County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 17, 2019, 09:56:45 AM
Quote from: Hound on July 17, 2019, 08:24:07 AM
Could Jack O'Connor be a serious contender?

Hard to say, obviously his two lads are involved with Moorefield and that always gives rise to speculation. If he delivers an u20 AI this year for Kerry, his star will be bright again.

The populist media view is Malachy O'Rourke, the sentimental view and current favourite is Glenn Ryan.

Glenn would be my choice but I am very biased there so no surprise.

There's a lot to be said for staying with a local, and Ryan was certainly an icon as a player.

If it was decided to look outside, O'Connor and O'Rourke would seem good options. If looking for an "outside the box" choice, I wonder would there be any merit in going for a Dub, e.g. Darcy, Clarke, Sherlock, Farrell....

Although I personally believe this will be Gavin's last year, so one of those would presumably take up the reigns.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on July 17, 2019, 10:39:27 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 17, 2019, 09:56:45 AM
Quote from: Hound on July 17, 2019, 08:24:07 AM
Could Jack O'Connor be a serious contender?

Hard to say, obviously his two lads are involved with Moorefield and that always gives rise to speculation. If he delivers an u20 AI this year for Kerry, his star will be bright again.

The populist media view is Malachy O'Rourke, the sentimental view and current favourite is Glenn Ryan.

Glenn would be my choice but I am very biased there so no surprise.

There's a lot to be said for staying with a local, and Ryan was certainly an icon as a player.

If it was decided to look outside, O'Connor and O'Rourke would seem good options. If looking for an "outside the box" choice, I wonder would there be any merit in going for a Dub, e.g. Darcy, Clarke, Sherlock, Farrell....

Although I personally believe this will be Gavin's last year, so one of those would presumably take up the reigns.

Those two would be interesting, Farrell has Manager and Sherlock as his coach. Probably 2 Dubs Kildare supporters could get behind.  Definitely outside the box.
#newbridgeornowhere

oakleaflad

Damian McErlain has stood down as Derry Senior Football Manager.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 17, 2019, 06:07:48 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 16, 2019, 01:03:10 PM
His championship record with Kildare  P 20 W 9 D 1 L 10

Highlight and low light both happened last summer with the defeat to Carlow followed by the win v Mayo. When he took over Kildare they were in Div 3 and after a brief spell in Div 1 he has left them in Div 2.

Is that a good or bad record? Is there similar figures available for, say McGeeney with Kildare or Kevin Walsh with Galway?

The Mayo win last year showed up how bad the other poor results were. Similar to Cork this year.
I guess he never really got momentum with Kildare and it sounds like there are a number of factors

Inconsistent record. I'll take 2018 for example. Kildare got to prepare for that championship by playing in Div 1 and while they lost every game they were competitive in a number of those games so losing to Div 4 Carlow by 7 points made little sense.  In the last eight Kildare had the opportunity to win at least 1 game.  Monaghan in Croke Park or Galway in Newbridge which they would have done so if they brought some consistency from that win v Mayo.

Kieran McGeeney's championship record with Kildare was P 36 W 23 D 1 L 12

Would be best remembered for a very good qualifier record and inches away from leading Kildare to the AI final in 2010.  His provincial championship record was poor and 2008 to 2010 Leinster was far more winnable than it currently is.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 17, 2019, 12:38:04 PM
Damian McErlain has stood down as Derry Senior Football Manager.

Who is the early fav? Mal O'Rourke?

Real Talk

Malachy O'Rourke would not take the Derry job for any money.  Why,  because he had in Monaghan the most committed bunch of players in Ireland who always put the team first ... the players and their Co Board also put the County Team first and they had INVESTIC as their sponsor.   Derry couldn't match that. 

rodney trotter

It was said he intends to take a from management for a year. 7 years with Monaghan. He would be a good manager for Derry if did get him. He managed before in Derry as a club manager.

highorlow

So if the rumours are true sounds like Jack O'Connor for Kildare?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rossfan

Former Ros manager Johneen Evans steps down from Wicklow.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Is Monaghan's objective to go backwards in finding a replacement for O'Rourke?

'Banty' return could be on the cards in Monaghan

Seamus McEnaney is one of the frontrunners to replace Malachy O'Rourke as Monaghan senior football manager.

The Corduff clubman – current manager of the Monaghan U20s - previously managed his native county for six years between 2004 and 2010, leading them to two Ulster finals and a Division Two league title. He has managed Meath and Wexford in the meantime.

According to The Irish News, his is one of three names that have gone forward to the Monaghan County Board this week, with interviews expected to be carried out soon.

The other two candidates for the vacant post are reported to be former Crossmaglen manager Tony McEntee and former Scotstown and Cavan boss Mattie McGleenan.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Erne Man

Not surprising Ferm Gael - the third season for the most recent Fermangh managers has been a struggle.
I suspect we'll have some absent players who will return to the fold next year, and a batch of decent 19yrs old to bring in from the Hogan Cup winning team. Might as well blood some ot them next year - Horan, Love, Largo-Ellis at least. McBrien/Glynn might be a year too young.

With all the managerial changes in Ulster there will be a number of candidates moving from county to county - would love to see a Tony McEntee, but we're more likely to get a Banty!!
Unlikely that O'Rourke will throw his hat into the ring - but you never know.

Hound

Anthony Rainbow has handed in his notice at Ballyboden...

FermGael

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 29, 2019, 02:25:47 PM
Quote from: FermGael on July 29, 2019, 01:35:50 PM
https://www.impartialreporter.com/news/17801690.breaking-gallagher-steps-fermanagh-manager/

Surprised at this myself....Fermanagh ones happy enough though?

Rory did a very good job.
Took over Fermanagh in division 3 and we were promoted in his first year.  He then got us to an Ulster final where we failed to turn up against Donegal.
In his second year he kept us in division 2 ( and we were very unlucky not to get promoted , draws against Tipp and Cork ultimately cost us ) and then we put in two good performances in the championship especially against Donegal. With a bit more or attacking threat we would have beat Monaghan.

I am surprised he walked away.  He has developed alot of young players in the 2 years and there seems to be a good crop of lads from the St Michaels team of this year coming through.
Maybe he thought he had reached the ceiling, maybe he needed a break or maybe he has gotten a better offer....

Next appointment will be critical as division 2 will be ultra competitive again .   
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered