China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Zero Covid is of course the ideal world. But is it possible? Considering where Ireland is located, England is 20 mins away and they will be open for business fully in weeks.

Protest Marches on the up, is public demand in general there....people just want their lives back. Can it be pushed back further and further?

Rossfan

Covid doesn't seem to be taking these protest marches seriously.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 22, 2021, 11:03:20 AM
Zero Covid is of course the ideal world. But is it possible? Considering where Ireland is located, England is 20 mins away and they will be open for business fully in weeks.

Protest Marches on the up, is public demand in general there....people just want their lives back. Can it be pushed back further and further?
It was possible

It may not be possible now

But neither is opening up possible

themac_23

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 22, 2021, 10:22:03 AM
The measures put in place have only ever been half baked and now there is almost no way out of them.

On a note of the NHS in the north. There are currently ~170 give or take in hospital with covid and the hospital capacity is at 96%. The health service really is creaking here :(

where are you getting your stats? in ICU as of yesterday there were 14 beds occupied with Covid 69 as other and 21 free beds. in the general bed terms there were 118 Covid occupied 2624 non Covid and 119 unoccupied. so 14+118= is 132 in hosp with Covid. I stand to be corrected but thats just lifted straight from the dashboard. ive said it before and il say it again, its not the publics job to 'protect the NHS' its the government's job to properly fund the NHS and give it the resources required to function. the Covid numbers are not what has the NHS 'cracking here'

armaghniac

Quote from: themac_23 on March 22, 2021, 11:28:02 AM
The measures put in place have only ever been half baked and now there is almost no way out of them.

On a note of the NHS in the north. There are currently ~170 give or take in hospital with covid and the hospital capacity is at 96%. The health service really is creaking here :(

where are you getting your stats? in ICU as of yesterday there were 14 beds occupied with Covid 69 as other and 21 free beds. in the general bed terms there were 118 Covid occupied 2624 non Covid and 119 unoccupied. so 14+118= is 132 in hosp with Covid. I stand to be corrected but thats just lifted straight from the dashboard. ive said it before and il say it again, its not the publics job to 'protect the NHS' its the government's job to properly fund the NHS and give it the resources required to function. the Covid numbers are not what has the NHS 'cracking here'

The problem is that there is no quick way to expand health capacity, this is something done over decades. If the public has elected a government that has not provided that capacity then it must live within it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Quote from: sid waddell on March 21, 2021, 06:03:11 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 19, 2021, 02:20:34 PM
I can see an anti lockdown protest being hijacked by an anti irish seaborder element and what other eejits feel the need to get involved. They are happening regularly enough down South - it's probably only a matter of time before one comes our way.
How could an anti-lockdown demo be "hijacked" by eejits when such demos are by definition eejitry?
So anyone that has had enough of lockdown is an eejit now? Good man.

Milltown Row2

Unfortunately we are dealing with years of underfunding, but that's not going to get us out if the hole now, unless we reducing hospital admissions then we are snookered. At the minute the government are using a sticking plaster (the vaccine) to halt the slide. Going forward though they will need to extensively fix the problems.

Be prepared for a rise in taxes, as there is no other way, other than private health care to fix the NHS
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

themac_23

Quote from: armaghniac on March 22, 2021, 11:40:55 AM

The problem is that there is no quick way to expand health capacity, this is something done over decades. If the public has elected a government that has not provided that capacity then it must live within it.

im not disputing that, but at the minute we are still in a state of lockdown incase cases surge and put the NHS under stress, im pointing out the stress on the NHS at this moment isn't down to Covid exclusively its been years of cuts and terrible mismanagement. I just dont see how, when looking at the figures and the direction we are going along with the data coming out of Isreal that we are at the stage we are it just seems crazy. again, not saying fire everything open but the vaccine really is being proven to be the silver bullet yet the govt are still looking a the numbers as if there is no vaccine at play, I find it really strange

sid waddell

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 22, 2021, 11:44:01 AM
I can see an anti lockdown protest being hijacked by an anti irish seaborder element and what other eejits feel the need to get involved. They are happening regularly enough down South - it's probably only a matter of time before one comes our way.
How could an anti-lockdown demo be "hijacked" by eejits when such demos are by definition eejitry?
It depends what you mean by "had enough", doesn't it

Being sick of the current situation, or frustrated by it, doesn't make you an eejit

Wishing it would end doesn't make you an eejit, I'd love it to end

I've yet to hear any actual proposal in any of these anti-lockdown demonstrations which isn't pure eejitry

My personal view is that these self styled "anti-lockdown" chancers are desperate for deaths to continue because they want to try and be relevant, they want to create major media profiles for themselves, mostly with the aim of making a cheap buck and/or spreading far right politics

Dolores Cahill, for instance, is happy to spout utter shite to a gullible audience like the Pied Piper of Hamlin, and then go back to the castle she owns and live it up

She's laughing at the people who listen to her

The anti-lockdown chancers hate ordinary people

JoG2

Huge difference between someone having enough of lockdowns and someone out protesting about lockdowns.

Armagh18

Quote from: JoG2 on March 22, 2021, 12:04:49 PM

Huge difference between someone having enough of lockdowns and someone out protesting about lockdowns.
I can't blame anyone who is protesting against these draconian lockdowns. The governments disgraceful handling of easing restrictions and abysmal vaccine rollout (in the free state) are fuelling the fire.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: JoG2 on March 22, 2021, 12:04:49 PM

Normally I would agree, but unfortunately this working from home / furlough seems to be having an effect on people's minds negatively.

I know normal minded people about a year ago now full on conspiracy theorists, they have obviously picked it up sitting at home bored or gotten so frustrated they believe it now.

Fella I would have considered straight down the middle, happy go lucky. Now he's off to these marches all over Ireland and it's being paid for by Her Majesty claiming a great reset and the like.

Taylor

Reports of Covid issues in Carrick on suir with two schools closed already this morning.

Could be another variant

trailer

Quote from: Taylor on March 22, 2021, 01:03:17 PM
Reports of Covid issues in Carrick on suir with two schools closed already this morning.

Could be another variant

Are you saying it could be or are the health authorities saying that it could be another variant?

Maroon Manc

Daily hospital admissions in England below where they were when we came out of the 1st lockdown according to the world of twitter although I could only find statistics going back to August.