American uses of English that get on my nerves

Started by Eamonnca1, June 22, 2020, 11:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jeepers Creepers

I have no clue.

Quarter of 12 (when telling the time)

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2020, 11:01:29 AM
Happy Holidays.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that one. Xmas is not the only major holiday celebrated in the US at that time of year.

johnnycool

chips and fries.

Confused the f**k out of me as a greenhorn in NYC back in the 90's before our TV's were totally awash with US "culture"..

Rossfan

Every time they open their feckin mouths.
But my main one is saying "Monday thru (sic) Friday" instead if Monday to Friday.
"Gotten" is my no 2.
Sadly many people here use those and other Americanisms nowadays.
Especially local radio presenters .. ".ceremoanies" "categoary" and worst of all "Here is the Noos"
Grrrrrrrr!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Taylor

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on June 23, 2020, 11:02:51 AM
Happy Holidays.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that one. Xmas is not the only major holiday celebrated in the US at that time of year.

Gone native, have we?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2020, 12:33:06 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 23, 2020, 11:02:51 AM
Happy Holidays.

Gone native, have we?

No.

Just aware that I live in an extremely multicultural and religiously diverse place and it is good manners to be inclusive and not assume that the person you are talking to comes from a christian background and celebrates xmas.

That said, I'll always say happy xmas to friends and relatives who I know celebrate it.

BennyCake

Quote from: johnnycool on June 23, 2020, 11:26:07 AM
chips and fries.

Confused the f**k out of me as a greenhorn in NYC back in the 90's before our TV's were totally awash with US "culture"..

That one does my head in. It's f**king chips! I'd be swinging for anyone saying fries. God, I wouldn't be letting them on the bus if they said fries!! They can get a taxi.

J70

Quote from: BennyCake on June 23, 2020, 12:54:56 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 23, 2020, 11:26:07 AM
chips and fries.

That one does my head in. It's f**king chips! I'd be swinging for anyone saying fries. God, I wouldn't be letting them on the bus if they said fries!! They can get a taxi.

Problem in the US is that what we call "crisps" are called "chips" there.

If you want to be understood, you have to go along with it.