Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

Would have loved a Galway win today. Horrible feeling of an inevitable outcome in the final no matter who gets through. I do think we'd be closer than last year and monaghan would also be closer than their showing against Dublin last year but enough to beat them in croker is a stretch.

Still would love another final. Harte has a superb record in all finals especially the AI so feck it let's try to get through tomorrow and look forward to the final regardless. Praying for an ulster win either way.

snoopdog

Tomorrow looking light a battle for seats on the Titanic.

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 11, 2018, 02:57:16 PM
Quote from: Schkite on August 11, 2018, 02:32:27 PM

::) I've already been commenting in this thread, I was simply passing comment on the amount of Tyrone lads here. What do you want me to do, go on a GAA board recruitment drive around the county?

Why so precious so? Will you be railing against the rain next, and blaming us?

We are, in general, so excited, about the game tomorrow. In fact, we just cannot wait, and we just can't help ourselves but to spread that benevolent incandescence!  ;D
Like  "...hysterical young girls at a wedding"?

straightred

Quote from: snoopdog on August 11, 2018, 07:29:42 PM

just in from the dublin galway game. Predictable outcome but the small crowd and sh*te atmosphere has to be concerning. Its not that long ago since the dubs would sell out a semi final and it was a great day out. I'm going back in tomorrow and I expect an electric atmosphere

Main Street

One of my personal favourites from the 1988 ulster final, Michael O'Dowd a quiet gentle lad from Tullycorbert, deals effectively with the swarm and to cap it all decks one of the Tyronies with a lightening fast reflex uppercut,   the ref just plays on with a throw ball ;D

https://youtu.be/a0iR1mIRm-Q?t=1244

skeog

Main Street

There's a good read on Ryan McAnespie in today's Examiner.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/life-in-a-border-town-for-tyrone-man-ryan-mcanespie-861486.html
Monaghan heart with a bit of Tyrone blood (he could have been a runner for Mickey Harte), it documents some of  his childhood experience, much about his uncle Aidan who was murdered by a british soldier, his all star mother and sister  -  stalwarts of the Monaghan ladies.

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on August 11, 2018, 10:22:41 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/life-in-a-border-town-for-tyrone-man-ryan-mcanespie-861486.html
Monaghan heart with a bit of Tyrone blood (he could have been a runner for Mickey Harte), it documents some of  his childhood experience, much about his uncle Aidan who was murdered by a british soldier, his all star mother and sister  -  stalwarts of the Monaghan ladies.

Yep great piece

Aaron Boone

Quote from: snoopdog on August 11, 2018, 07:29:42 PM
Fair comment. Only shining lights are Dubs just about win in finals and there's a 3-week-break for the analysts to find the nugget.

Jayop

Interesting tweet from Michael Donnelly there. Says this is the biggest Ulster clash since 2005. My first reaction was, no every ulster final since then is bigger than the game tomorrow because there's an actual prize whereas tomorrow the winner gets the chance of a prize. But then again we get so few chances in all Ireland finals maybe he's right and an all ulster semi final is bigger than an Ulster final.

armaghniac

Quote from: Jayop on August 12, 2018, 01:52:39 AM
Interesting tweet from Michael Donnelly there. Says this is the biggest Ulster clash since 2005. My first reaction was, no every ulster final since then is bigger than the game tomorrow because there's an actual prize whereas tomorrow the winner gets the chance of a prize. But then again we get so few chances in all Ireland finals maybe he's right and an all ulster semi final is bigger than an Ulster final.

Let's hope the best team wins, unlike 2005.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jayop

Quote from: armaghniac on August 12, 2018, 02:21:04 AM
Quote from: Jayop on August 12, 2018, 01:52:39 AM

Let's hope the best team wins, unlike 2005.

Were talking among adults here about the big prize. The wrong team who won ulster that year, I'll give you that.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Main Street on August 11, 2018, 08:17:36 PM
One of my personal favourites from the 1988 ulster final, Michael O'Dowd a quiet gentle lad from Tullycorbert, deals effectively with the swarm and to cap it all decks one of the Tyronies with a lightening fast reflex uppercut,   the ref just plays on with a throw ball ;D

https://youtu.be/a0iR1mIRm-Q?t=1244

What would we do for a Stephen Conway tomorrow, did he ever miss a free?

omagh_gael

Quote from: Main Street on August 11, 2018, 10:22:41 PM

Excellent article

Lamh Dhearg Alba

In truth the 2 point defeat really flattered Tyrone the first day. After a promising start from Tyrone, Monaghan got hold of the game and Tyrone looked pretty ragged. Late goal made it look better for Tyrone but 5 points would have been a fairer reflection of the game.

Been a strange old summer since then with some rather unconvincing Tyrone performances, and some huge scores (albeit against teams who aren't as physically strong as Tyrone and who to try and play a traditional style, the kind of teams this Tyrone system destroys). The last 20 minutes last week gave me hope, a tantalising glimpse of what is possible when Tyrone committ more to attack, and with the right attackers. Monaghan are a tougher challenge than Donegal, but if it's close with 20 mins or so left and the Tyrone cavalry to go in, there will be a chance.

Safe travels to all.