Tips wanted for running a U6s Gaelic Football session

Started by thebackbar1, April 16, 2023, 11:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

Ween of laps, [c. 15] for a warmup, pullin a lorry tyre preferably.

Then a bokin session of sprints before fullblooded game, with quarter neither asked nor given.

No pints after tho!!

They're only kids!

screenexile

Quote from: thebackbar1 on April 17, 2023, 12:47:38 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 16, 2023, 10:19:18 PM
Quote from: thebackbar1 on April 16, 2023, 08:53:23 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied !

I presume then you wouldn't try a game at the end of the session ? normally the game is something closer to rugby/american football

You could try the bubble thing after a month or so but if you just let them at it then 10 lads just crowd around the ball carrier.

sorry but how to you play bubble ball ?

also would you give a heads up to parents on new games you plan to play at the session ? ie so they could show their kid a video of the game before they arrive ?

It's basically no tackling and giving the lads space (a bubble around them) when they receive the ball rather than 10 other lads jumping in to try and tackle them.

It's very slow and laborious and you have to keep lads in their positions as best you can but it gives them a bit of experience of what a game would look like and confidence around trying things without the scrum you usually get.

Itchy

Quote from: thebackbar1 on April 17, 2023, 12:47:38 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 16, 2023, 10:19:18 PM
Quote from: thebackbar1 on April 16, 2023, 08:53:23 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied !

I presume then you wouldn't try a game at the end of the session ? normally the game is something closer to rugby/american football

You could try the bubble thing after a month or so but if you just let them at it then 10 lads just crowd around the ball carrier.

sorry but how to you play bubble ball ?

also would you give a heads up to parents on new games you plan to play at the session ? ie so they could show their kid a video of the game before they arrive ?

Eh No. Its your coaches you should be sharing the video with so they know what they are doing.

seafoid

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 17, 2023, 12:58:25 PM
Ween of laps, [c. 15] for a warmup, pullin a lorry tyre preferably.

Then a bokin session of sprints before fullblooded game, with quarter neither asked nor given.

No pints after tho!!

They're only kids!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCuMgb2ibwY

onefineday

Quote from: blanketattack on April 16, 2023, 06:58:32 PM
May as well get them ready for the future - just practice hand passing it around for 2 minutes, before the guy with the best kick attempt a score
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

omagh_gael

My number 1 tip would be to be invest in a half decent bluetooth speaker. Kids love music and you can get so much exercise and movement created simply by playing music and getting them to star jump, hop, run fast/slow and pause when music stops.

I focus on simple things like moving round the space and bounce ball 10 times, throw then catch the ball in the basket. Kids love it when you introduce adults who'll then try to knock the ball out of the basket, gets them to focus and finding space and improving their peripheral vision by avoiding collisions.

Interesting reading the debate around whether 6.5s should play games at the end of the session. I've looked after the age bracket for 6+ years and if you ask kids the one thing they want to do its games. Still think there's room for very small sided, fun-focused games.

thebackbar1

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 18, 2023, 02:19:46 PM
My number 1 tip would be to be invest in a half decent bluetooth speaker. Kids love music and you can get so much exercise and movement created simply by playing music and getting them to star jump, hop, run fast/slow and pause when music stops.

I focus on simple things like moving round the space and bounce ball 10 times, throw then catch the ball in the basket. Kids love it when you introduce adults who'll then try to knock the ball out of the basket, gets them to focus and finding space and improving their peripheral vision by avoiding collisions.

Interesting reading the debate around whether 6.5s should play games at the end of the session. I've looked after the age bracket for 6+ years and if you ask kids the one thing they want to do its games. Still think there's room for very small sided, fun-focused games.
thanks for the feedback, regarding the game at the end what format do you use ?

Itchy

Totally disagree with that. Its almost certain you will have kids that do not come from "football" houses and your training is their 1st introduction to a ball. Then you will have ones that are well ahead. Introducing games where you are scoring and winning/losing will increase your risk of alienating those "weaker" kids and will effect you in the long run. I have seen it happen time and time again. Typically the clubs that do what you are saying a very large and dont really care if they lose a few. My club we need every child available  to us.

themac_23

Quote from: Itchy on April 19, 2023, 09:58:11 AM

Totally disagree with that. Its almost certain you will have kids that do not come from "football" houses and your training is their 1st introduction to a ball. Then you will have ones that are well ahead. Introducing games where you are scoring and winning/losing will increase your risk of alienating those "weaker" kids and will effect you in the long run. I have seen it happen time and time again. Typically the clubs that do what you are saying a very large and dont really care if they lose a few. My club we need every child available  to us.

My wee boy just turned 6 last month, his coaches are first class. up unti they started back it was all focused on getting hands on the Ball and games that weren't actually related to football or hurling, like trying to knock down cones on the other teams side etc. it seems now they are starting to do actual games, and they've started going to play other teams (no scores or anything kept and no real regard for rules0 jus to get them moving the ball etc.

ive found my son wasn't overly keen on it until they got a taste for actual games and now its all he talks about and constantly wanting to go out into the garden to practice. I think his coaches have done it really well how they built it up to actually planning games with some kinda structure.

Itchy

Quote from: themac_23 on April 19, 2023, 10:36:27 AM

My wee boy just turned 6 last month, his coaches are first class. up unti they started back it was all focused on getting hands on the Ball and games that weren't actually related to football or hurling, like trying to knock down cones on the other teams side etc. it seems now they are starting to do actual games, and they've started going to play other teams (no scores or anything kept and no real regard for rules0 jus to get them moving the ball etc.

ive found my son wasn't overly keen on it until they got a taste for actual games and now its all he talks about and constantly wanting to go out into the garden to practice. I think his coaches have done it really well how they built it up to actually planning games with some kinda structure.

Did your child ever see or touch or play with a ball before going to training? I assume so, as you his parent are posting on a GAA forum. Imagine the child who parents dont even own a ball. Your child might excel in this scenario but what about the others? U6s going playing games against other teams is ridiculous by the way.

themac_23

Quote from: Itchy on April 19, 2023, 10:41:41 AM

Did your child ever see or touch or play with a ball before going to training? I assume so, as you his parent are posting on a GAA forum. Imagine the child who parents dont even own a ball. Your child might excel in this scenario but what about the others? U6s going playing games against other teams is ridiculous by the way.

Yeah he had but what im saying is he had no real interest, I think he's under 6.5 if thats how the ages work now or possibly u7. but how his club went about it was very good, all about fun and getting their hands on the ball. as I say wee games trying to throw the ball and knock cones down etc to get a feel for the ball and just get it moving.

The wee games they are playing now are just really kids running about and kicking the ball but he loves the whole thing of being against another team etc, the coaches for all the teams are brilliant just encouraging both teams and letting the kids get a feel for it. its usually 5 or 6 a side and each club brings as many players as they have and break up into small games. every kid gets loads of time on the ball they all take turns in goals and seem to really enjoy it. as I say to get my wee boy to go to football used to be a real struggle but now he relishes going during the week and on a sat.

Armagh18

Quote from: themac_23 on April 19, 2023, 10:51:59 AM
Quote from: Itchy on April 19, 2023, 10:41:41 AM

Yeah he had but what im saying is he had no real interest, I think he's under 6.5 if thats how the ages work now or possibly u7. but how his club went about it was very good, all about fun and getting their hands on the ball. as I say wee games trying to throw the ball and knock cones down etc to get a feel for the ball and just get it moving.

The wee games they are playing now are just really kids running about and kicking the ball but he loves the whole thing of being against another team etc, the coaches for all the teams are brilliant just encouraging both teams and letting the kids get a feel for it. its usually 5 or 6 a side and each club brings as many players as they have and break up into small games. every kid gets loads of time on the ball they all take turns in goals and seem to really enjoy it. as I say to get my wee boy to go to football used to be a real struggle but now he relishes going during the week and on a sat.
[/b] Thats the main thing and great to read that! Think there is a balance to be found because the kids who are that bit a head will soon get bored if they can't be competitive against each other, they naturally want to beat their friend at whatever it'll be, obviously if theres too much time spent playing games the lad who has never seen a football will soon get bored and lose interest if everyone else is ahead of him.

Obviously you want to keep both types involved and enjoying it as much as possible, as long term the lad who is more interested at picking daisies or chasing butterflies at 5 or 6 could be a brilliant player by the time they get to 16 or 26!

Another thing to remember is that you only have the kids for an hour or whatever it is a week, so a massive thing is getting the parents involved, if possible make sure every child has some sort of ball to take home with them and are practicing kicking about with the parent/siblings in the garden in the evenings

blanketattack

My advice is make the drills involve footballs. The link to gaelic football can be tenuos.
I've seen sessions where the whole session was just playground games. Quite a few parents and kids come away thinking 'What's the point? This is no different to what they got up to at lunchtime or with their friends'.

You want a fun and a social element, but also looking to learn and improve gaelic football skills.
A lot of playground games can be adapted e.g. Flush The Toilet- the player is freed by throwing or kicking the ball between their legs.
Bulldog - they run with a ball in their hand, or the players wait at the side and throw balls across. Not suitable for astro or rock hard ground but no harm in 6 year olds learning to fall on grass and get up quickly.

Other drills like mentioned above throwing the ball at cones.

A good one that's very adaptable is set up say 10 gates (gate = 2 cones a metre apart).
Then they pair up and have to do the same activity through 8 of the gates
E.g. Iteration 1: both of them throw the ball to each other thro' gate with right hand
Iteration 2: ditto with left hand
Iteratio 3: hop the ball as you run through the gate.
Further down the line handpass the ball or solo through gate.

Make drills competitive - set up different relay teams that have to run zigzag through 5 cones, a metre apart and then throw the ball to the next person in the relay. (Advances later on to hopping ball)

A big bugbear of mine is having huge queues for drills.
3 is the ideal number for any queue (4 tops). With 3, one player is active, one is just back and one is ready to start. If your players are messing or doing cartwheels your queue is too long.
Have regularly seen 10 players in a queue, which means 90% of the drill is spent waiting around- terrible efficiency.

Preparation is key, if the pitch is vacant beforehand, go early to set up drills.
If not, while one coach does warm-up, other coaches are setting up cones.
Bugbear 2: kids waiting around while coaches set up drills because some coaches spent ages chatting at the start instead of doing it then.
Could have 3-4 drill stations, split the group in 3-4 and rotate between stations every 10-12 min and then a match at the end. Matches should be 5 a side tops at that age. (Other bugbear is coaches just having one massive game at the end where some players will be lucky to get 2 touches, instead smaller group matches with lots of touches)

marty34

Fundamentals are all about the basics and having fun.

E.g. cups and saucers is a game obviously and is great fun but on a secondary level it's about a kid getting ready to squat.  The same type of movement.

All these wee games have a purpose...behind the fun and craic but the kids and parents just think it's fun.

Itchy

Quote from: marty34 on April 19, 2023, 12:24:34 PM
Fundamentals are all about the basics and having fun.

E.g. cups and saucers is a game obviously and is great fun but on a secondary level it's about a kid getting ready to squat.  The same type of movement.

All these wee games have a purpose...behind the fun and craic but the kids and parents just think it's fun.

Exactly. Hand eye coordination, using both sides etc.

To your man above playing a 5 a side with 4/5 year olds, good luck with that.