Fermanagh v Armagh Brewster Pk Sat 19th May 7:00pm

Started by illdecide, May 10, 2018, 09:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

The reality is that McGeeney & Co yet again decided to go for a stupid psychological prep, name players out of position, changing the starting team at the last minute, building tactics around the opposition, all instead of playing to their own plan and making the opposition change its plan. 

How about having a simple plan to name your team, go out and play the game to your own strengths.

BennyCake

Quote from: Throw ball on May 19, 2018, 09:53:06 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 19, 2018, 09:43:01 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on May 19, 2018, 09:29:32 PM
No harm Rufus but I have to disagree. Armagh were terrible but the crap that Fermanagh get up to is what is driving people away from football. They are not the only ones. How many bothered going to match today ! The sad thing is that Armagh do not need to improve their discipline to win matches. They need to learn a crap game plan and take a degree in the dark arts. Aidan Forker has went from a nark to a saint. He deserves credit for not losing the head considering the amount of off the ball abuse he got. Abuse that went through a myriad of players and management. Fermanagh people may say it is sour grapes but I live Gaelic football and the game is being destroyed. Just look at Mayo v Galway last week.

No harm taken at all - you are a regular poster whose views here and on our own site I would respect.

However I will disagree with you on this one. I wasn't at the game, but the TV images/ sounds clearly enabled the viewer to see and indeed hear what was going on. That cannot explain our wrong options, misplaced passes, awful shooting, carrying the ball into contact, terrible indiscipline in the tackle - as was the case in the League Final - to name but a few.

I cannot really disagree with your analysis of Armagh. I just don't think Fermanagh were a better football team. They were just better at destroying the game and winning at any cost. It is these tactics now endemic in the game that are driving people away. I would even guess it was one reason you didn't go!

It was the reason I didn't go (mostly). The game 95% of the time is diabolical. I've better things to spend my money on. It's bad enough watching it at home (when I can even be bothered to do that).

keeperlit

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 19, 2018, 10:34:35 PM
The reality is that McGeeney & Co yet again decided to go for a stupid psychological prep, name players out of position, changing the starting team at the last minute, building tactics around the opposition, all instead of playing to their own plan and making the opposition change its plan. 

How about having a simple plan to name your team, go out and play the game to your own strengths.

Thats exactly the problem. They are building a system and trying to get players to fit into system instead of looking at players and seeing what game plan would get the most out the players you have. They are also implementing this system through all the development and underage teams and it is not working there either. Serious review of Armagh set up is needed.

Also do not buy the line that there is no players in Armagh of a good county standard.

Best of luck to Fermanagh in next round. Deserved winners tonight.

brokencrossbar1

Football is simple and it is complicated by people who believe in systems over skills. I have always. Even if the opinion that the basics are the key and it you can do them better than the man beside you in the opposite jersey then this increases the changes of winning. The fundamentals are the basic building blocks and I get the feeling that armagh don't know what they are. It won't change and that's the reality. Too many people in key positions are happy with the status hip remaining

thewobbler

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 19, 2018, 10:59:03 PM
Football is simple and it is complicated by people who believe in systems over skills. I have always. Even if the opinion that the basics are the key and it you can do them better than the man beside you in the opposite jersey then this increases the changes of winning. The fundamentals are the basic building blocks and I get the feeling that armagh don't know what they are. It won't change and that's the reality. Too many people in key positions are happy with the status hip remaining

I'd agree 100%.

It's truly odd just how many people are determined that complex systems, and focusing on the oppositon instead on your own team, will make average players into good players.

As for the naming of incorrect teams and bizarre positional switches. Down players from 1991 and 94 played in a remarkably simple time; when you put your best 15 on the field in the best arrangement to make the most of their abilities. And it produced success. Yet a succession of those players have convinced themselves that their role as managers is to focus on the "extra 2%", instead of the initial 100%.

Armagh's class of 2003 also enjoyed remarkably uncomplicated tactics and a straightforward duel in the sun approach to team formations and announcements. Yet as managers, those players just don't seem to believe in that approach.

sid waddell

Bad evening for Ard Mocha.

Armagh supporters thought success would be instant when Geezer took over but they need to wake up and smell the coffee. They mistakenly thought the players would be full of beans once they reached the ground in Enniskillen today, and there could now be trouble brewing after the team's roasting.

There was never going to be a latte comeback this evening without their Americano.

It was a flat (orange and) white performance - one could even say it was crappuccino - they were made mugs of, and there will be no cups heading to the Orchard county this year. But hopefully supporters of other counties will refrain from indulging in some Orange Mocha-ing.

For Fermanagh supporters however, if they could finally win the Ulster title this year it would be very much a case of Au Lait, Au Lait, Au Lait.

Owen Brannigan

Systems dominate when managers/coaches don't have the belief that their players can win a game with the ability, skills and desire they have or can develop with good coaching and concentration on the simplicity of the game; tackling/defending, kicking accurately and scoring.  When the basic skills are second nature and players are free to concentrate on playing the game better decision-making develops, players are free to play and enjoy the game.  Systems clog the mind, stultify the game and discourage/prevent genius from the best and good decisions from the others.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 19, 2018, 11:23:29 PM

Systems dominate when managers/coaches don't have the belief that their players can win a game with the ability, skills and desire they have or can develop with good coaching and concentration on the simplicity of the game; tackling/defending, kicking accurately and scoring.  When the basic skills are second nature and players are free to concentrate on playing the game better decision-making develops, players are free to play and enjoy the game.  Systems clog the mind, stultify the game and discourage/prevent genius from the best and good decisions from the others.

Systems dominate where managers don't have belief in their own ability or courage in their convictions.

thejuice

I don't think I can recall seeing as bad a performance by an Armagh team. What's left of the 2014 team that beat us? They weren't world beaters then but today's performance they looked like a division 4 team.

Just weak all over, even some of their kick outs were going to isolated Armagh players amongst 3 or 4 Fermanagh players which ended up coming back down the field as scores seconds later.

Definitely would be surprised if what we saw today was the best talent in that county.

That said fair play to Fermanagh they were vastly superior all over the field.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Itchy

I said it for a long time, mcgeeney is a a spoofer. Surely his more ardent supporters can see this now.

BennyCake

Quote from: Itchy on May 19, 2018, 11:32:58 PM
I said it for a long time, mcgeeney is a a spoofer. Surely his more ardent supporters can see this now.

Only a similar run like last year will save him now.

Rossfan

Fair play to Fermanagh but Armagh seem a right shambles.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Throw ball

Quote from: thejuice on May 19, 2018, 11:28:39 PM
I don't think I can recall seeing as bad a performance by an Armagh team. What's left of the 2014 team that beat us? They weren't world beaters then but today's performance they looked like a division 4 team.

Just weak all over, even some of their kick outs were going to isolated Armagh players amongst 3 or 4 Fermanagh players which ended up coming back down the field as scores seconds later.

Definitely would be surprised if what we saw today was the best talent in that county.

That said fair play to Fermanagh they were vastly superior all over the field.

Of the top of my head starters today that played against Meath then are Donaghy Vernon Shields and Forker.

Throw ball

Never mind tactics the biggest question I have about Armagh at the minute is why so many players are getting injured. Shields Vernon Rafferty Sheridan Hughes Grugan McShane McElroy  among others all missed a number of weeks training in lead up to game due to injury. All but Grugan I think were muscle injuries.

stephenite

Quote from: Itchy on May 19, 2018, 11:32:58 PM

100%, that man has long been an embarrassment to himself