The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

This Wales France game is great

Nanderson

Should that not have been a double movement for last Welsh try?

nrico2006

Residency etc. shouldn't be allowed in rugby. Although not perfect, something similar to footballs qualification rules should be applied.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

weareros

Strong finish by the French. They have that bit of class that makes rugby fun to watch.

Milltown Row2

Did you support Big Jack during those glory years for the Irish team (well not entirely Irish)

International teams in all sports are using outsiders, providing its within the rules then that's ok.

These players come to Ireland and play for Irish clubs, have or start families, their kids go to Irish schools and they put down roots here, in Ireland.

They play with pride and put as much effort into it than paddy Joe from Offaly.

What him (Lowe) being one of Irelands better players has got to do with your point I've no idea. Sexton was Irelands better player for nearly a decade. O'Driscoll the decade before that and so on.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: gallsman on March 10, 2024, 01:35:28 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 10, 2024, 10:33:44 AMPlenty of good old Irish begrudgery and shoulder chippery on display. Never change lads!

When directed at rugby, it usually comes from Celtic fans or GAA people from that occupied six. They don't like rugby because at the elite level it's played by posh boys and prods.

Or maybe they don't like it because it's a boring sport that comes with so much media nonsense??

Wildweasel74

Boring,? U watch much soccer?

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 10, 2024, 01:25:49 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on March 10, 2024, 01:04:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2024, 11:12:43 AMSome dung on here! First off, why would the begrudgers even watch a game that they have contempt for in the first place!

And secondly, England were head and shoulders the better team

Ireland got a few things wrong yesterday but could have come away with a win by playing no where near as good as they have been.

Scotland will undoubtedly be well up for the match regardless of the championship, getting bate by Italy will have left a real bad taste in the mouth, be interesting to see how they recover from that defeat.

Winning the championship is all that matters, the grand slam is a bonus

And hopefully Lowry doesn't shit the nest at the Arnold Palmer Invitational  ;)

Who is begrudger?
I watch it because I'm patriotic and want to see my team win.
Same way as I want to see The Irish win at  Cheltenham , McIlroy or Lowry win, Conlon or frampton win.
However that doesn't mean I can't explore reasons for defeat, or constructively criticise.
I've complimented IRFU on how they've made the most of flawed rules, and how they've got their PR right.
Rather than counter my posts by calling them dung , can you actually try and explain how NZers such as Lowe, and private schoolers , can be as hungry for Irish success as others .  Though this may be uncomfortable for some to admit , it's not begrudgery, it's honesty .

I think a major turn-off for me was Lowe's interview after beating NZ in Dublin a few years ago, when he basically was in awe of his home country ( and fair play to him) , and playing for us was second best . Despite all this , he's one of our better players?? International affinity should not be diluted in any sport in my opinion. People on here might not like that, and call it dung but if they actually reflect it's a very fair point .
Agreed.

I'm assuming you boys tut tutted your way through Italia 90 and USA 94 etc (age depending of course)

trailer

Conor Murray kicked the ball away. Why? O'Mahoney lost his discipline and took a cheap yellow. Crowley isn't a great kicker.  Two huge moments that cost Ireland. Interesting to see how it's reported in the Munster v Leinster media.

tonto1888

Quote from: 6th sam on March 10, 2024, 06:24:57 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2024, 04:37:57 PMDid you support Big Jack during those glory years for the Irish team (well not entirely Irish)

International teams in all sports are using outsiders, providing its within the rules then that's ok.

These players come to Ireland and play for Irish clubs, have or start families, their kids go to Irish schools and they put down roots here, in Ireland.

What him being one of Irelands better players has got to do with your point I've no idea. Sexton was Irelands better player for nearly a decade. O'Driscoll the decade before that and so on.

Since u asked. With the exception of carcarino's alleged dodgy Irish connection, all Jack's team were Irish. Ray Houghton is amongst many Glaswegians with a strong sense of irishness because many of their ancestors had to go from Donegal to Scotland or starve . Kevin kilbane and mick McCarthy are examples of people born in the North of England who consider themselves Irish. Kilbane though he has a Yorkshire accent, famously rejected the chance to play for England

Irish Rugby exiled Simon Zebo because he wanted to go to France , yet availed of james Lowe , a clearly proud NZer, with no Irish connection , to effectively take Zebo's place.

