Drink Driving

Started by Boycey, October 27, 2015, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: illdecide on November 03, 2015, 02:28:16 PM
I would love to know how O'Rourke feels and did he make any statement after being sentenced. Did he show remorse? Has he written to the family asking for forgiveness? Is he sorry for what he done? the Treacy family will always be haunted with this to the day of their grave but how will O'Rourke be and his family...

I know if i was stupid enough to do something like that i don't think i could live with myself, i'd be looking the judge to throw away the key to the cell

If you've driven while drunk at any point in your life, then you were stupid enough to do something like that and are no better than O' Rourke. I have and I'm sure lots of others on here have too.

Franko

I would love to know how O'Rourke feels and did he make any statement after being sentenced. Did he show remorse? Has he written to the family asking for forgiveness? Is he sorry for what he done? the Treacy family will always be haunted with this to the day of their grave but how will O'Rourke be and his family...

I know if i was stupid enough to do something like that i don't think i could live with myself, i'd be looking the judge to throw away the key to the cell

According to deiseach's Indo article, before sentencing he took the stand to say;

"I would give my life, I never went out to hurt anybody that day," he said. "I just didn't think, I just jumped into the car."

Seems pretty remorseful but I'm sure it's scant consolation.

deiseach

Quote from: Asal Mor on November 03, 2015, 02:33:43 PM
If you've driven while drunk at any point in your life, then you were stupid enough to do something like that and are no better than O' Rourke. I have and I'm sure lots of others on here have too.

Agreed.

LeoMc

Quote from: GJL on October 30, 2015, 11:04:48 AM
I would guess that using the mobile to either text or take/make a call is something that causes a lot of accidents. I know I have been guilty of using the phone whilst driving and have the points on my license to prove it!
Latest adverts are saying it makes you 4 times more likely to have an accident.

I also remember a few years ago reading up on tests they were doing regarding reaction times. The thing that stuck in my head was that it showed having a car interior at 27C as opposed to 19C decreased increased reaction times by 50%.

LeoMc

Quote from: Asal Mor on November 03, 2015, 02:01:20 PM
It's a tragic case but I'm not sure about the sentence. The judge was obviously moved by all that the family have been through, and it's unimaginable, but I don't think O' Rourke is any worse than lots of us who would have driven home in similar states of drunkenness(feeling invincible as O' Neill said). A mandatory two week prison sentence for anyone who drinks and drives would be a good idea imo, rather than treating it as a minor offence unless you're unfortunate enough to hit someone. If someone drinks ten pints and drives, the rest is just down to luck.You see people with multiple drink driving convictions get far lesser sentences and imo that's unfair. This man has to live with what he did as well and his suffering must be beyond comprehension too.
Those are the boys should be getting jail every time.

Franko

Quote from: LeoMc on November 03, 2015, 02:53:28 PM
I would guess that using the mobile to either text or take/make a call is something that causes a lot of accidents. I know I have been guilty of using the phone whilst driving and have the points on my license to prove it!

I also remember a few years ago reading up on tests they were doing regarding reaction times. The thing that stuck in my head was that it showed having a car interior at 27C as opposed to 19C decreased reaction times by 50%.

So hotter made reaction times faster?  Intuitively I'd have thought the opposite but that's quite interesting.

LeoMc

Quote from: Franko on November 03, 2015, 03:00:14 PM

I also remember a few years ago reading up on tests they were doing regarding reaction times. The thing that stuck in my head was that it showed having a car interior at 27C as opposed to 19C decreased reactions times by 50%.

So hotter made reaction times faster?  Intuitively I'd have thought the opposite but that's quite interesting.

Corrected...

snoopdog

Quote from: Franko on November 03, 2015, 02:37:30 PM

According to deiseach's Indo article, before sentencing he took the stand to say;

"I would give my life, I never went out to hurt anybody that day," he said. "I just didn't think, I just jumped into the car."

Seems pretty remorseful but I'm sure it's scant consolation.

10 pints and got into a car to drive. He didn't get long enough in my opinion. I know everyone makes mistakes but when your mistake costs a life you deserve what you get. His life will go on when his time is served. That wee boy will still be dead and his family will never be the same again.  Coming up to Christmas just leave the car at home.

muppet

Quote from: LeoMc on November 03, 2015, 03:04:39 PM

I also remember a few years ago reading up on tests they were doing regarding reaction times. The thing that stuck in my head was that it showed having a car interior at 27C as opposed to 19C decreased reactions times by 50%.

Corrected...

I was wondering about that. I would have thought that 27C in a car would be causing people to nod.

Interesting though because most people wouldn't make the connection.
MWWSI 2017

LeoMc

Quote from: muppet on November 03, 2015, 06:13:36 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on November 03, 2015, 03:04:39 PM

Corrected...

I was wondering about that. I would have thought that 27C in a car would be causing people to nod.

Interesting though because most people wouldn't make the connection.
It was by how much the reactions slowed with the extra bit of warmth (sleepy time) that shocked me.
Tiredness kills it is just not as easy to measure in the blood or by looking at the mobile history.

Hound

Quote from: Asal Mor on November 03, 2015, 02:33:43 PM

He had 10 pints (didn't finish the last one, so officially they are calling it 9 and a half).

I honestly believe that I don't think anyone I know would drive a car with that much booze on board.

Huge difference between a driver over the limit from having 2 or 3 pints and someone after having 9 or 10 pints.

illdecide

I remember 20 years ago when i hadn't long got the test and was young and foolish i drove the car up to Dundalk one Friday night with the girlfriend, done the usual bite to eat, Lotto, car full of diesel and drove back home. Was a frosty night so the heat was blasting in the car and i'd been working hard all week with little sleep and was very tired, i could feel the head going with tiredness but thought i'd be grand. The girlfriend was sleeping and i was fighting to stay awake.

The police had been following me for a few miles outside of Newry and pulled me over. The Cop woman asked me had i been drinking? "Of course not" was my reply and the next question was "are you tired"? She made me get out of the car and walk a few hundred meters until i had been refreshed (which i was), she than asked me was i okay to continue on home and i said "yes". Got into the car and continued the journey home and 5 mins later the head was away again and the scary thing is i couldn't remember driving through Banbridge Town and i actually woke up about to drive into a parked car on the way into Lurgan, i swerved the car around just missing it but if there had of been a car coming in the other direction i was dead. that soon woke me up and got home safe from there but the fact i drove about 20 miles and can't remember it at all or how the hell i got there is unreal, that was probably just poor luck and worse that drink driving...to this day iv'e never drove whilst tired again, shocked the life out of me on what could have happened...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

WT4E

Turns ut Dublin players really do get off with everything! :O

general_lee

Quote from: WT4E on November 13, 2015, 02:04:55 PM
Turns ut Dublin players really do get off with everything! :O
Plenty of people getting off with that technicality, no?