Armagh v Cavan (Sun - 02-06-19) Clones

Started by illdecide, May 27, 2019, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Solo_run

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 02, 2019, 08:30:58 PM
Donaghy's straight red for falling with both knees into a man lying down is classic McGeeney from his playing days. Players might be well conditioned but that's a potential spleen-rupturing act. Remember Ricey getting cited for it too.  Never like to see it.

When did McGeeney drop his knees into a player?

Tony Baloney

I think Armagh scored 2 points in the last 35-40 mins of that match. Pure pish.

Over the Bar

Angelo

Fairly disappointing game. I was expecting more from both sides. Cavan really need to unearth more shooters. They only seemed to have four or five players who were willing to take the shot on.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Cunny Funt

Great leadership by Cian Mackey to kick those 3 long range points, without him Cavan would surely have lost today.

tonto1888

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 02, 2019, 09:03:39 PM
Great leadership by Cian Mackey to kick those 3 long range points, without him Cavan would surely have lost today.

I knew as soon as he came in he would do that. I bloody don't like the guy. And I mean that as a compliment

Main Street

Neither team deserved to win, the overworked ref did well to blow early to ensure the replay.
The post match comments from the supporters perfectly summed up the game.
Would the suicide hot lines be a bit busier after a game like that?

Again, a very good show by BBCNI.

BennyCake

Ref gave Cavan a couple of handy ones early on, but did fairly well after that. Got most calls right.

Faulkner, wasn't a black card.
Donaghy, definite red.
Grimley lucky to get yellow.

We go again.

under the bar

Quote from: Main Street on June 02, 2019, 09:14:34 PM
Neither team deserved to win, the overworked ref did well to blow early to ensure the replay.
The post match comments from the supporters perfectly summed up the game.
Would the suicide hot lines be a bit busier after a game like that?

Again, a very good show by BBCNI.

Don't think we need to bring the tragedy that is suicide into it. You're better than that MS

marty34

Donaghy's straight red for falling with both knees into a man lying down is classic McGeeney from his playing days. Players might be well conditioned but that's a potential spleen-rupturing act. Remember Ricey getting cited for it too.  Never like to see it.

Yeah, it was adirty action.

Well spotted by the referee in fairness - need to cut that cowardly action from the GAA.

As an aside, if I was Mc Geeney, I'd be ripping with Donaghy for that - ildiscliplined.

thebuzz

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 02, 2019, 08:35:35 PM
Donaghy's straight red for falling with both knees into a man lying down is classic McGeeney from his playing days. Players might be well conditioned but that's a potential spleen-rupturing act.

Very poor from donaghy and a deserved red card. The part about McGeeneye is nonsense tho
From what I saw of McGeeney in his playing days was that he was tough and hard but always fair.

under the bar

Quote from: thebuzz on June 02, 2019, 09:48:59 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 02, 2019, 08:35:35 PM
Donaghy's straight red for falling with both knees into a man lying down is classic McGeeney from his playing days. Players might be well conditioned but that's a potential spleen-rupturing act.

Very poor from donaghy and a deserved red card. The part about McGeeneye is nonsense tho
From what I saw of McGeeney in his playing days was that he was tough and hard but always fair.

Agreed except I'd say hard and cynical dragging players to the ground in way would be black cards today.  Not a dirty player tho.

smelmoth

Haven't seen any tv footage yet. Had no idea why Donaghy was sent off but doesn't seem like it will be pretty viewing.

Some nice scores but game was poor on  quality. Mc veety was superb. Thought Hughes and Forker were very good for us.

We threw away a winning position again. Players in a position to hit a forward pass seemed to bottle it and take the sideways option. A sort of a boredom first policy.

But the key to the entire game was the Armagh strategy in Cavan kick outs. Look at the outcomes across the game on whether the opponent presses on your kick out. It's clear that dropping off is a failed strategy. Yet we persist. There was a bunch of Armagh fans in the Oswald Mosley stand throwing balls back on the pitch forcing the Cavan kick out to be retaken and they had time to to knock it along the ground to the same unmarked defender. Given all the time in the world and a man advantage we were simply never going to mark that man. This crazy tactic has to end. Cavan were there for the taking and we consciously decided to give them another chance. It's criminal

Hound

Watched the whole game there, and it was the most entertaining game on telly today.

As for the ref, the first Cavan black was a poor decision (yellow all day long), but overall I thought he gave Armagh a slightly hard time. I think maybe their reputation preceeds them in terms of their tackling and I thought Hall was called for overcarrying a couple of times very harshly, and I thought Morgan was defending brilliant against McVeety, hard but not dirty, and was unlucky to get the yellow card.

Burns was super for Armagh, but I was expecting a bit more from Clarke and O'Neill. McVeety really good for Cavan, and what a star Mackey is.

While sometimes the Dubs make it look very easy, playing keepball with a minute or 2 to go is really difficult and generally backfires.

Overall, the standard wasn't great. The Armagh team of the early 00s would have beaten either team today quite easily.  But still looking forward to the replay and very hard to call it. Both teams should have improvement in them and it might well help the winner to give a better account in the final