, but at least they've pulled the f**king finger out.

Special mention for Slieve Bloom, great to see them get their moment in the spotlight as well. Hope it meant a lot to the Conroys and proof of the worthiness of winning one with your own rather than taking the nuclear option.

redsetanta

Success brings interest and attracts more people so hopefully they can continue upwards. Added to that they'll get the bonus of a run in Leinster. Pity the manager is stepping down.

Great to see a small club winning it's what the GAA is all about.

Camross must be favourites for the senior and will they be the first to win back to back since Castletown. Eddie Brennan will be doing well to get a few more into the county set up.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

HURLING1

Great crowd at the 2 games yesterday.
First match hadn't much excitement. Ballinakill tactics and work rate really kept R/E quiet. A slightly lucky goal changed the direction of the match and Ballinakill didn't have the firepower to respond.
B/k were very poor in the second match. Most of their big players didn't turn up but Matthew Whelan and Joe Campion were excellent. Camross had strong performances all over the field and the also have a very strong bench.
Camross will probably be slight favourites in the final but this R/E team has a lot more to give so should be close.

blueandwhite1

2 big senior finals on Sunday. What's the verdict? Both matches should be tight enough.

In the first match, both teams seem about on a par but if Portlaoise are without Aaron Bergin it should favour The Harps.

The second should be a great game. If Camross are given a head start again as they were against BK in the semi and RE in the group stages they will be hard stopped. If RE hurl from the start I can see them winning. From memory, it is quite a while since Camross have beaten RE in a knockout game and RE won't want to lose 2 finals in 3 years so it should be hell for leather. Camross should be rightfully favourites since they had to beat much better opposition to get to the final. As they lost their first group match they have essentially won 3 knock out matches in a row against CB, BK and RE. Still, RE have classy hurlers all over and when they are on song are probably the strongest team in the county.

merman

I haven't seen any minor hurling this year but I like what I'm hearing about The Harps underage structures so I'll take them to beat CB-Mountrath in the opener tomorrow.
Pure guess mind.

I'm convinced the second game will see the Senior A Championship heading back to Durrow/Cullohill tomorrow. I don't think Portlaoise have enough firepower, especially without Aaron Bergin.
The Harps should be solid defensively and the likes of John Brophy, Michael Lanigan, Ciaran Comerford and the hugely impressive Eoin Clancy should see them through.
Fintan Deegan is looking to put together back-to-back Senior A Championship and I can see him guiding The Harps to another good year in 2019. I think he could be an interesting Laois minor manager in 2020 when our current U15s are at minor grade.
Harps by 6.

I've gone back and forth on the second game. I've seen more of Camross than RE this year and I think they are the only senior team in Laois to have maintained (if not, improved) from last year. The rest of the county seems to have regressed somewhat and RE will need to be at their best physically and mentally to come through.
A Camross win would be a massive achievement and it might be the sweetest for some of their senior players who have really driven things on this year.
RE have the forwards to cause any side trouble but they need to win individual battles against a team who rarely lose theirs. If Roddy King or Paddy Purcell shoot the lights out then they'll win....but I don't think they will.
Camross by 3.

Mossy Bruce

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!