Armagh v Cavan (Sun - 02-06-19) Clones

Started by illdecide, May 27, 2019, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Some serious Groupthink going on among Armagh supporters here. McVeety is at fault for Morgan hitting him in the face. Cavan took out the Armagh player at the throw despite the fact that he ran into his own man and concussed himself. Grimley innocently went to draw the boot on a loose ball and had no idea there was a 6'6" man in bright blue going down to gather the ball.

Don't convince yourselves the score was different or you might miss the replay.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on June 03, 2019, 10:45:08 AM
Some serious Groupthink going on among Armagh supporters here. McVeety is at fault for Morgan hitting him in the face. Cavan took out the Armagh player at the throw despite the fact that he ran into his own man and concussed himself. Grimley innocently went to draw the boot on a loose ball and had no idea there was a 6'6" man in bright blue going down to gather the ball.

Aye, and they cant abide being called out for it either. I have no problem saying that Brady was a correct red, as was Moynaghs black. I have no problem being annoyed at Brady's poor discipline, I'd say Mickey is raging at him. But the constant persistent fouling by for example Shields on McVitty goes unpunished then when another player does one foul (ie mckiernan) and gets a yellow right away. Once Armagh saw this they fouled repeatedly. Sure we even have their chief spoofer Aidan O Rourke on RTE talking about fouling as game management.

Like i said, get a proper ref in next week and lets see who wins a football match, not a game of black arts. If it is Armagh that win it then best of luck to them. Bottom line, Referees have a responsibility to cut out persistent tactical fouling and fouling off the ball and Armagh got cart blanche on that yesterday in my opinion.

tonto1888

The same could be said for you boys. It's great isn't it. How differently opposing fans view the same thing. FWIW I think Grimley was lucky to stay on but to suggest he deliberately tried to hurt your player is wise of the mark. I also think your full backs black card was the wrong call

mrdeeds

Quote from: moysider on June 03, 2019, 12:45:42 AM
Quote from: Westside on June 03, 2019, 12:23:30 AM
Quote from: Solo_run on June 03, 2019, 12:16:40 AM
Quote from: Westside on June 03, 2019, 12:15:13 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on June 03, 2019, 12:07:42 AM
Quote from: Westside on June 02, 2019, 11:56:16 PM
The players lined up for the throw in, McVeety put out his hand to shake hands with Morgan and got a shoulder to the chest for his troubles so Dara gave him a few shoves in return. Morgan then fouled McVeety trying to go through him on the ground and Cavan got a score from the free. Then in response to more pulling and dragging off the ball Dara pushed him and Morgan pushed Dara in the face, inexplicably got a yellow and he got moved off him and then subbed when it was clear he was a walking liability. And of course you go to the umpire when you've just been struck in the face, you're entitled to look for fair play from the officials.

But yes, McVeety should cut out the crap....

As for saying Grimley went to kick the ball as McKiernan dived on it, since when does a player draw the boot on a ball loose ball instead of going to win it? He deliberately drew the boot on it because he saw McKiernan going to win it, clearly deliberate dangerous play.

The Sunday game are commending Armagh for defensive discipline and you're admitting that they had 1 deserved red and could have easily had 2 more. Interesting indeed.

If you think Grimley deliberately went to hurt McKernan you are way out of line. Jamie Clarke drew the boot on the ball in front of goal - who was he trying to hurt?

As for the comments on the reds I was trying to give a view on what is possible and not what I thought was correct.

He doesn't need to try to hurt him for it to be red. He needs to put him in danger, which he did. He drew the boot on the ball when he saw McKiernan was diving for it, could have caught him in the head. Should have been a red.

That is the key - he didn't (although I do need to watch the incident again).

It's not the key, connecting or not connecting is irrelevant. You can't wildly draw the boot on a ball when a man is diving in head first to win it. It's the act that's dangerous play not the result. And he did connect, just not in the head.

Difficult one. No way a red anyway. Grimley was lucky not to more seriously hurt himself there. Could have turned his knee inside out there like Tom Parsons' injury. There was no intent to kick McKiernan imo and even if was a bit reckless it was a yellow at most. The ball was there and player dived in from blind side.

This can not be anything but a WUM making this comment. He could have injured himself wildly drawing the boot.

The ref was shocking. Morgan fouled three times early on going through McVeety and not even a tick. Then hit Mcveety a box which linesman called and a yellow.

Taylor

From watching on tv the ref got most calls right bar the first black.

Wasnt an easy game to referee with all the shenanigans though and if players decide to go down that route then it is pointless fans blaming the referee.