I question the authenticity of that , and I'm a celtic supporting , GAA begrudger talking dung . 😂😂😂 .
Gallsman ( presumably a GAA himself) inexplicably drags in sectarianism, when one of my main complaints is that lads at state schools in the north are being deprived of opportunities for Ulster and ireland due to elite rugby tourism .
I'll admit, as I've experience of it, that I've no time for the nonsense around the privileged private school culture in Leinster .

Ultimately the IRFU much like jack Charlton , gathered the best possible team together within the rules. Jack Charlton tapped into the diaspora which in my view is more authentically Irish than Rugby tourism. Soccer is clearly the most popular Sport in the world . Rugby isn't even in the top 3 sports in Ireland . Do I like the fact that rugby is given an elevated status by the Dublin media , No. Do I like that Ulster is poorly represented in the Irish team , No. Do I like the deliberate targetting of concussion vulnerable players, No. Do I like the privileged culture of private education , No. Do I think proud NZers should represent Ireland ahead of an Irishman , No. do I support ireland , yes.

I'd like those that call that begrudgery to explain how they feel about the points above .

Posters on here regularly complain about boring play in Gaelic football, about  Dublin GAA's privileged position , or about Shane Walsh's transfer to kilmacud, or about Irish Soccer's woes , but we dare to criticise the sacred cow/darling of the media , that is Rugby , and we're talking dung. I find that hilarious tbh

Excellent post

LC

Quote from: 6th sam on March 10, 2024, 09:32:16 AMWhilst on one level, I admire how the IRFU have embraced the professional game , let's consider these facts. Our 3 best players weren't good enough to play for NZ . Even rugby aficionados would say the game is boring and difficult to watch, the enjoyment is in having a few beers and cheering on the green jersey. It's a highly dangerous and often cynical game cf targeting Sexton's head.
It's incredibly over hyped in Ireland by Dublin (rugby schooled)media . Overseas  players with no apparent Irish connection are coming here as a career move and are taking jerseys from potential home grown talent .
We are brilliant at winning stand alone "test matches " many of dubious significance, but when it comes down to the "clutch" in the really big games eg WC or England in Twickers, we fall short. Could this be because most of our players are either overseas mercenaries ( I accept that appears harsh on great characters who have contributed enormously) or private school privileged?

Fair play to the IRFU for making the most of the rules to get a strong team on the field, and hyping us as "the best team in the world" but Rugby clubs are struggling and Irish players aren't developing . It may seem great to be appearing to be at the top table , but in reality we're really only there because we're playing ringers, and we're still only getting the crumbs . Harsh maybe but that's reality.

+1

Fair play to Pat Spillane post last years World Cup calling bullsh@t on Johnny Sextons retirement statement (no doubt prepared by some PR Agency). We lost but we won, what a load of tosh.

Could you imagine a manager of even a Junior B team standing up at the club convention saying guys don't worry I know we got knocked out at the semi-final championship but deep down I believe we won.

He would be laughed out of the room and rightfully so.

JoG2

For the life of me I can't understand why people get heated because certain journalists talk up a certain team / sportsperson. And then almost want the team / sportsperson to fail to, well rub it up the journalist/s..? Switch off and don't read the articles

Hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2024, 04:37:57 PMDid you support Big Jack during those glory years for the Irish team (well not entirely Irish)

What him being one of Irelands better players has got to do with your point I've no idea. Sexton was Irelands better player for nearly a decade. O'Driscoll the decade before that and so on.

Since u asked. With the exception of carcarino's alleged dodgy Irish connection, all Jack's team were Irish. Ray Houghton is amongst many Glaswegians with a strong sense of irishness because many of their ancestors had to go from Donegal to Scotland or starve . Kevin kilbane and mick McCarthy are examples of people born in the North of England who consider themselves Irish. Kilbane though he has a Yorkshire accent, famously rejected the chance to play for England

Irish Rugby exiled Simon Zebo because he wanted to go to France , yet availed of james Lowe , a clearly proud NZer, with no Irish connection , to effectively take Zebo's place.

