Leinster Championship 2020

Started by thejuice, November 01, 2020, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caprea

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 22, 2020, 11:53:31 AM

Dry your eyes, put you big boy pants on and work through it

Eh no, most of us will just follow other sports or concentrate on the club game.

Why bother trying to resuscitate a dead championship? Just let it die.

Milltown Row2

Defeatist attitude.. couldn't get on the school team so left to play checkers...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

I suppose an uncomfortable question would be - are the dubs seconds the 2nd strongest team in Ireland?

If that's even debatable then this problem isn't generational and isn't going to go away itself.
i usse an speelchekor

caprea

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 22, 2020, 12:08:37 PM
Defeatist attitude.. couldn't get on the school team so left to play checkers...

Yep, defeatist i agree. It's probably got something to do with all the defeats. Watching Elite Sport is about excitement, enjoyment and entertainment. The Leinster championship won't provide that anymore. Move on with a better plan.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 22, 2020, 12:16:21 PM
I suppose an uncomfortable question would be - are the dubs seconds the 2nd strongest team in Ireland?

If that's even debatable then this problem isn't generational and isn't going to go away itself.

Dublin need their best players available to them to beat the better teams. Judging Dublin's performance for the year on that game v Meath is silly. As is the poor form of the other teams in Leinster yes Dublin's seconds would be very competitive
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

What would dublins seconds 15 be?

BennyCake

Quote from: caprea on November 22, 2020, 12:18:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 22, 2020, 12:08:37 PM

Yep, defeatist i agree. It's probably got something to do with all the defeats. Watching Elite Sport is about excitement, enjoyment and entertainment. The Leinster championship won't provide that anymore. Move on with a better plan.

It's too late. The GAA would have to bankroll at least a dozen counties to make it in any way competitive (for the 2040 championship). That's not going to happen. The GAA has eaten itself.

The club game is the future. In a way that's not a bad thing.

J70

Certainly the second best team in Leinster.

We'll be sat here in ten years after Dublin's 20th Leinster on the trot, and after they've won nine out of ten All Irelands in the 2020s, still hearing from the "they can only put 15 on the field/its up to other counties to rise up to meet them" crowd that everything is just fine and we're a bunch of whining idiots.

caprea

You can't cure a population deficit with a bankroll.

J70

Quote from: hardstation on November 22, 2020, 11:12:53 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 21, 2020, 11:25:18 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 21, 2020, 09:15:41 PM
Donegal are fairly being talked up. What are we basing this on?

We are basing it on Kerry being out of the championship.

On Mayo being Mayo.

On Cork being a 3rd division team.

On Tipp and Cavan being still in the championship by default.

There is no one else to talk up!  :-\
I agree with that. Talk up the 2nd best team still left in the championship to make it sound more exciting. It doesn't matter if they are a fair bit behind Dublin.

And if you look closely you'll see that no one is actually saying Donegal would beat Dublin.

MIGHT get within five or six points, maybe.

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2020, 10:18:35 AM
Where would this Meath team Rank in Ireland? Would they be in the top 16? The top 10?

Top 10. Played in Div 1 this year and reached the last 8 of the championship last year.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Main Street

Quote from: hardstation on November 22, 2020, 11:12:53 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 21, 2020, 11:25:18 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 21, 2020, 09:15:41 PM
Donegal are fairly being talked up. What are we basing this on?

We are basing it on Kerry being out of the championship.

On Mayo being Mayo.

On Cork being a 3rd division team.

On Tipp and Cavan being still in the championship by default.

There is no one else to talk up!  :-\
I agree with that. Talk up the 2nd best team still left in the championship to make it sound more exciting. It doesn't matter if they are a fair bit behind Dublin.
Well, have a look at the last 5 All ireland finals, were the 2nd best teams that far behind in the final game?

Hound

Quote from: Eire90 on November 22, 2020, 11:21:35 AM
would Dublin beat an all ulster team.
Would this Dublin team easily beat the Tyrone team with Canavan, Stephen O'Neill, Dooher, McGuigan, Mulligan? That team had a great defence too.

I'm not putting down Tyrone because over the last 5-6 years they've been in and around the best team in Ulster, but they would hardly get within 5 or 6 points of that other Tyrone team. 

Leinster is boring. There's nobody putting it up to us.  Cakewalk. Part of it is certainly because this is the best Dublin team ever. But also part of it is because the current Meath and Kildare teams are nowhere near the best ever Meath and Kildare teams. Nowhere near.

Dublin have had some amazing matches with Mayo and Kerry over the last 5/6 years. Some of the greatest games there's ever been. I've no idea why Meath and Kildare are not as good as Mayo and Kerry.

But it's not just in recent years that the rest of Leinster has been cack.  We were waltzing through Leinster under Pillar and Gilroy and then getting whipped when we faced our first real challenge by the likes of Tyrone and Kerry.

It's been a freak that Dublin won the 5 in a row. We've certainly haven't been the best team in every game. The double OG game was absolutely freak luck that saved us. Mayo weren't slightly the better team, they were comfortably the better team on the day. They also most probably had us beaten the year Donie Vaughan decided to even up the numbers by doing something rather silly. 
Last year Kerry were the better team in the final. David Moran must still be kicking himself that after being the best player on the pitch he made an horrendous mistake at the end that helped Dublin sneak the draw. An easy ball to Tommy Walsh in acres of space with only Cluxton near him. Instead he dawdled and allowed 2 tacklers to dispossess him. And the rest is history.

I doubt the whiners would be as loud if we'd won 2 or 3 of the last 5. Dublin 3 Mayo 1 Kerry 1 (or even Dublin 2 Mayo 2 Kerry 1!) would be a fairer reflection of the the last 5 years than the 5-0-0 scorecard that resulted.

sid waddell

People asked the same thing about Kilkenny in hurling 12 or 13 years ago

The answer to that was no, and they weren't even close to being so

The same is true of Dublin as well

Eire90

you still get plenty of die hards paying to go to games no matter what.