"It's time for the GAA to drop the national anthem"

Started by seafoid, September 21, 2016, 09:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: WT4E on December 09, 2021, 11:45:57 PM
We booked a band from Dublin for our wedding. Thought they where upmarket. They provided DJ as well. End of night they rattle out the soldiers song. I'd count myself a republican but I was pissed off they did it as my wife had a number of friends and neighbours there who where the other side of the house.

I can day that is the only wedding that I heard it at.

Then off course I got the blame saying u must of asked them to do that....... and I couldn't get angry with the band in case someone found out an accused me of being a stoop or blue shirt.   A no win weird situation to be in.

;D :o

;D ;D

That would have been some craic lol.

I suppose people stood to attention?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cyril Farrell fan

The worst time you could play the anthem on match day is just before the throw in when the crowd are getting restless.
Most people would rather skip it and have the match start.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I still turn the volume down or channel over if GSTQ is on. Then again I went to the bother of getting a protractor to scrape out the London in Londonderry(you know the gold script stuff at the bottom corner) on my first wains 1 year old photo. No way it was getting framed on wall with that

Taylor

I love the National Anthem being played before games.

Think it really adds to the occasion and can get the hairs on your neck standing depending on the importance of the game

Wildweasel74

National anthem before a game never really bothered me, I suppose it was part of the association saying we all irish, but it wouldn't attract many protestants to our games.

An Watcher

I love the anthem before games and was one of the main things I remembered at big games.  Be a shame to lose it and I don't see why it should go tbh

Silver hill

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on December 10, 2021, 09:34:13 AM
The worst time you could play the anthem on match day is just before the throw in when the crowd are getting restless.
Most people would rather skip it and have the match start.
[/quote

Most people?
Are you nuts?
Two of the greatest feelings (as an Irishman) is to sing the National Anthem at the hurling or football final.
Restless me hole.

Eire90

Quote from: WT4E on December 09, 2021, 10:09:43 AM
National Anthem a big debate at Windsor.

I hear them asking for God Save the Queen to be sung at GAA matches. I use to care but I would be in favour of dropping Soldiers Song if that lot dropped GSTQ.

What do others think now?

it was really nolan and radio ulser stirring it up as usual i think most people dont care what they play at northern ireland games

Rossfan

Quote from: An Watcher on December 10, 2021, 09:18:15 PM
I love the anthem before games and was one of the main things I remembered at big games.  Be a shame to lose it and I don't see why it should go tbh
It's grand when it's played or sung properly at the bigger games.
But scratchy recordings, probably from gramophone days at NFL matches or some poor frozen scór winner singing it like a lament or phonetically not having a clue what it means...... no thanks.
As to the bigger picture there's no need for it before games at at all.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on December 11, 2021, 01:28:43 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on December 10, 2021, 09:18:15 PM
It's grand when it's played or sung properly at the bigger games.
But scratchy recordings, probably from gramophone days at NFL matches or some poor frozen scór winner singing it like a lament or phonetically not having a clue what it means...... no thanks.
As to the bigger picture there's no need for it before games at at all.
So we need better speaker systems or singers then? Personally have heard it manys a time in the AG before club/county games and the hairs be standing on your neck as a neutral nevermind when your own club/county is involved.

Our Scor winners must be of a better standard than yours ;)

Rossfan

It's usually the Nordie or Leinster ones who sing phonetically as they haven't a clue what the words are or mean.
9 times out of 10 the players don't stand to attention either.
Then there are the lugs who drown out the last line or 2 roarin like eejits.
As I say no need for it, except maybe AI Finals.
Thousands of games played every week that don't have it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on December 13, 2021, 09:08:31 AM
It's usually the Nordie or Leinster ones who sing phonetically as they haven't a clue what the words are or mean.
9 times out of 10 the players don't stand to attention either.
Then there are the lugs who drown out the last line or 2 roarin like eejits.
As I say no need for it, except maybe AI Finals.
Thousands of games played every week that don't have it.
Ah here we go....

general_lee

On the face of it it's only a small thing, but singing the National anthem before a big match or final was (and to a certain extent still is) one of the few occasions when "nordies" got to express their identity collectively, free from any threat of harassment. Personally not fussed if it was confined to finals only, but I wouldn't underestimate the meaning it holds for people in the north - something some of our southern cousins would do well to remember.

Itchy

Quote from: general_lee on December 13, 2021, 09:55:47 AM
On the face of it it's only a small thing, but singing the National anthem before a big match or final was (and to a certain extent still is) one of the few occasions when "nordies" got to express their identity collectively, free from any threat of harassment. Personally not fussed if it was confined to finals only, but I wouldn't underestimate the meaning it holds for people in the north - something some of our southern cousins would do well to remember.

I think before a big game AI semis, AI finals maybe and Provincial finals i think sure play it. But before McKenna cup, league games its a bit of a joke. You have players stretching, spitting out water during it. You have supporters chatting through it. Its the anthem of our country and if it is not going to be respected then don't embarrass yourself by playing it. Finally in the broader context if it becomes a barrier to other people from different backgrounds playing our games then I have no problem at all getting shot of it altogether, my identify as an Irishman is bigger and more complex than a 60 second song.

Armagh18

Quote from: Itchy on December 13, 2021, 10:23:32 AM
Quote from: general_lee on December 13, 2021, 09:55:47 AM

I think before a big game AI semis, AI finals maybe and Provincial finals i think sure play it. But before McKenna cup, league games its a bit of a joke. You have players stretching, spitting out water during it. You have supporters chatting through it. Its the anthem of our country and if it is not going to be respected then don't embarrass yourself by playing it. Finally in the broader context if it becomes a barrier to other people from different backgrounds playing our games then I have no problem at all getting shot of it altogether, my identify as an Irishman is bigger and more complex than a 60 second song.
Very rarely if ever see players not giving the anthem full respect snd attention and can definitely say no one in the stand has ever chatted through it at any game I've been at, but anyway just my experience. Completely disagree on your second point, don't think we should be ditching our national anthem to pander to people that have no interest in our sport or culture.