I question the authenticity of that , and I'm a celtic supporting , GAA begrudger talking dung . 😂😂😂 .
Gallsman ( presumably a GAA himself) inexplicably drags in sectarianism, when one of my main complaints is that lads at state schools in the north are being deprived of opportunities for Ulster and ireland due to elite rugby tourism .
I'll admit, as I've experience of it, that I've no time for the nonsense around the privileged private school culture in Leinster .

Ultimately the IRFU much like jack Charlton , gathered the best possible team together within the rules. Jack Charlton tapped into the diaspora which in my view is more authentically Irish than Rugby tourism. Soccer is clearly the most popular Sport in the world . Rugby isn't even in the top 3 sports in Ireland . Do I like the fact that rugby is given an elevated status by the Dublin media , No. Do I like that Ulster is poorly represented in the Irish team , No. Do I like the deliberate targetting of concussion vulnerable players, No. Do I like the privileged culture of private education , No. Do I think proud NZers should represent Ireland ahead of an Irishman , No. do I support ireland , yes.

I'd like those that call that begrudgery to explain how they feel about the points above .

Posters on here regularly complain about boring play in Gaelic football, about  Dublin GAA's privileged position , or about Shane Walsh's transfer to kilmacud, or about Irish Soccer's woes , but we dare to criticise the sacred cow/darling of the media , that is Rugby , and we're talking dung. I find that hilarious tbh
Kevin Kilbane is a complete spoofer,  but I agree he has always seen himself as Irish. But can you please elaborate on how he 'famously' turned down England? (Given he would never have been anywhere near a senior England team had he been truly English)

Andy Townsend and John Aldridge are two players who never let Ireland down, always gave 100%. But would undoubtedly have chosen England had we not nabbed them before they became top players in the top division.

nrico2006

Quote from: Hound on March 10, 2024, 08:18:01 PM

Kevin Kilbane is a complete spoofer,  but I agree he has always seen himself as Irish. But can you please elaborate on how he 'famously' turned down England? (Given he would never have been anywhere near a senior England team had he been truly English)

Andy Townsend and John Aldridge are two players who never let Ireland down, always gave 100%. But would undoubtedly have chosen England had we not nabbed them before they became top players in the top division.

I doubt any player born in England would pick Ireland over England.

Kilbane has always referenced turning England down at under-age, which is convenient as its never going to be something that can easily be proved/disproved.

What doesn't make sense is why he wasn't being picked for Ireland youth teams at the time. If he was getting called up for England, he surely would have been on the corresponding Ireland teams.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hound

Quote from: 6th sam on March 10, 2024, 08:18:42 PMBecause it's not a "certain team" ,it's my team, my country. I don't want to see them lose , and hit the roof when james Lowe scored the try to put us in front, but I'm not afraid to be honest about rugby's many deficiencies. RTE and the Dublin 4 media, hype rugby up disproportionately and without question. That isn't good for rugby and it's not good for Irish sport .
We didn't deliver in the WC again. We had a chance to partly rectify that with back to back grand slams but couldn't deliver against the "auld enemy " when it counted.
Its a cliché but sport is a "game of inches". And when u have to find those inches you need hungry warriors on the pitch . It's an indictment that the 3 hungriest looking Irish players yesterday were NZers. Unpalatable but a reasonable opinion?
We lost in the WC, because NZ were a small fraction better than us. Nobody with any intelligence could deny that the best 4 teams in that competition were SAF, NZ, France and Ireland. Even though only two of them got to the semis. We have failed at previous world cups, but we didn't underperform at this one. Played really well and lost to a team a little bit better on the day. Mistakes were made of course, as happens to every team in every game, but overall we performed.
Correlating it to completely different Ireland teams actually underperforming at prior world cups is an absolute nonsense.

No team has ever won back to back grand slams in Six Nations history. Not a single one. There have been very good England, France and Wales teams who have won grand slams and were thought to be favourites to do 2 in a row. None have. Because it's hard. Two championships in a row will be impressive, but only if they do it. The Scots hate us and certainly won't lie down.