Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClubScene13

Quote from: WT4E on October 05, 2023, 10:57:38 AMTo be fair (and no disrespect to Beragh who put in a great season) its the 4 best teams in intermediate in the SFs and it should be two great games!

Absolutely, these is the 4 you would have fancied in the pre season. I can see any combination for the two finalists.

Clonoe hammered the Moy in the league this year who subsequently got rid of management, but sure Clogher also beat them in the league I wouldn't read much into that. The 1 point Moy win in the relegation playoff last year is probably a more accurate insight, I can't see any more than 1-3 points in that game.

Tentative edge to Pomeroy in the other one but Derrylaughan have been very impressive in their 2 games and finished the league well. If Pomeroy give Derrylaughan the head start they gave Owen Roes they'll be gone.

Dungannon have an impressive record over Trillick in recent years and will fancy this. However when you look through that Trillick team from 1-15 they're still extremely strong even without Mattie Donnelly. Feel like they have been written off slightly this year after that injury - this will also be close.

Errigal to have too much for Ardboe - who when the Fianna made a proper go of things in the second half nearly threw a game away they were cruising in. That won't do against the champions.

There is talk of Coalisland v Moortown being that weekend as well - it will be some 2 or 3 days of action.

Eire90

Goals_Will_Come

Ardboe any chance against Errigal?

Christmas Lights

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 05, 2023, 11:48:42 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on October 05, 2023, 05:33:45 PMis north tyrone gaa in trouble

Why?

I think it's the fact that every club in it is Div 3 or maybe heading that way. I seen Owen Roes twice this year, early on the were brilliant, towards end of year the wheels seemed to fall off. When you look at the youth Divisions are there any of them occupying a spot in Div 2 or 1 at any age? It's a bleak spot. School seems to be playing at the lower levels but that's hard to track with no real updated fixtures website.

Eire90

There was an article in stabane chronicle about north tyrone clubs in crises and stabane players not showing up because they were in intermediate.

TyroneClubs

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on October 05, 2023, 11:53:46 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 05, 2023, 11:48:42 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on October 05, 2023, 05:33:45 PMis north tyrone gaa in trouble

Why?

I think it's the fact that every club in it is Div 3 or maybe heading that way. I seen Owen Roes twice this year, early on the were brilliant, towards end of year the wheels seemed to fall off. When you look at the youth Divisions are there any of them occupying a spot in Div 2 or 1 at any age? It's a bleak spot. School seems to be playing at the lower levels but that's hard to track with no real updated fixtures website.

Owen Roes missed out on play offs on head to head with the Moy. Poor enough championship showings but again were without McShane. I think they'll be ok in D2 for another few years yet - worth remembering where Owen Roes were in 2010-12 - worst team in the county. Naomh Eoghain more than capable of picking up points in D2 and are close enough to midtable - higher if they had mayse or mcsorley for the full seasons.
As for Strabane, they will be up around the top next year and will be a tip for many for league or championship. Glenelly threw away the championship game against Drumragh this year and now look where they are - 60 mins from intermediate.
Granted Urney and Clan na Gael are not up to much these days with poor youth coming through. But Norh Tyrone is mainly smaller rural clubs bar Strabane so I wouldn't say crisis - maybe underperforming in a way but not a crisis.

GaaGPT

Going by league tables it looks like Owen Roes are the only team making a good account of themselves. Always in around playoffs in D2. Clann na gael and Urney look to be in bother.

W.A.G. Lover

Unfortunately the problem in (Rural) North/West Tyrone is de-population. The numbers are depleting each year - Just look at the number of school closures and youth amalgamations in the area.
  • Gortin and Glenelly
  • Clan Na Gael and Craigbane
  • Owen Roes and Urney
  • Newtownstewart and Dregish - Permanent.

There are very few, if any, new housing developments in these areas. New builds are becoming increasingly more difficult to build with planning restrictions and rising costs. The majority of funding for big projects is East of the Bann which restricts work possibilities. With no nearby access to motorway, trains or even decent bus routes, there is no attraction for people to remain here.

In years gone by, Rural and Urban clubs in Tyrone were equally strong and vibrant with numbers, but over the years this gap has become increasingly bigger, particularly in the North West. This area of Tyrone has produced some fantastic footballers over the years like O'Neill, Dooher, McShane, etc, but unless we stop this tide, we will be producing less players of their ilk from these areas. Look at the Tyrone training centre at Garvaghy - Almost 1 hour drive from the locality - Not exactly central or appealing to any young footballer (Or their parents driving them to training).

As a GAA community we need to be putting more pressure on our politicians to help areas like North/West Tyrone that are been left behind in terms of investment, infrastructure, development, etc. A vibrant North/West Tyrone can only make our County as a whole, alot stronger.

LeoMc

Quote from: clarshack on October 05, 2023, 08:10:18 PM
Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on October 05, 2023, 05:52:41 PMArdboe any chance against Errigal?

Yes

An Ardboe team has always been less than the sum of its parts. They consistently have plenty of top quality players but just never seem to click as a team. Some day they will. Maybe, with a couple of wins under their belts, good management and being written off this could be when they click.

Wee Roddy

They have a chance indeed but only if they can keep Oguz quiet. He is Errigals main man to make them function. I also think Ardboe will need a goal or two to win it

Ancharraig123

Any truth in Dan Lowe Stewartstown to the Fianna

chieftain

Has he played at all for Stewartstown this year?

clarshack

Are there 1/4 Finals for the Minor league or just straight to semis?
The U-16 league had 1/4 Finals but seen today there that the U-14 League is straight to the semi-final stage.