Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2018, 04:59:16 PM
Remind me again how Napoleon got on.......

A bit better than Arlene Foster?

Orior

Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2018, 04:59:16 PM
Remind me again how Napoleon got on.......

Remind me again how Napoleon got on....... top of Josephine?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

naka

Quote from: trailer on October 23, 2018, 04:14:04 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 23, 2018, 03:55:16 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 23, 2018, 11:19:32 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 23, 2018, 10:32:26 AM
The one point this whole Brexit thing has reinforced for me, is how even when they are in a minority unionism and the British State continues to diminish the Irish identity of 45% of NI. And worse still we let it.

Well, if the Shinners would bother their hole to go to Westminster and take the position of "we'll vote the opposite of whatever the DUP votes to (mostly) nullify their veto", then maybe things could inch forward.
Bullshit, why would they take their seats in a foreign parliament and swear allegiance to the Queen?

Why stand for election then?
Expenses

RadioGAAGAA

Bullshit, why would they take their seats in a foreign parliament and swear allegiance to the Queen?

Walk in on the session, submit their voting slips, walk out.

It'd actually be interesting to see them do it anyway - would they stop the session of parliament until they swore on ol Lizzie? Could bring the whole thing grinding to a halt and add another bit of fuel to the fire - monarchists vs. republicans (no, not those republicans, or those republicans, the anti-monarchy republicans).
i usse an speelchekor

omaghjoe

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 23, 2018, 10:42:40 PM

Walk in on the session, submit their voting slips, walk out.

It'd actually be interesting to see them do it anyway - would they stop the session of parliament until they swore on ol Lizzie? Could bring the whole thing grinding to a halt and add another bit of fuel to the fire - monarchists vs. republicans (no, not those republicans, or those republicans, the anti-monarchy republicans).

Would the Shinners side with the disciples of Cromwell?

Wildweasel74

Still take the queen's pound, greedy feckers?! Money beats all morals

seafoid

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-economy-lags-badly-behind-republics-37450685.html

"Northern Ireland's economy is struggling to find momentum while the Republic is benefiting from foreign-owned businesses, according to a new report.
The Nevin Economic Research Institute said a deep gap exists between the strong performance of foreign firms operating in the Republic and its domestic economy. The report said Northern Ireland lags in both areas by a considerable margin in output, productivity and investment."

Brexit is obviously the answer
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tiempo

Stewart Jackson still hasn't retracted his comment towards the child in hospital, spurious claims now that it was directed at the father. Disgusting. Makes my blood boil.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 24, 2018, 04:04:45 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45967507

Irony alert!

Yeah watched it on the news and wondered why they didn't put that question back to them?

Looks increasingly like no deal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2018, 10:54:22 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 24, 2018, 04:04:45 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45967507

Irony alert!

Yeah watched it on the news and wondered why they didn't put that question back to them?

Looks increasingly like no deal

The Brits have already agreed to the backstop in the event of no deal. Right?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: GJL on October 25, 2018, 12:52:26 AM

No.  The backstop only happens if there is a deal. No deal means the entire UK exists the EU on March 29th and all EU / UK co-operation stops at that point (that's why it's often referred to as the "cliff edge").

seafoid

Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 25, 2018, 06:45:54 AM
Quote from: GJL on October 25, 2018, 12:52:26 AM

No.  The backstop only happens if there is a deal. No deal means the entire UK exists the EU on March 29th and all EU / UK co-operation stops at that point (that's why it's often referred to as the "cliff edge").
A deal means an arrangement on customs and/or Single Market. The only Border post Brexit with the EU is in Ulster. If there is no deal NI and RoI will have different trade rules so there has to be a backstop to avoid chaos.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Smokin Joe

Quote from: seafoid on October 25, 2018, 06:54:16 AM

QuoteA deal means an arrangement on customs and/or Single Market. The only Border post Brexit with the EU is in Ulster. If there is no deal NI and RoI will have different trade rules so there has to be a backstop to avoid chaos.

Seafoid, all of that makes logical sense.  However, there has to be a Deal for their to be a backstop.  There has to be a Deal for NI to be treated differently from England.  If there is no agreement (or a Deal) that NI will be treated differently (where a backstop is part of that "being treated differently") then NI, like England would leave the EU next March.
This is why the UK / EU getting a Deal is so important for NI.

haranguerer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-44615404
The backstop is a position of last resort, to protect an open border on the island of Ireland in the event that the UK leaves the EU without securing an all-encompassing deal.