Throw ball

Quote from: Itchy on June 03, 2019, 10:53:37 AM

Aye, and they cant abide being called out for it either. I have no problem saying that Brady was a correct red, as was Moynaghs black. I have no problem being annoyed at Brady's poor discipline, I'd say Mickey is raging at him. But the constant persistent fouling by for example Shields on McVitty goes unpunished then when another player does one foul (ie mckiernan) and gets a yellow right away. Once Armagh saw this they fouled repeatedly. Sure we even have their chief spoofer Aidan O Rourke on RTE talking about fouling as game management.

Like i said, get a proper ref in next week and lets see who wins a football match, not a game of black arts. If it is Armagh that win it then best of luck to them. Bottom line, Referees have a responsibility to cut out persistent tactical fouling and fouling off the ball and Armagh got cart blanche on that yesterday in my opinion.

I thought McKernan got yellow for persistent fouling. He was lucky he didn't get a black card for hauling Grimley to the ground just before half time. Off the ball and right in front of linesman.

Anyway reading this the referee for next week knows that Cavan are angels and when Armagh go for the ball and get it it is a pour accident as their true intention is to maul their opponent. ::)

Angelo

As a neutral, I don't think you can say the referee favoured either side.

Grimley definitely should have gone as it was very reckless. The black card for the Cavan lad was the wrong call and should have been a yellow.

Thought Cavan got some extremely generous frees over the course of the game, there was one in the first half where the Cavan player locked his arm around Hughes and got the free, think Burns had another free given against him when he was charged through.

McVeety is an excellent player, he got the kind of attention you expect him to get, from my viewing seemed well able to hand and give it back in spades.

Armagh's discipline does let them down though, they really lack an Andy Mallon style player in the that defence who doesn't committ too early and can hold the man up with the ball. Burns was superb for Armagh and I thought Forker had a great game and really seems to have cut the nonsense out that he used to persist with.

Mackey made a huge contribution for Cavan when he came on, thought Moynagh was really good too and McVeety. McKiernan had a mixed game, he is easily one of the top midfielders in the game, he has it all but he tries to do too much at times and took on some very inudlgent scores.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Itchy

Quote from: Throw ball on June 03, 2019, 01:09:08 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 03, 2019, 10:53:37 AM

I thought McKernan got yellow for persistent fouling. He was lucky he didn't get a black card for hauling Grimley to the ground just before half time. Off the ball and right in front of linesman.

Anyway reading this the referee for next week knows that Cavan are angels and when Armagh go for the ball and get it it is a pour accident as their true intention is to maul their opponent. ::)

Ah now the ref wouldn't need to read this thread to know that, just watching Ulster football for the past number of years he'd know that. :P

LCohen

Likelihood is that the new ref will have at least a passing interest in football and will have watched the game. Won't need to read the silly talk here. The Faulkner black was clearly wrong. Everything else looked correct or arguable. The man in middle who gets one view in real time did ok.

We have some tackling issue but the talk on here is off the chart and easily ignored for what it is.

No cheap cards must be a key consideration of every player. Its basically volunteering to be subbed in the modern game and does nothing to help your team or team mates.

We need to ask more questions of Cavan. They are very much set up to play with and therefore against a sweeper. They were constantly trying to stretch us wide. We did nothing to do the same to them and nullify the sweeper. We have the means to do this. Just need to go for it

Blowitupref

From a tweet i saw.

Yesterday was Cian Mackey 128th game for Cavan and his 0-3 took his tally to 7-124.  His 15th season - made senior intercounty as a minor in 2005.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

And now Armagh talking about appealing donaghy red. Jokers. It should be doubled for wasting GAA time.

tonto1888

Quote from: Itchy on June 03, 2019, 04:05:51 PM
And now Armagh talking about appealing donaghy red. Jokers. It should be doubled for wasting GAA time.

They said they would look at the video. The video will show there's no chance of getting off.

seafoid

Mickey Graham seems to be making progress with Cavan. If he keeps this going for 2 or 3 seasons ...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Look-Up!

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2019, 04:26:10 PM
Mickey Graham seems to be making progress with Cavan. If he keeps this going for 2 or 3 seasons ...

Traditionally Cavan tend to crumble when a man down in tight games and are dire in replays. Hopefully it's 2 out of 2 in that regard next week.

BennyCake

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 03, 2019, 04:18:17 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 03, 2019, 04:05:51 PM

They said they would look at the video. The video will show there's no chance of getting off.

Yup, McCorry said afterwards they'd look at video to see if they'll appeal.

But there is no grounds for appeal, as we seen later on TV. End of story.