County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 07, 2017, 03:47:20 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 07, 2017, 03:31:48 PM

Taylor would not be a good appointment.
Why? he was the U21 manager only natural he would get promoted up to the senior gig now and can't do any worse than than last manager.

Sligo need someone on their next management that has a clue on tackling and ability to make them more solid defensively.
I don't really want to get into this but Taylor is not up to it from what I know and wont get it anyway so no point talking about him.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Quote from: redhandefender on September 07, 2017, 04:04:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 07, 2017, 03:38:19 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on September 07, 2017, 03:18:40 PM
Next appointment is crucial.  Is Eamon O'Hara a possibility?

Other names that spring to mind are Pete Mcgrath, Rory Gallagher, James Horan..

No comment or who's good or bad, just throwing out some names for discussion.

Rooney and Taylor would be very long odds imo
For me Horan, Gallagher, McGrath but i think Tony McEntee needs to be looked at, won 2 club All Irelands as manager of Crossmaglen and now has been involved as Mayo selector last 2 yrs, i want whats been implemented in Mayo last few yrs implemented in Sligo, there conditioned to a different level and that's a easy gain as any player can be conditioned to the max.

Its too early for O Hara, him and Rooney as selector for me, Rooney I think needs to be involved to help bring in the younger players, Rooney was already involved as selector and was putting things in place.

I don't think ye have a chance of getting Dany of the people you named.

I agree for once, pipe dreams!

Why wouldn't we? McGrath managed Fermanagh and it looks like Gallagher is being lined up to go there. I wouldn't say they're much better than us, if at all, and I don't believe they've the underage players coming through that we have. Banty, who some have mentioned, went to manage a Div4 team last year at the other end of the country.

We need a good manager to see how good we can be. Very difficult to say how far we can go but for the first time in a long while there's actually some potential in Sligo. We can't waste it by putting another clown in place. Our players deserve as good as we can get. They work tremendously hard with little reward. I find the sneering attitude of fellow gaels like you pair a bit disgusting.

Orchard park

For me Horan, Gallagher, McGrath but i think Tony McEntee needs to be looked at, won 2 club All Irelands as manager of Crossmaglen and now has been involved as Mayo selector last 2 yrs, i want whats been implemented in Mayo last few yrs implemented in Sligo, there conditioned to a different level and that's a easy gain as any player can be conditioned to the max.

Its too early for O Hara, him and Rooney as selector for me, Rooney I think needs to be involved to help bring in the younger players, Rooney was already involved as selector and was putting things in place.

Tony McEntee has SFA to do with mayo's conditioning.... Sligo would be mad to even try getting him, ask anyone in brigids Dublin what he is like........... and ye dont have the owner of Coppers to tank up his considerable expenses

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Orchard park on September 08, 2017, 09:43:12 AM

Tony McEntee has SFA to do with mayo's conditioning.... Sligo would be mad to even try getting him, ask anyone in brigids Dublin what he is like........... and ye dont have the owner of Coppers to tank up his considerable expenses
Ok orchard park thanks for the heads up, just looking for GAA men with experience of top class intercounty set ups,
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Orchard park

i hear you....

the one i think ye should chase is Ryan Porter, has to be browned off at this stage with his Monaghan no 2 role.

Man Marker

Quote from: Orchard park on September 08, 2017, 11:43:06 AM
i hear you....

the one i think ye should chase is Ryan Porter, has to be browned off at this stage with his Monaghan no 2 role.

and remind me again what All Irelands has he won as a manager, or as a number 2 what All Irelands has he been involved with?

I am not knocking Porter, he has a good reputation, but Mc Entee has walked the walk. he must be browned off with No 2 role also?

Orchard park

more of a no 3 in mayo, Donie Buckley much more senior in the pecking order

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on September 08, 2017, 02:16:33 PM
more of a no 3 in mayo, Donie Buckley much more senior in the pecking order

Talking of expenses..

Orchard park

would mayo be the 2nd best team in ireland over the last 7 seasons without Donie Buckley.........

and no he wouldn't come cheap at all but has moved them on from the levels of the rest of Connacht teams

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on September 08, 2017, 02:50:28 PM
would mayo be the 2nd best team in ireland over the last 7 seasons without Donie Buckley.........

and no he wouldn't come cheap at all but has moved them on from the levels of the rest of Connacht teams

Some of their tackling this season has been completely awful. Whatever he used to bring to Mayo it certainly doesn't seem to be the same as it once was. The money Mayo spend on 'mileage' for Buckley and McEntee combined is in no way worth it IMHO.

Orchard park

Donie Buckley offers much much more than tackling coaching....... a very simplistic one dimensional view of probably the most innovative intercounty gaelic football coach of the last 10 years

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on September 08, 2017, 03:18:30 PM
Donie Buckley offers much much more than tackling coaching....... a very simplistic one dimensional view of probably the most innovative intercounty gaelic football coach of the last 10 years

Oh come off it. Most innovative coach in a decade, the lad who did the sum total of feck all as manager in Clare and whose claim to fame is being a tackling coach on a team that's never won the AI. Mayo made AI finals before him, and they'll probably make them after him too. Cian O'Neill is probably just as important as a coach for Mayo and he at least has done something worthwhile as an IC manager.

Good coach, but more than charges the going rate for his services.

Orchard park

ok your labelling him a tackling coach.... i disagree .

has your club ever used him ?? have you ever watched him take a session, ever trained under him.........

he isnt an out and out manager and his brief clare spell proved it

Throw me back a more innovative coach over the last 10 years

having seen first hand what he achieved with lesser light footballers in Limerick under Mickey Ned,  he doesnt need my endorsement or your criticism to know how good he is

Donie wont be managing anyone in any event so I wont derail the Original topic any further....

oliverkelly

Quote from: Orchard park on September 08, 2017, 03:30:56 PM
ok your labelling him a tackling coach.... i disagree .

has your club ever used him ?? have you ever watched him take a session, ever trained under him.........

he isnt an out and out manager and his brief clare spell proved it

Throw me back a more innovative coach over the last 10 years

having seen first hand what he achieved with lesser light footballers in Limerick under Mickey Ned,  he doesnt need my endorsement or your criticism to know how good he is

Donie wont be managing anyone in any event so I wont derail the Original topic any further....

Done a few club sessions under him a few years back and i have yet to see better taught he was excellent. Also dont thinjk Mayo would be where they have been the last few years without him. This current Mayo team are now under their 3rd different management team but all have kept him on as trainer. that says something in itself

Captain Scarlet

FAO Sligonian ... As a sidenote to Carew going, what did Sligo folk think of Roli Sweeney. He is a man well thought of in Kildare?
In terms of a lad stepping up from a top class coach would Mick Bohan be worth a call?

An old head like McGrath along with O'Hara could work for Sligo.
It might be a big leap but you get the feeling Karl Lacey would step up alongside McEntee you would have s v dynamic team.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.