The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Heaven

In sporting games - this win if it happens would be up there with all shocks within world sports

ONeill

A suitable avatar for the occasion, TYP.

As for shocks, Bangladesh beating India about an hour ago was one, sort of.

The essence of the D/L method is "resources". Each team is taken to have two "resources" to use to make as many runs as possible: the number of overs they have to receive; and the number of wickets they have in hand. At any point in any innings, a team's ability to score more runs depends on the combination of these two resources. Looking at historical scores, there is a very close correspondence between the availability of these resources and a team's final score, a correspondence which D/L exploits.

Using a published table which gives the percentage of these combined resources remaining for any number of overs (or, more accurately, balls) left and wickets lost, the target score can be adjusted up or down to reflect the loss of resources to one or both teams when a match is shortened one or more times. This percentage is then used to calculate a target (sometimes called a "par score") that is usually a fractional number of runs, which is then rounded down. If the second team passes the target then the second team is taken to have won the match; if the match ends when the second team has exactly met (but not passed) the target then the match is taken to be a tie.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

The Real Laoislad

Do they have a good chance of winning?
They were saying on sky sports that some fella was saying teams like ireland shouldn't be in the world cup and how wrong he will be if ireland can win
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

O'Brien brothers take to the field!!

81 for 4 in 28 overs
47 runs still required, in 19 overs

84 for 4 in 29 overs
44 runs still required, in 18 overs

86 for 4 in 30 overs
42 runs still required, in 17 overs

Maroon Heaven

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

Syd The Sailor

"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

ONeill

Brilliant 4. Good over.

91 for 4 in 31 overs
37 runs still required, in 16 overs

Niall O'Brien's holding the fort.

Maroon Heaven

Anyone seen a Biff jersey yet. You always get some fool in a Biff Jersey at a game like this. Carroll meats love these types of games and gives exposure into the American markets.

Met some yanks in the states 2 years ago, who had just been to Ireland and went on about how lovely the place was and their son Young Tylor had to get himself an Irish Jersey. Fool only bought himself a Biff Jersey. Always said that the Biff should be made change their jersey or put one of those warnings on it "THIS IS NOT AN IRELAND JERSEY"

ONeill

98 for 4 in 32 overs
30 runs still required, in 15 overs

99 for 4 in 33 overs
29 runs still required, in 14 overs

A brilliant 6 ! Niall the hero of this game.

....then bowled!!!!!!!!

Ireland 108 for 5 in 34 overs

Maroon Heaven

Will not be long before this interview is wheeled out by Sky

Ireland wicketkeeper Niall O'Brien has revealed his intention to follow in the footsteps of Ed Joyce and play for England.

Current England opener Joyce qualified for England in July 2005 by virtue of his residency, despite having represented Ireland at international level.

And as the current crop of Ireland players prepare to get their World Cup campaign underway in the Caribbean on Thursday, another ambitious English-based player has emerged from their ranks eager to prove himself on the world stage.

The 25-year-old has moved from Kent to Northamptonshire on a one-year deal for 2007 as cover for Riki Wessels and has taken the decision to represent England internationally, should everything go to plan.

"The reason I went to England in the first place was to play cricket at the highest level and for me that's obviously Test-match cricket," O'Brien told Sky Sports News.

"I'm playing cricket at the highest standard in one-day cricket at the moment, but for me to play at the highest level I want to play Tests so I'm going through the process now of qualifying for England.

"I've done three years and in October I qualify for English citizenship, so yeah, down the road hopefully, but in the meantime I just want to pay well in these first three games.

"Then I want to stamp my authority down at Northants and hopefully get a regular first team spot down there."

Maroon Heaven

Serious money being lost on Betfair on this.

1.3 million on Pakistan to win