Gaels hit Spain's sunshine coast

Started by botman, January 25, 2007, 08:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

botman

Taken from BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6296093.stm
By Paul Rocks

There are many things associated with Spain's Costa del Sol these days. Sun, sea and sand are a few of the more obvious but what about Gaelic football?

On a Saturday evening a group of grown men (some more grown than others) can be seen chasing a ball on a beach at La Cala.

The Costa Del Sol is better known for its beaches

But this is not like the Brazilians having a kick about on Copacabana beach in Rio. This is the weekly training session for the Costa Gaels football team.

They beat Madrid and Barcelona last year to lift the Spanish title and there are not many teams who can boast that.

The Gaels narrowly lost out at the European finals in Paris but the training has become more intense since then as they prepare for their stiffest task yet - the Paidi O'Se invitational tournament in Kerry next month.

Team captain Pat Conlon, who is originally from Armagh, said the Costa Gaels were not frightened of the opposition.

"We expect it to be tough. There will be club teams from all over Ireland but we have a good bunch of players now.

"It's a far cry from when I arrived on the Costa del Sol 19 years ago. There were only retirees living here at the time," he said.

The Costa Gaels squad

"In the past 10 years there has been a huge influx in young Irish people and families who are now making their home here."

Pat and his brother Philip are part of the strong contingent from Northern Ireland that makes up the core of the team.

Justin Parks, who had never played the game before moving to Spain, said it was a great way for him to get to know the expat community in Marbella.

"I'm a Protestant and I'd never played Gaelic before. I finished university in Belfast, came straight down to Spain and I got involved because I wanted to hang around with a few Irish lads.

"I liked the look of the game because it was fast and I could use my hands. I was never a great soccer player or a great rugby player but I was able to combine the two."

Team captain Pat Conlon celebrates winning the Spanish title last year

The Costa Gaels host a tournament in Marbella every October at the MPF elite football training complex, which is more used to having teams from Europe's top football leagues, including many from the Premiership.

Many famous faces from GAA in Ireland have turned out for the Spanish based outfit in recent years including Kerry legend Bomber Liston and Tyrone all-Ireland winning captain Peter Canavan.

They even had former Republic of Ireland striker Niall Quinn make an appearance as a substitute.

The team are hoping to invite the Police Service of Northern Ireland to play in this year's tournament.

Justin said: "We have talked about it and things are getting better at home so although there may be logistical problems, it is something we are definitely considering."

Keep them at it.

youbetterbelieveit

Its good to see the development around Europe in GAA. Out of curiosity how many Sevens Tournaments are there in the season.

I know of the following,

The Europeans Competitions, such as Marbella, Guernsey etc..
You have the Kilmacud Crokes 7's
The All Ireland 7's senior and Junior
The Paudi O'Shea Invitational
The Castlewellen 7's
The Dubai 7's
The Toronto 7's
The fort Launderdale 7's

Any more? i think this should become more of an integral aprt of the GAA scene.

Over the Bar

Captain Scarlet

lads there is a full programme of 11 a side tournaments every year in Europe.
great craic altogher. you have a benelux league in football and the top two go into the euro league to play the spanish, german and french teams.

in the hurling it is more based in northern europe with zurich winning it this year but there are teams everywhere.

great way to make base and if ya know anyone you should go to an event.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

lynchbhoy

Digicel 2007 Cayman Islands Gaelic Football Club Schedule
13 January 2007     JANUARY MIXED 10's COMPETITION
Mar 16th                     GAA TRIP TO JAMAICA (for competition/session)
2 June 2007   Finals Day      

beachgael

There is another 7's in New York and its played on the beach.  We are looking for teams from ireland or any where else in the world to take part in it.  We are going into our 4th year of the tournament and so far we had only teams from Philadelphia that are outside the New York GAA area.  We are thinking of some prize money for the winners to entice teams from outside New York to take part.  Ideally a team from Ireland, as it would help reaise awareness of the sport in Ireland and in the US.  The tournament would put any team to the test as its very intense playing Gaelic on sand in a competitve manner.

Check out the website for more info and email me for more details.  www.beachgaelic.com

sound,
paddy

hobnob1

Is there a world cup for this type of thing or is just the big european stage?? I hear china have a cracking 7s team. They beat Tyrone there last year