Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: Nanderson on January 19, 2019, 09:13:55 PM
I'm wild confused about some of the rules that were on show in the mckenna cup. Frees blown for catching the ball between the 40 and 21 when its meant to be inside the 21. Also, James Morgan got 2 yellows which should have been a sin bin but instead was shown a red card??

Them rules were amended.

trailer

Quote from: joemamas on January 19, 2019, 08:00:49 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 19, 2019, 05:17:43 PM
GAA will never get a meaningful change in the way it panders to vested interests. Football as a spectacle will continue to die a slow ugly death.

Biggest winners of handpass defeat;

Teams that play and teach negative Gaelic football, I.e don't kick the ball
Managers like Declan Bonner etc, who could not even try it out for more than a few BS games
Tha FAI
The IRFU
Anyone who dislikes Gaelic Football

Biggest losers;

Supporters,

Retarded supporters, with learning difficulties.

Anyone who supported the hand pass rule was the enemy of Gaelic football, the GAA and Ireland in general.

mrdeeds

Quote from: trailer on January 19, 2019, 10:02:54 PM
GAA will never get a meaningful change in the way it panders to vested interests. Football as a spectacle will continue to die a slow ugly death.

Managers like Declan Bonner etc, who could not even try it out for more than a few BS games
Tha FAI
The IRFU

Biggest losers;

Supporters,

Anyone who supported the hand pass rule was the enemy of Gaelic football, the GAA and Ireland in general.

Agree with the sentiment but not the description of them.

Give and Go

Quote from: Rossfan on January 19, 2019, 08:23:15 PM
I spoke to about 20 people who were at Ros v Sligo and nobody not one of them said the handpass rule should be binned.
Are you serious? Saw a number of plays pulled up early on less than 4 hand passes, saw a pull down which should be a black card not given. Lots of people around me wanted it gone

Itchy

Quote from: trailer on January 19, 2019, 10:02:54 PM

Tha FAI
The IRFU

Biggest losers;

Supporters,

Your not a very nice person lad. Take a look at yourself in the mirror. Do you speak like that in the real world or is it just your online persona

Rossfan

Quote from: Give and Go on January 19, 2019, 11:31:36 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 19, 2019, 08:23:15 PM
I spoke to about 20 people who were at Ros v Sligo and nobody not one of them said the handpass rule should be binned.
Are you serious? Saw a number of plays pulled up early on less than 4 hand passes, saw a pull down which should be a black card not given. Lots of people around me wanted it gone
I can only speak for those I had contact with :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyHarp

Pandering is how these rules came into being in the first place. It appears to be the GAAs preffered  method of policy / rule making these days. At least in this instance they are pandering to players, managers and the vast percentage of supporters and not a select few in the media.
That was never a square ball!!

Rossfan

How many of he "vast percentage of supporters" actually saw any of the trial rules games?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rossfan on January 20, 2019, 09:29:36 AM
How many of he "vast percentage of supporters" actually saw any of the trial rules games?

Probably more than the 20 you spoke to.
That was never a square ball!!

Itchy

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 20, 2019, 09:19:33 AM

Pandering is how these rules came into being in the first place. It appears to be the GAAs preffered  method of policy / rule making these days. At least in this instance they are pandering to players, managers and the vast percentage of supporters and not a select few in the media.

See that's just untrue. A committee was set up and they came up with these ideas and sought feed back on them and ran a few trial games. The committee had fotball people and sports scientists on it. It was not a bunch of croke park suits. Did you listen to Cuthbert on offtheball,  if not you should. You are just repeating the county manager rubbish and passing it off as fact when it's not.

Sportacus

Watching Armagh last night confirms for me the 13 man game needs a proper look at.  Armagh have traditional forwards who I would pay to see: Jamie Clarke, Rian O'Neill, John Campbell.  But they haven't an inch to work in, so we don't see the best of them.  Tyrone have been in the gym big time and the modern defensive unit can close down space too easily.  Bring back the excitement,give forwards the edge - 13 aside please, and don't chicken out of a trial after 5 minutes like we did with the handpass rule.

DuffleKing

We have packed defences because forwards have been given every edge going for 20 years. There is no application of the steps rule under pressure and you are simply not allowed to tackle at speed - as you are in Hurling for example.

Biggest cheer of the night in the AG last night was pre throw in for the announcement that the handpass restriction abomination wasn't to be used in the match.

As an ardent believer in the place of and importance to our game of kicking I am at this stage embarrassed for those who thought that restricting the number of handpasses in this way was going to make a positive impact.

The game needs help if some of the traditional values are to return to the fore but anyone who thought this trial - however well intentioned - was going to help are simpletons.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 20, 2019, 06:38:33 PM
We have packed defences because forwards have been given every edge going for 20 years. There is no application of the steps rule under pressure and you are simply not allowed to tackle at speed - as you are in Hurling for example.

Biggest cheer of the night in the AG last night was pre throw in for the announcement that the handpass restriction abomination wasn't to be used in the match.

As an ardent believer in the place of and importance to our game of kicking I am at this stage embarrassed for those who thought that restricting the number of handpasses in this way was going to make a positive impact.

The game needs help if some of the traditional values are to return to the fore but anyone who thought this trial - however well intentioned - was going to help are simpletons.
this
its impossible to defend as forwards are allowed now take 3/4 steps while just bouncing the ball!!

westbound

Having seen the sin-bin in operation in the Galway V Ros match yesterday, on a practical level, how will club referees manage?

yesterday the first galway black card was after 20 minutes. So you'd expect him back on at 30 minutes. Except in the next few minutes there was a couple of injuries and a 'melee' which all added time. So It was after 30 minutes before sin bin no.1 was over.

In addition, there was a second sin binning for galway after about 32 minutes (galway were down to 13 for a period). But with all the injury time played at the end of the first half, most of the second sin binning period was actually in the first half (even though he was sin binned about 3 minutes before the 35 minutes were due to be up!).

It's going to be very hard for the refs in club matches (where it's hard enough to get an upmire, let alone a linesman as well!) to deal with all this.
I've no problem with the sin bin in theory (and in intercounty matches where there are plenty of officials), but how well will it work in the club game?

Tubberman

Quote from: westbound on January 21, 2019, 02:03:04 PM
Having seen the sin-bin in operation in the Galway V Ros match yesterday, on a practical level, how will club referees manage?

yesterday the first galway black card was after 20 minutes. So you'd expect him back on at 30 minutes. Except in the next few minutes there was a couple of injuries and a 'melee' which all added time. So It was after 30 minutes before sin bin no.1 was over.

In addition, there was a second sin binning for galway after about 32 minutes (galway were down to 13 for a period). But with all the injury time played at the end of the first half, most of the second sin binning period was actually in the first half (even though he was sin binned about 3 minutes before the 35 minutes were due to be up!).

It's going to be very hard for the refs in club matches (where it's hard enough to get an upmire, let alone a linesman as well!) to deal with all this.
I've no problem with the sin bin in theory (and in intercounty matches where there are plenty of officials), but how well will it work in the club game?

I read somewhere yesterday that unlike rugby, the sin bin clock doesn't stop when the ball is out of play.
So in theory, if a player got a black card and another player was injured at the time and there was a break in play for 10 mins, the black carded player would be back on the field for the resumption of play, not having missed anything!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."