Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awideisneverasgood

The wifes Tiguain went through the MOT with the engine management light on in November - No issues.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: awideisneverasgood on January 07, 2020, 09:41:34 AM
The wifes Tiguain went through the MOT with the engine management light on in November - No issues.

Sounds like you got lucky. As of the 20th May last year an engine management light that doesn't go out is a failure:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/news/changes-mot-and-other-vehicle-tests

marty34

How much, on average, would 2 front pads and discs be for a 12 year old Audi A4? Fitted included.

paddyjohn

Quote from: marty34 on January 17, 2020, 11:13:49 PM
How much, on average, would 2 front pads and discs be for a 12 year old Audi A4? Fitted included.

Depends on brand and who fits them. Go decent like Ferodo and stay away from cheap dirt, where are you based?

omagh_gael

Quote from: paddyjohn on January 17, 2020, 11:58:04 PM

Depends on brand and who fits them. Go decent like Ferodo and stay away from cheap dirt, where are you based?

I got new front pads and discs done on my 9 Yr old zafira last week in a reputable independent garage in Omagh for £95 Inc labour.

marty34

Got a quote for £165 - passing through Dungannon.

paddyjohn

Quote from: marty34 on January 18, 2020, 05:28:17 PM

Got a quote for £165 - passing through Dungannon.

Sounds on the high side tbh. I paid £100 for my Touran.

Ambrose

Enter your reg into the Euro Car Parts website, then add an hours labour. 165 doesn't seem that dear.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

marty34

under the bar

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on January 07, 2020, 10:18:03 AM

Sounds like you got lucky. As of the 20th May last year an engine management light that doesn't go out is a failure:

Wouldn't any dashboard fault light be an MOT fail?

tbrick18

Quote from: under the bar on January 19, 2020, 11:11:06 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on January 07, 2020, 10:18:03 AM

Wouldn't any dashboard fault light be an MOT fail?

I think only EML is a fail.
I have 2 lights permanently on my dash, a brake like (broken sensor that I never replaced) and a light indicating the boot is open (switch issue in the boot). I've put it through MOT twice with these lights, no issues at all.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

My vehicle does not have run flats, nor does it have a spare wheel nor a jack.

Therefore if I get a bad puncture, I would need to call the AA and forget about whatever destination which i was racing towards.

Are run-flats getting towards good value?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on May 04, 2020, 10:55:20 AM

Therefore if I get a bad puncture, I would need to call the AA and forget about whatever destination which i was racing towards.

It won't save you in a really bad puncture, but an electric pump is invaluable for a middling puncture even if you have spare wheel.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Quote from: Orior on May 04, 2020, 10:55:20 AM

The greatest lie ever told was "run-flats" You'll be lucky to get 20 mile out of one. They're also noisy and leave the car ride unbearable. And when you get a flat it'll be at a time when the garage is closed so you'll not be able to get it fixed. The tyre will probably be worn to shit and you'll need a new one and then the garage won't have the size and at that point you'll consider going full Michael Douglas in Falling Down.